• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anyone switch from a Tesla and regret it?

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Model Y and Lightning on order
I currently have a model Y, came from a tundra, love it but miss the functionality of truck. I just ordered my lightning and plan to sell the Y but I’m hoping I don’t regret it. Biggest concern is the charging network, it’s nonexistent for any other EV, the tech concerns me as well but that can be more subjective.
Sponsored

SteelTerp87

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Lariat 2.7L (Platinum Lightning on Order
Occupation
Self-Employed
I currently have a model Y, came from a tundra, love it but miss the functionality of truck. I just ordered my lightning and plan to sell the Y but I’m hoping I don’t regret it. Biggest concern is the charging network, it’s nonexistent for any other EV, the tech concerns me as well but that can be more subjective.
Tesla is about to open the SC network up to all EV’s so that concern should go away since you are used to it. Tech won’t compare to Tesla because Tesla is a tech company. Eventually Google will be developing the Sync system so that will help. Not sure if we Lightnings will be able to upgrade to Sync 5 when released though. I would think we can since it’s just software and you can upgrade a computer system like Mac or Windows but time will tell.
There are many postings on this forum from previous Tesla owners that rave about the truck for what it is, a truck, and the build quality vs Tesla.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
It will depend on where you live and how often you travel. I’m located in Lake Tahoe and travel to SF Bay Area twice a month, using my EV for the commute mainly. I sold my Y and have only had my Lightning for a little over three weeks now. I do miss the infrastructure and seamless use of it, but in no way it’s a deal breaker. As far as missing driving the Y compared to the Lightning, none at all! I’m extremely happy I made the switch.

I will be making a run to Missoula Montana via a stop at Twin Falls, Idaho, so Im crossing my fingers the infrastructure on that route doesn’t change my mind.

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve been hearing tesla is opening up the infrastructure for years, they finally started somewhat overseas, we’ll see if/when it happens here. We have a beach house (just over 100 miles away) we are constantly driving to and there are zero fast chargers along the way, only tesla. While we can charge at the house, it’s nice to have at least one fast charger along that route especially when towing a boat/Jetski.
I know the build quality will be much better in the lightning but what worries me is the actual EV quality. I’m curious to see how the range is effected in the cold weather where tesla seems to shine. I do love the updates and constantly evolving of Tesla’s as well but the lightning is so much more usable with the bed, towing and all those outlets!

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I don’t regret it. I was just reading over on the Tesla forums that they are updating radar Tesla’s with new software that disables radar and makes them vision only.

My biggest gripe with Tesla was how much control they had over the vehicle and how they took advantage of that.

Ford probably has the same control but I don’t think they are interested in downgrading the vehicle with OTA updates.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I’ve been hearing tesla is opening up the infrastructure for years, they finally started somewhat overseas, we’ll see if/when it happens here. We have a beach house (just over 100 miles away) we are constantly driving to and there are zero fast chargers along the way, only tesla. While we can charge at the house, it’s nice to have at least one fast charger along that route especially when towing a boat/Jetski.
I know the build quality will be much better in the lightning but what worries me is the actual EV quality. I’m curious to see how the range is effected in the cold weather where tesla seems to shine. I do love the updates and constantly evolving of Tesla’s as well but the lightning is so much more usable with the bed, towing and all those outlets!
I just saw some testing reports on the Mach-e forums that the Mach-e and Model Y both have the same % range reduction in the cold (measured at 15F), so the Lightning should be similar.

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
I have a Model X and have had my ER Lariat for a month and have driven over 1400 miles. If I had to chose I would pick to keep my Lightning.

For all the knocks on Ford customer service it is significantly better. I have had a few minor issue and Ford has been great to problem solved the issues. I have had several serious issues with my X and Tesla and it service centers have been awful.

In regards to charging. I have found there to be more than enough chargers for the Lightning. But as with a Teslas where you live or are is the biggest factor in charger availability.

in regards to fit and finish my Lariat had none of the body panel issues my X had when I went to pick it up.

JacksonHandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, previous GTI and F150 SCREW Lariat 3.5eco
I have a Y and the Lightning. After almost 4000 miles, they're just... different. I much prefer the ride and space of the Lightning, ventilated seats are something I missed from my 2015 F150. The FordPass app and the truck's connectivity to that are sometimes terrible, which should be improved ASAP. Tesla has no peer in that realm.

There are some of the seamless parts of the Tesla that I like, PaaK, profiles, etc, but they are in no way deal breakers. It's just as quick, and certainly more functional for me in the Lightning.

My wife likes the Y so much that she's wondering if we even need the Rivian we have reserved.

There is enough DCFC infrastructure where I'm at in GA that I've done multi-day work trips in the truck. Only the Pooler, GA EA charger is terrible. It seems that EA and others will continue to build out based on the investments announced.

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
I have a Y and the Lightning. After almost 4000 miles, they're just... different. I much prefer the ride and space of the Lightning, ventilated seats are something I missed from my 2015 F150. The FordPass app and the truck's connectivity to that are sometimes terrible, which should be improved ASAP. Tesla has no peer in that realm.

There are some of the seamless parts of the Tesla that I like, PaaK, profiles, etc, but they are in no way deal breakers. It's just as quick, and certainly more functional for me in the Lightning.

