• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Article: Cybertruck is now a unibody vehicle

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The first competitor to reach its customers was the Rivian R1T, followed by the GMC Hummer EV and the Ford F-150 Lightning. All of them are body-on-frame vehicles. The Cybertruck was definitely not the first, but it could at least be the best.
The Hummer is definitely not a body-on-frame vehicle, unless you count the battery pack as the 'frame.'

I personally think the unibody vs. body-on-frame debate is overblown, but I think the F150 has some benefits in regards to isolation of NVH from the road, bed and trailer.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Nothing wrong with that. The Ridgeline is actually a nice CUV with a truck bed.

Tesla fans are fighting over this, how Elon said Exoskeleton but didn’t really mean it that way 🤣

CT is just a wide body Ridgeline, not a bad thing and those who buy one will be happy because it rides and drives like a car all while being bullet proof, submarine and the greatest invention ever.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Tesla fans are fighting over this, how Elon said Exoskeleton but didn’t really mean it that way 🤣

CT is just a wide body Ridgeline, not a bad thing and those who buy one will be happy because it rides and drives like a car all while being bullet proof, submarine and the greatest invention ever.
Yeah - I loved the comments. That is just the sub-frame, it isn't unibody!

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

Maybe his statement about it being an exoskeleton was a deep-fake.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass

As a former Ridgeline owner, I think the bigger change is the suspension vs the frame. I noticed a bigger difference between a leaf spring F-150 vs the F-150 Lightning than I did between my Ridgeline and Lightning.

I think there's even further differences between the body frame method of the R1T vs the Lightning in isolation because of whether the body is hard mounted to the frame or sitting up on isolators. The difference there is the tilt, but ride and drive is not all that far apart...

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
The target CT customers (primarily energy drink companies, social media influencers and hard-rock radio stations) won't care that it has a unibody.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The target CT customers (primarily energy drink companies, social media influencers and hard-rock radio stations)
Don't forget the 'wrappers'. :)

I expect to see some real interesting wraps on those things. A Rocky Mountain mountain would be about the right proportions.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
Don't forget the 'wrappers'. :)

I expect to see some real interesting wraps on those things. A Rocky Mountain mountain would be about the right proportions.
It does look like it will be really easy to wrap with all of those flat surfaces and straight edges.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
It does look like it will be really easy to wrap with all of those flat surfaces and straight edges.
How well do wraps stick to SS? I know it has issues with paint, not sure if wraps will be a problem. Or do we expect the next announcement to be that it's not painted stainless steel like my fridge is instead of being actual SS.

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
I just want to know what the mods will be for that wiper blade and how much impact it has on range. if changing my rims causes a 10% loss, that thing has to contribute at least 15%...

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I've always had a gut feeling that the final production CT would be a far departure from the concept that has been shown so far. Maybe this is step one in that transition.

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I just want to know what the mods will be for that wiper blade and how much impact it has on range. if changing my rims causes a 10% loss, that thing has to contribute at least 15%...
The Giga wiper exists, because Tesla was trimming costs at every turn on the CT. It’s a full on terrible solution. Fine for California where rain is a rare occurrence, but elsewhere in the country, likely quite ineffective at clearing a big flat windshield.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Elon Musk showed up at a groundbreaking for a lithium refining plant near me driving a Cybertruck. Photo from the local paper attached.
Ford F-150 Lightning Article: Cybertruck is now a unibody vehicle 1683594819907
Sponsored