• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery not holding up?

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
So I have an ER lariat. My battery has dropped 70 miles in range in a week. I don't do much highway driving maybe 15 mins every other day at 70 to 75, no hot dog driving, no towing ever, charge only with a normal 110 outlet in my insulated garage. I'm in CT and the temperature has been in the 70s to low 50s at night. My garage does not get much below 50 even in the dead of winter.

I charge to 90% like the manual says on a 110 outlet. I get in the truck after it's changed to 90% and it says I have 250 miles of range. I drive less then 2 miles and I'm down to 82% charge.

I should have 320 range at 100%. I understand losing some range. But 70 miles? I don't understand what going on? I also reset my EV driving and nothing changed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery not holding up? 20221004_165213
Ford F-150 Lightning Battery not holding up? 20221004_164810
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Genuine question, is this your first EV?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I began the day at 90% and projected range was only 242.

The previous night I was showing off my truck for a friend in sport mode and hot dogging it a bit.
I have been pre*conditioning the cabin before departure, but still using cabin heating to ~73Âş

I guess my drive style and temps are impacting range, but my goal is not to hyper-mile or be on the ready for a 320 mile road trip, be ready to roll with the punches through winter season.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I told Admin to make a sticky or mandatory read. It would help with a lot of these questions getting ready to come up here in the next coming months. It never fails

This morning I had 250 at 90% in much warmer weather

Sponsored
OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Genuine question, is this your first EV?
Yes but not my family's first EV. 70 miles in lost range and a 8% battery loss in less then 2 miles is not normal no matter what EV you have.

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Leaf SV+, 2016 Ram Big Horn
Occupation
watchmaker
You haven't lost range or capactiy. Your miles per kilowatt is simply very low for some reason.

Sc954rr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Volvo XC90
I'm in NJ and noticed my range going down faster then last week and realized that using the cabin heater definitely impacts the range more so then just using the heated seats/wheel. Last week was nice and sunny driving with the windows down no cabin conditioning or heated seats/wheel on my range was 2.5-3 around town.

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
You haven't lost range or capactiy. Your miles per kilowatt is simply very low for some reason.
I agree but like I said it's all over the place. 2.2 to 1.5 for no reason. It just started doing this.

Sponsored
OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
I reset my EV driving and it still does not update the range.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Yes but not my family's first EV. 70 miles in lost range and a 8% battery loss in less then 2 miles is not normal no matter what EV you have.
So you are familiar with the Guess-o-Meter then. The underlying calculation for the Ford GoM is very pessimistic. The thought was to err on the side of caution rather then have people run out of battery.

The best thing to do would be measure miles per SoC (which it seems like you are doing as well) and almost ignore the GoM

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
I told Admin to make a sticky or mandatory read. It would help with a lot of these questions getting ready to come up here in the next coming months. It never fails

This morning I had 250 at 90% in much warmer weather
Unless you are hotdogging it or towing you should not lose 70 miles in range in warm temperatures.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Also, 110v charging will not precondition your battery so as soon as you start you are using battery power to get the battery warmed up

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
So you are familiar with the Guess-o-Meter then. The underlying calculation for the Ford GoM is very pessimistic. The thought was to err on the side of caution rather then have people run out of battery.

The best thing to do would be measure miles per SoC (which it seems like you are doing as well) and almost ignore the GoM
I do have a car scanner that plugs in. What should I be looking at with that? I'm not sure what sensor to look at?
Sponsored