My wife likes the Y so much that she's wondering if we even need the Rivian we have reserved.

There is enough DCFC infrastructure where I'm at in GA that I've done multi-day work trips in the truck. Only the Pooler, GA EA charger is terrible. It seems that EA and others will continue to build out based on the investments announced.
Do you have the Ford Charge Station Pro for your Lightning and have you charged the Y on it? More likely you have a TeslaTap for the Lightning to charge off your Tesla charger.

JacksonHandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, previous GTI and F150 SCREW Lariat 3.5eco
Do you have the Ford Charge Station Pro for your Lightning and have you charged the Y on it? More likely you have a TeslaTap for the Lightning to charge off your Tesla charger.

I have the FCSP, but it isn't installed. It has a CCS1 connector so it cannot charge the Y, I don't have a Tesla CCS1 adapter.

No Tesla Chargers, we have a Juicebox 40 installed now (we always planned on a Rivian of one flavor). That is fine for the truck for now. I use a 20amp, 240v 6-20r circuit for my bandsaw to charge the Y now, which is fine for my wife's usage pattern.

I do have the lightning specific TeslaTap for destination chargers if needed.

Sponsored

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
I have the FCSP, but it isn't installed. It has a CCS1 connector so it cannot charge the Y, I don't have a Tesla CCS1 adapter.

No Tesla Chargers, we have a Juicebox 40 installed now (we always planned on a Rivian of one flavor). That is fine for the truck for now. I use a 20amp, 240v 6-20r circuit for my bandsaw to charge the Y now, which is fine for my wife's usage pattern.

I do have the lightning specific TeslaTap for destination chargers if needed.
Since the FCSP does not actually DC charge on the CCS1 would the J1772 to Tesla adapter fit/work with the top portion of the CCS1?

swesson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I had one of the first Model X's built and drove it for about 7 years. It was a great car. I typically trade cars out every 3 years, and the Model X made it past double that time because it was a great car and nothing I saw in the intervening time was a better vehicle.

The best thing about a Tesla is the charging network, which is much better and more reliable than the Electrify America network. I miss that, but in all the years I had the MX, I only took 5 cross-country trips. For most people, this is probably just not enough to base buying a car on. So, out of 85,000 miles of driving, I took less than 10% of those miles in this type of driving. I have already taken a 2,000-mile trip in my Lightning, and it did fine. Was it the same experience as the Tesla? No, there were a couple of nervous moments when arriving at charging stations when all or most of them were down (this happened twice in 7 years with Tesla). I think Ford can learn much from Tesla on how to make the Lightning more useful from the app. I miss all the controls the Tesla gave me to control the climate, the windows, start and drive the car, etc. from the app. But Ford will learn and add these in time, I am sure.

I don't regret the decision to buy the Lightning. It is a well-built truck and has already proven itself more useful for my needs since I live in a rural area. I like the flexibility it gives me. I like the Car Play much more than the proprietary Tesla system that went years without updating maps, for example. I also love how many accessories already fit since it was based upon the ICE version. It took years to get accessories for the Model X.

Overall, cars are such a personal purchase, and everyone's experience will vary, but I am satisfied with my move from the Model X to the Lightning. It works for me.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I've had a few Teslas and still have a MYP. I have since moved on from a model S Perf to a Taycan 4S a MME GTPE and a F150 Lightning. I've done more roadtrips in the Taycan and the F150 than any of my Teslas. I am not going to sit here and tell you that CCS DCFC is anywhere as good as Tesla's SC network but it's totally workable with little prep from ABRP and PlugShare. I normally do that and then try not to actually use it. I did a 2500 mile trip from 8-19 to 8-26 up and down the east coast using nothing but the Ford Nav and charging. Moreover, if Tesla does eventually open up SC to non-Tesla EVs that will really be a game changer for road tripping EVs.

Now, to the Lightning, in short it's fantastic. Fast, comfortable and a nice luxury SUV type ride. Some people may say it's a bit too soft but I absolutely love this truck and II have owned / own a number.

If you enjoy pickup trucks and EVs then this is your intersection.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
We have a beach house (just over 100 miles away) we are constantly driving to and there are zero fast chargers along the way, only tesla. While we can charge at the house, it’s nice to have at least one fast charger along that route especially when towing a boat/Jetski.
Towing is a separate matter.

You’ll want a fast charger station along the way for a regular 100 mile tow: not because it’s impossible to get 100 miles (depending on conditions), but because for such regular trips you’ll likely want more buffer.

reports around here suggest that range is dependent less on the weight of the tow package and more on (A) the particular aerodynamics of the tow package and (B) the desired speed.

If your tow package turns out to be materially aerodynamic and you’re comfortable towing at 55mph, you may end up with plenty of buffer absent a charge.

OP
OP

JSJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m glad to see no one regrets it. I figured I’ll sell/trade the tesla in and give the lightning a try. I may have to settle for the XLT SR due to the new tax credit in 23 unless I can get a lariat ER delivered in 22 (order is in but might change it if it’s not going to make it, ford says delivery in autumn 22). Also figure I can always order a MYP and sell the lightning if I find it’s not suitable for my needs. If tesla does in fact open the charging network, that definitely will be a game changer for all other EVs. Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored