• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bike Rack and parking sensors

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
For those of you who bike a lot and use a hitch mounted bike rack, do you remove your rack anytime you aren't using it? I have a 1Up USA rack with a single tray so it's small and light weight. My previous vehicle (2008 Acura MDX) didn't have parking sensors so I left the rack on full time and I didn't have to worry about the tailgate accidentally hitting the rack. It was also a short vehicle. Now I prefer the clean look of the truck without the rack and having the rack on makes the sensors go off and makes the truck even longer. If I flip the rack up the tailgate will hit and if I leave it down it extends the length of the truck. I'm also worried that at some time the tailgate will get dropped and make contact with the rack while it's in the up position. First world problems but just curious what others do.

I would look into a tailgate pad but I have a trifold bed cover and not sure it would work well and create water tight seal if I left it on most of the time.
Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I like the look without the rack when not being used. I also like the sensors. So, I won't have it in there when not in use.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I have a 1UP rack that spends most of the summer on my hitch. Yes, the truck looks better without it. I disable the backup sensors; but I do that even when the rack is off because I’m tired of the truck slamming on the brakes every time I’m backing up in a parking lot where there’s other vehicles moving about. The rack doesn’t hit my bumper or tailgate in the up position. Don’t release the tailgate unless the rack is fully lowered or it will hit.
Sponsored