• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone have a way to calculate monthly charging $$$

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I purchased a non smart charger just want a way to calculate KW usage to calculate monthly use/cost. Not sure If anyone is savvy with Excel. Not even sure which way would be best to calculate this.... IDK 😄
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Easiest way is to add a circuit monitoring tap that wraps around the 240V line and monitor from you WiFi or BT enabled device.

The hard way will be to calculate kWh consumption using your Ford Pass app, then multiplying by your energy charges.

I just use my Emporia EVSE to keep track of the total kWh used and multiply by $0.21.

For public charging, I have the 3 major DCFC apps on one single business credit card so at the end of the year, it's very easy to tabulate.

OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Easiest way is to add a circuit monitoring tap that wraps around the 240V line and monitor from you WiFi or BT enabled device.

The hard way will be to calculate kWh consumption using your Ford Pass app, then multiplying by your energy charges.

I just use my Emporia EVSE to keep track of the total kWh used and multiply by $0.21.

For public charging, I have the 3 major DCFC apps on one single business credit card so at the end of the year, it's very easy to tabulate.
I guess Im going with the hard way lol

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
One simple way is to use your Trip 1 or Trip 2 and reset it for the period you want. It will tell you the number of miles and the miles/kWh. Divide miles by miles/kWh and you get total kWh used by the battery. Multiply this number by 1.1 to get a rough adder for the charger losses (my FCSP seems to average around 10% higher).

So for example if Trip 1 was for a particular month and it showed 1000 miles and 2.2 miles/kWh, you would take 1000 divided by 2.2 to get 454 kWh. Add 10% for losses (454 x 1.1) to get usage of 500 kWh. You can find your average electric cost on your bill (total cost divided by total kWh). In my area, I pay 13.5 cents/kWh so my cost for this example is 500 kWh x $0.135/kWh = $67.50.

Sponsored
OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
If you just go by kWh usage you will be low as about 10% is lost during charging. Example if your Ford Pass says you added 50kwh your electric meter would show 55kwh of usage.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Instead of tracking incoming power to panel could I just use a lead on each of the lines to my charger?
Yes. I have one on my main and one on my FCSP.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone have a way to calculate monthly charging $$$ Screenshot_20230123_225058_Emporia Energy

And when you set it up you can input your billing schedule and it will give you a total used for the month.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone have a way to calculate monthly charging $$$ Screenshot_20230123_225259_Emporia Energy

Last edited:

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
Yes. I have one on my main and one on my FCSP.

Screenshot_20230123_225058_Emporia Energy.jpg

And when you set it up you can input your billing schedule and it will give you a total used for the month.

Screenshot_20230123_225259_Emporia Energy.jpg
These units are so nice. My wife was working from home a few weeks ago. I called and asked "are you running your space heater in your office. I noticed a spike in usage" I think she hung up on me! :)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
One simple way is to use your Trip 1 or Trip 2 and reset it for the period you want. It will tell you the number of miles and the miles/kWh. Divide miles by miles/kWh and you get total kWh used by the battery. Multiply this number by 1.1 to get a rough adder for the charger losses (my FCSP seems to average around 10% higher).

So for example if Trip 1 was for a particular month and it showed 1000 miles and 2.2 miles/kWh, you would take 1000 divided by 2.2 to get 454 kWh. Add 10% for losses (454 x 1.1) to get usage of 500 kWh. You can find your average electric cost on your bill (total cost divided by total kWh). In my area, I pay 13.5 cents/kWh so my cost for this example is 500 kWh x $0.135/kWh = $67.50.
Not a valid way. Why? Because the trip data is not reliable. Trip data miles per kilowatt hour can be reset by the vehicle for no reason.

This method also assumes no charging outside the home.

Finally, average electric cost will usually include fixed components that you would have incurred anyway.

Some public chargers have no apps, they are free. Some have apps, which may or may not let you download data.

I have slips I fill out while traveling.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Instead of tracking incoming power to panel could I just use a lead on each of the lines to my charger?
This is how you would connect the monitoring loops feeding your EVSE from inside the breaker panel.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone have a way to calculate monthly charging $$$ 1674570932834

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
This is how you would connect the monitoring loops feeding your EVSE from inside the breaker panel.

1674570932834.png
I was going to post a picture of my install but yours is easier to see.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone have a way to calculate monthly charging $$$ Screenshot_20230124_100540_Gallery

Last edited:
OP
OP
theblunden

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

1674570932834.png
Perfect.... Thanks for the picture I ordered it on Amazon last night after your original post @TaxmanHog has never led me astray 😂😂😂

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Not a valid way. Why? Because the trip data is not reliable. Trip data miles per kilowatt hour can be reset by the vehicle for no reason.

This method also assumes no charging outside the home.

Finally, average electric cost will usually include fixed components that you would have incurred anyway.

Some public chargers have no apps, they are free. Some have apps, which may or may not let you download data.

I have slips I fill out while traveling.
I have to disagree with some of this based on what OP asked for.

First he stated he was trying to determine cost of using a non-smart home charger. So he is trying to determine cost of using that. All the other methods presented were also around monitoring this home charger usage. None of these account for away charging and I don’t think he asked for that.

I’m not sure about trip data resetting. Current Trip does indeed reset weirdly and is highly inaccurate. I calculate my efficiency using odometer and battery SOC and I get results similar with Trip 1,2 which I rarely reset though. So I would be interested if you have done detailed testing of Trip 1,2. I have only 1200 miles so I can’t say for sure how accurate Trip 1,2 are.

I acknowledge the fixed cost component. I worked for the electric company for 35 years and have done hundreds of energy audits. Fixed costs are more impactful with commercial and industrial rates though because of high kW charges. Residential rates are usually just a customer charge which I can teach OP to account for. But again, all the other methods presented have the same issue. They get to what the KWh usage is of the home charger and go from there.

It seems like many here have Time of Use rates so they need to use those rates. But even then it can be complicated. Much of Texas is deregulated so the bill may have retail charges and delivery charges. Either one or both may be tiered.

Not everyone wants this accurate to the penny as so I tried to present a simple method that gives them a reasonably accurate talking point.
Sponsored