• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best Color Match for Lariat’s Dark Wheels ?

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Seeing the 1st delivery today, (which was AWESOME!) , those bright Platinum wheels looked amazing …..but,

Lariat’s only wheel choice is the dark Carbonized Gray color,
which I’m not a fan of,
and I wonder what body color choices just clash or don’t match up with these Lariat wheels ?

It seems some colors get knocked out for Lariats because they just don’t pair well with the gray wheels, though the body color might look great with the brighter wheels of the XLT or Platinum.

I’ve got a Star White Lariat coming, and just hope I don’t dread the way the gray wheels look against the bright white body color.

For the big $ a Lariat costs, it’s unfortunate to be stuck with a non-traditional dark wheel color, which might blend especially poorly with a particular body color.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Atlas Blue and Rapid Red look best IMO. I went with Smoked Quartz but i might swap out the wheels. The Lariat wheel design is one of the few misses on this truck. It doesn’t look great with any color and downright bad with a few. There should have been options or just a better standard wheel. It’s an $80k vehicle feechrissakes.

Rekoil

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Carbon Lariat ER
Occupation
Basket Weaving
Think the obvious answer is the carbon gray metallic with the carbon gray wheels, but depends on the shades of gray. Hopefully they are not too different in person. In photos I feel it works but the lighting can throw things WAY off.

Last edited:

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I have the same observation. I ordered iced blue and the light blue is not a good match with dark wheels. I wish they put on regular alloy wheel without any coating.

Not sure if I should change the color.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am not the biggest fan of the wheels. 18 inch versions are the best, but going to keep my Iced Blue color and see how they look in person. If I can't live with it, I will probably look aftermarket or see if I can get a set of the 18s

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Dark wheels look best in a monochrome setup (white, black, gray, silver) IMO, but everyone has their own view of things. I also have star white on order and I think it's the best match for the dark wheels. I like the contrast. Similarly I think silver wheels with a monochrome body color is a little boring. I have a dark gray truck now and I painted my stock silver wheels black. On my dark blue car I went with bright machined silver. I really like red and blue paint as well, but not with dark wheels. They're a good choice for the Platinum trim, IMO.

N38

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3, GMC Yukon
I went with carbonized gray - very hard to tell from videos what end result will be. I’m hoping it will look great.

4/25 production week, still in production on website

Nickbommer

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning xlt ordered
Occupation
IT
Stone Gray Metallic is probably the worst choice with those wheels! Although, maybe it would look good in person. I have seen a ton of lightnings driving past fords EV building everyday and I have yet to see one that I thought didn't look good. Rapid Red looks great and makes me rethink my choice every time I see it. My truck is coming with the 18" wheels but I hoping to find the 20" gray ones that someone is trying to get rid of.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I am not the biggest fan of the wheels. 18 inch versions are the best, but going to keep my Iced Blue color and see how they look in person. If I can't live with it, I will probably look aftermarket or see if I can get a set of the 18s
Agree - same here.
I would have preferred to choose between 18" and 20". Much prefer the 18" XLT rims w/ 35" tires IMO.

Ordered Lariat trim in ice blue silver and was thinking about the color combo.

Now it has "grown on me" and I don't mind as the brake dust won't show on these wheels.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Agree - same here.
I would have preferred to choose between 18" and 20". Much prefer the 18" XLT rims w/ 35" tires IMO.

Now it has "grown on me" and I don't mind as the brake dust won't show on these wheels.
Very true on the brake dust!

35's look great, but I don't think I could deal with that big efficiency and range hit (not to mention the loss of acceleration). I will stick with the factory 33's.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Agree - same here.

It's an EV...not so much brake dust. Actually in my experience with EV and phev there has been very little brake dust, but lots of rotor rust.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
It's an EV...not so much brake dust. Actually in my experience with EV and phev there has been very little brake dust, but lots of rotor rust.

Well, if they use anything like they did on the MME, there will be brake dust, and a LOT of it.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Well, if they use anything like they did on the MME, there will be brake dust, and a LOT of it.
It is more efficient to use regenerative braking primarily, when you can drive like that almost exclusively the rotors suffer. VW using drums on the rear is not a bad idea. At two years old the inside of the front rotors looked awful (outside was fine) and it almost failed inspection because of that. Adding a bit of friction brakes early will consume more pad and generate more dust, but will probably be better for overall longevity

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
I absolutely love the lariat wheels. I hate the platinum wheels. So much machined metal looks dumb to me. I would have preferred the lariat wheels in 20" though. I am also coming for 20" inch black alloy on the fx4. So these type of wheels are always my preference. I prefer a sporty look.
Sponsored