• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone replace the CCS for J1772 cable on the Charge Station Pro?

Forestsoul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2014 Edge
Has anyone tried replacing the Ford Charge Station Pro cable with a J1772 cable?

This is my first and only EV, so far, but I have people visiting with Teslas and I cannot offer them a charge because of the CCS connector.

I've been contemplating either a new charger, or replacing the CCS cable with a J1772 cable. Basically, removing the current cable and buying a 25 ft replacement or extension cable and wiring it directly to the inside of the box.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

(Wired to a 60A breaker, 48A charging. No plans for backup power through the charger.)
Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Maybe install a 14-50 receptacle so your Tesla friends can use their mobile? Either that, or replace the FCSP with a 48A EVSE financed by the sale of the FCSP. Option 3 would be probably the easiest. Spend about the same money as the J1772 replacement cable on a CCS to Tesla adapter. (Check with manufacturer to make sure it has the pins in the J1772 conductors.)

https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...ast-charge-your-tesla-with-ccs-chargers-black

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I have simply modified a Tesla to J1772 adapter that is rated for 80 amps by clipping away some of the plastic that prevented it from attaching to the CCS end of the FCSP. The problem is that my MY Tesla doesn’t always accept a charge from the FCSP. It seems more willing to take a charge when it has a low SOC, but I really haven’t found a reason. It charges about 40% of the time. I also have a NEMA 14-50 with the Tesla mobile charger plugged in and it works 100% of the time. Even when the Tesla does charge off the FCSP it only does so at 48 amps, so if you get a 48 amp EVSE you will be able to max out a Tesla.

OP
OP
Forestsoul

Forestsoul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2014 Edge
Thanks for the advice.

Although I had hopes, the CCS to Tesla adaptors don't work. I have tried it, and the Teslas won't begin a charge. Ive heard mixed results for modifying a J1772 to Tesla adaptor to fit on the FCSP. Most people say it doesn't work, but @Joneii seems to have some luck

I don't have the panel space for an additional 14-50 install. I would have to talk to an electrician about having the ability to use the same breaker, but have a switch between the FCSP and a 14-50, so I could use one at a time. If that's possible.

I'm thinking that, like suggested, it may be easiest and cheapest to just sell the FCSP and buy another 48A J1772 charger.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Why does everyone visiting you have to charge?

Let them use 120v.

OP
OP
Forestsoul

Forestsoul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2014 Edge
Why does everyone visiting you have to charge?

Let them use 120v.
I'm also looking at Tesla for a second vehicle, so I'm thinking about longer term and a more universal charger.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The CCS to Tesla adapters on the market are for Charging Teslas at CCS DC fast chargers. The FCSP is an AC charger and the CCS adapter will not work because it connects the DC pins of the CCS connector to the Tesla, not the AC pins. (Tesla uses an unusual technique that uses the same pins for both AC and DC power transfer with some sort of special signaling, likely on the pilot wires, to tell the car to switch the contacts from the on-board charger directly to battery voltage)
If you want to charge Teslas reliably and charge an ER Lightning at max rate, I’d suggest an 80a Tesla V2 wall charger and an 80a TeslaTap adapter for the Lightning. If you plan to stay with the 60a circuit, I’d sell the FCSP and buy a 48a EVSE to put in its place. State of Charge on YouTube has lots of reviews of EVSEs to help you choose what’s best for you. Lots of people seem to like the Emporia for the $$$.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
If you have no plans to upgrade your panel, or use the whole home backup, get rid of it. It is buggy and the CCS plug is bulky and annoying. Sell it on eBay or elsewhere and get yourself a good quality EVSE (I've been recommending Emporia to anyone that asks) that is reliable. You'll be happier with that setup even if no one else ever uses it.

(The Emporia can be hardwired for 48a, or plugged into a 14-50 for 40a)

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Has anyone tried replacing the Ford Charge Station Pro cable with a J1772 cable?

This is my first and only EV, so far, but I have people visiting with Teslas and I cannot offer them a charge because of the CCS connector.

I've been contemplating either a new charger, or replacing the CCS cable with a J1772 cable. Basically, removing the current cable and buying a 25 ft replacement or extension cable and wiring it directly to the inside of the box.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

(Wired to a 60A breaker, 48A charging. No plans for backup power through the charger.)
Have them bring their charging cable and charge at 120v? Not optimal but I guess it depends on how often they will be visiting.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'm also looking at Tesla for a second vehicle, so I'm thinking about longer term and a more universal charger.
There are a lot of good 3rd party EVSE's from what others say, but if you add a Tesla to the garage - there is nothing wrong with the Tesla WC and with a Tesla Tap it will easily still charge the Lightning and other CCS vehicles.

Start by dumping the Ford junk either way you go.

https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector?sku=1457768-02-G

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
A lot of ideas instead of the simplest solution (short of selling it and buying a new EVSE): you can buy the J1772 head. You don't have to buy an entire cable to swap the connector.

An electrician might drop in and explain this better (or correct me) but you might encounter some mismatching issues if you swap EVSEs. Right now, your wiring was sized for 100A continuous (3 AWG) but the lugs on a 60A EVSE won't accept 3 AWG wiring (the diameter is too large), you can't terminate the wires to an outlet for 60A (has to be direct wired), and a 14-50 outlet wouldn't accept 3 AWG wiring anyway (same reason the direct wired EVSE won't accept them--they aren't expected to be connected to wiring that thick). If you look at your 100A breaker you'll probably find that the lugs are larger than a 60A breaker...unless you sized your wire and breaker for 60A, which is a different issue altogether (since the FCSP can be set up to 80A everything in the circuit should be sized for that capacity even if the installer turned the settings down).

So you might find you have to buy an 80A EVSE to replace the FCSP. Or none of this matters and the circuit is only sized for 60A in which case the FCSP should be sold because you're never going to be able to use it's full capacity.

cobraowner

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Cobra Convertible, 2022 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Owner
I’ve thought about doing this with mine. The CCS pins in th FCSP are only used for home integration so if you are not using that feature they are a waste of space And force you to deal with that crappy door On the truck covering the CCS socket

Ford should have kept a standard J1772 connector without CCS and just shipped the CCS connector with the HIS setup Which will probably only be used by less than 2-5% of owners.
Sponsored