• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
After reading good reviews on the ICE forums, I decided to try this kit to get more control over the floaty, bouncy front ride. It works great, still a good ride, but flatter, and without the float. Seems to match the motions of the rear suspension pretty well now.

Height increase was not as much as the settings show for the gas trucks, but still raised the front 1-1.5" using the 2" setting - 5th groove out of 6 available. I'd suggest the 6th groove for those wanting closer to a 2" level. No issues with adaptive cruise so far.

The new springs actually have smaller wire diameter (.730"), which should be a lighter spring rate, but it does not feel that way at all.

A few vendors have these, be sure to check stock as they come in and out. Around $800 or so, a couple of hundred less than the fox coilover setup.
Bilstein B8 6112 Suspension Kit 47-323841
Ford F-150 Lightning Bilstein 6112 Leveling Kit Installed - Specs, Impressions & Photos bsn-47-323841_fs_xl-

Still have 1-1.5" of rake
Ford F-150 Lightning Bilstein 6112 Leveling Kit Installed - Specs, Impressions & Photos 52267746861_3aa603531b_z

Ford F-150 Lightning Bilstein 6112 Leveling Kit Installed - Specs, Impressions & Photos 52267973895_3e34693769_z

Tested with the empty horse trailer, still small rake left.
Ford F-150 Lightning Bilstein 6112 Leveling Kit Installed - Specs, Impressions & Photos 52267761088_e13d3b5c5b_z

Ford F-150 Lightning Bilstein 6112 Leveling Kit Installed - Specs, Impressions & Photos 52267973475_5458caaae4
Sponsored

Last edited:

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Lightning is a lot heavier than ICE truck. This lighter spring may not be strong enough.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Thanks for your review. If your springs are .730, they're the same diameter as stock and should have the same spring rate (assuming the same number of coils):

Ford F-150 Lightning Bilstein 6112 Leveling Kit Installed - Specs, Impressions & Photos 1659873649723

Lightning springs appear to be a touch longer (2/3 - 3/4 inch) than ICE springs:

Ford F-150 Lightning Bilstein 6112 Leveling Kit Installed - Specs, Impressions & Photos 1659873767161

My guess is that Bilstein specs a 12" spring (since these were originally developed for the ICE truck), which would explain the discrepancy in not getting the same 2" lift as an equivalent ICE truck when using the same spring perch setting.

OP
OP
webspoke

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
Good to see the ICE spring charts also. Actually the spring on my truck, (Lariat ER) was .75 wire diameter, about 16".5" free length. Seems like its the same springs as platinums because of the big battery and many of the same options like the moonroof.

I was worried about the bilsteins being softer rates, but the real world driving experience they feel similar, to stiffer. probably due to the greater preload to get the lift, and stiffer compression damping. Overall I'm really pleased, and it was good to try it out before changing wheels or tires.

krusshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 VW ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2016 Ram 1500
Looks good with a bit of rake! Full leveling looks goofy IMO with too much gap in the front.

Sponsored

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
This is the perfect stance in my opinion. What size tires are you going to put on? I plan to upsize 1" from the stock Pro/XLT tires, this looks like the perfect kit for that.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
I think these are exactly what I’m looking for. Just a bit of a level and a better ride quality. I wonder if there is a matching set for the rear.

I’m going to see if I can find a shop to install these and then maybe do wheels and tires. I may go down to 18s or 17s to get more sidewall. Not sure yet but shocks first.

JLightning31

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
White Lightning Platinum
Good to see the ICE spring charts also. Actually the spring on my truck, (Lariat ER) was .75 wire diameter, about 16".5" free length. Seems like its the same springs as platinums because of the big battery and many of the same options like the moonroof.

I was worried about the bilsteins being softer rates, but the real world driving experience they feel similar, to stiffer. probably due to the greater preload to get the lift, and stiffer compression damping. Overall I'm really pleased, and it was good to try it out before changing wheels or tires.
Any updates, are you still enjoying the ride quality? How has the range impact been? Has anyone confirmed these are rated to handle the weight of the Lightning? Thanks

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@webspoke how is it after running the new shocks for a while? Any appreciable range degradation? Still enjoying the ride?

F150LTNG

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
I have this exact setup just sitting in my garage waiting for my lightning to arrive. Should be any day now delivery date got pushed back due to the railroad strike negotiations. I had them set to 2” I have method wheels with 295 70 18 Toyo AT3. Really can’t wait to get my truck!

Sponsored

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
Bilstein 6112 level, 5 of 6 clicks (same as webspoke above). Now to get those Nitto Recon Grapplers.

Ford F-150 Lightning Bilstein 6112 Leveling Kit Installed - Specs, Impressions & Photos IMG_2623

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Bilstein 6112 level, 5 of 6 clicks (same as webspoke above). Now to get those Nitto Recon Grapplers.

IMG_2623.jpg
Nice and impressions? Any range issues? If so I'd imagine the slight lift would be very modest. Self install or did you take it to a shop?

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
Nice and impressions? Any range issues? If so I'd imagine the slight lift would be very modest. Self install or did you take it to a shop?
Improves front end ride & handling. Less floaty. I have not noticed any range change.

I expect the range drop will come when I change the tires. Looking at the Nitto recon grappler P285/55r20 (non-LT) to keep weight gain at a minimum, however I assume the wider track will hit range pretty hard.

I had a shop install the 6112 as they need to be “assembled” with spring compressor etc. and reusing existing top mount. You can also order them prebuilt from a few vendors. This seems like the preferred option for a diy install.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I need to find a shop that can do this install. I really want these just to level it out a bit. I want to do wheels and tires but still researching which I'd like to go with. Thanks.

OP
OP
webspoke

webspoke

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning! F450, GT500
@webspoke how is it after running the new shocks for a while? Any appreciable range degradation? Still enjoying the ride?
Just saw this, the ride and handling are still very good, not harsh, but no more floaty and soggy feeling. This is how the truck should come from the factory. I think you could get close to the same results with just the bilstein 5100 shock replacement, but I liked having springs tuned for the shocks.
Sponsored