• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone have battery tips and cabin settings to optimize range in cold weather

ranger5ft21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I just got my Lariat ER in early Feb and loving it so far, but recently it seems the battery isn't holding the charge as well when I start driving in the morning. The last couple days (temps around 30-40°F in the morning), I've lost 10-15 miles within the first few minutes. The temperatures haven't changed much since early February and it wasn't losing this many miles (to my awareness). I also didn't change my cabin temps either. I did start preconditioning the cabin about 5-10 mins before driving, but thought that would help warm the battery instead of deplete that much.

Also, what's the most efficient cabin controls since I know the seat warmers are the most efficient. Is auto the best?

My settings:
  • Cabin - 68° with air on Auto. I don't have the vents toggled on.
  • Start truck about 5-10 mins prior to leaving
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Well, the DTE is consistently wrong when charged in cold weather. It's severely optimistic. I start every day with a 90% charge and 285 mile DTE and after driving 50 miles I lose 100 miles off my range estimate.

I don't think your losing charge. You're just losing range you never really had to begin with.

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Heated seats on max with heated steering wheel. Rarely use cabin heat unless it’s real cold. If I do I just do 64-65 on auto.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The other day I had cabin heat blasted on high 80+ degrees. Looking at trip energy use, showing me climate was taking 40% but mi/KWh seemed to be too good to be true. Does the truck counts cabin energy use in mi/KWh calculation?

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 22 XLT 311pkg
I was actually thinking about this today. I typically have the hvac set to 68 with the floor and front facing vents on. This is comfortable, but I’m not sure if it’s efficient compared to the Auto setting.

I feel when I turn the Auto setting onto high, med, or low it doesn’t do anything and makes the cabin feel cooler. When I’ve tried the Auto setting before I need to raise the temp to 70-72 to feel more comfortable.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You didn’t mention if you’re plugged in when remote starting in order to warm the cabin. If not, that’s where the range is going.

Also, remote starting does not precondition the battery like setting a departure time does. Plugged in, of course.

ETA- You asked for recommendations: Unless you need the range don’t worry about what the GOM is doing. Set the climate to what makes you comfortable and drive away happily. If you are cutting it close on being able to get back home, use departure times to precondition and maximize cold weather range.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ranger5ft21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
The other day I had cabin heat blasted on high 80+ degrees. Looking at trip energy use, showing me climate was taking 40% but mi/KWh seemed to be too good to be true. Does the truck counts cabin energy use in mi/KWh calculation?
That's a good question. I would imagine it should since it's part of your trip energy calculation, but can't say for certain.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I just got my Lariat ER in early Feb and loving it so far, but recently it seems the battery isn't holding the charge as well when I start driving in the morning. The last couple days (temps around 30-40°F in the morning), I've lost 10-15 miles within the first few minutes. The temperatures haven't changed much since early February and it wasn't losing this many miles (to my awareness). I also didn't change my cabin temps either. I did start preconditioning the cabin about 5-10 mins before driving, but thought that would help warm the battery instead of deplete that much.

Also, what's the most efficient cabin controls since I know the seat warmers are the most efficient. Is auto the best?

My settings:
Set a departure time, and plug in...

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER

My settings:
Remote starting the truck does NOT precondition the battery. To precondition, you need to be plugged in and set a departure time.

If you don't need the range, then it doesn't really matter. If you do, set a departure time. If you're not sure when you're going to leave, you can set a departure time to the earliest time you might leave and it will make a big difference even if you leave hours later than the set departure time.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
1) I ignore GOM. Just always be mindful of your MPK (which will vary based on highway drive vs city drives and based on cold) and do the math (see image, that shows a matrix of the range based on MPK and I highlighted my 2 cold weather numbers I use as my own GOM)

2) As others suggest, use departure times with at least 40amp 240v charging (48+ is better). When in doubt set it to your earliest somewhat frequent time.

3) If energy efficiency is your goal, set a daily charge schedule or plug in to be prior to your departure time ( 3 AM to 7 AM for a 7 AM departure ). This will warm your battery using charging and blend right into the Departure time warming.

4) Keep an eye on your tire pressure and try and keep towards the high end of their recommended PSI.

5) if you need the range or care about efficiency then set your cabin temp accordingly. If you dont need the range and comfort is more imporant that efficiency than set your cabin temp accordingly.

6) keep truck clear of snow and ice

Ford F-150 Lightning Anyone have battery tips and cabin settings to optimize range in cold weather Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 12.52.44 PM

Sponsored
OP
OP

ranger5ft21

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Thank you for all the tips! I plugged the truck in last night and set a departure time. The result was no miles lost in the first few minutes compared to losing ~10 miles yesterday when just using the remote start. Today was also around 32° when I left vs yesterday being around 37°. I'm not sure what impact 5° actually has, but colder morning and less miles lost equals a win for me.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
FWIW, unless you're planning to go 200+ miles in the cold, the best of these suggestions is "None of the above". Just go about your business and don't worry about it.

If you're preconditioning or jumping through hoops to get that extra 5-10% range, and then you're getting home with half your battery left it means you wasted all that preconditioning energy and put more wear and tear on your battery for nothing.

If the battery meter had the percentage charge as the biggest number rather than DTE, people would be a lot less worried about this stuff I think.

Oh, also... if you're using the route planning in the nav, always try the "shortest route" option. I have had multiple trips where "shortest" was both shorter (less battery used) AND faster. While fastest and Eco will take you on highways and insert charging stops you wouldn't have needed on the short route.
Sponsored