• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BlueCruise unstable on curvy roads

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I have noticed several times now that blue cruise can not handle curves very well at all.
- Loop 1 in Austin
- W 290 in Austin
starts bouncing off lane markers and then throws warning.

I also notice that on divided multi-lane road it still seems to prefer the right side of lane and not the center. I tried many times to coerce it to center or left side but it goes back every time.

Another big thing is it just switches to regular non-hands free without any audible warning or chime.

I hope we get an update soon to fix this.
Sponsored

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I noticed the switch to non-hands free without an audible warning. That freaked me out the first time.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I have noticed several times now that blue cruise can not handle curves very well at all.
- Loop 1 in Austin
- W 290 in Austin

I also notice that on divided multi-lane road it still seems to prefer the right side of lane and not the center. I tried many times to coerce it to center or left side but it goes back every time.

Another big thing is it just switches to regular non-hands free without any audible warning or chime.

Don't think we'll get an update as it appears to be beyond the hadware's ability to cope with the g-forces and speeds that sometimes occur in these situations, as well as its dumb approach to obeying speed limits regardless of conditions. The way Tesla handles this is to anticipate the curve and slow down, but that requires a combination of "vision" and smart mapping that isn't an element of BlueCruise strategy. I have this behavior all the time. Ford can at least add a "Take over now" warning and sound when it gives up, which I find ison nearly every drive in my PowerBoost.

OP
OP
LightningMcqueen

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I am not really doing anything aggressive. And some of the curves are gentle it should be able to handle it. My wife bronco sport with lane centering does fine.

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
When Sandy Munro drove the Mustang Mach E with Ford they told him that is a limitation of their implementation. He really gave them poor feedback on that and told them to get their act together. Unfortunately I didn't hear a hint of them suggesting it would get better.

Sponsored

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I am not really doing anything aggressive. And some of the curves are gentle it should be able to handle it. My wife bronco sport with lane centering does fine.
The difference is Blue Cruise, AKA hands free. The lightning does have the option to use standard cruise control with lane centering, I wonder if it would be more or less naggy than Blue Cruise.

I have found the Lightning can make the curves just fine without holding the wheel, it just gets scared and wants you to hold it.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
There are a number of 45 mph curves near me on state highways, and with Bluecruise, the Lightning regularly drifts across the center line, then panics and screams at me to take over if I haven't canceled it already. It doesn't slow down in time to make the curve safely.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought BC hands-free doesn't warn when it disengages?
This isn't hands-free -- state highway. There's "bluecruise" and "bluecruise hands-free".

Bluecruise hands-free is generally going to be on freeway-style roads which won't have curves requiring a slow-down to 45 mph or less.

When I engage cruise on the local state highway, it says "bluecruise on" and reminds you to keep hands on steering wheel - and it follows the lanes.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
This isn't hands-free -- state highway. There's "bluecruise" and "bluecruise hands-free".

Bluecruise hands-free is generally going to be on freeway-style roads which won't have curves requiring a slow-down to 45 mph or less.
Right, so what used to be LKA has an audible warning? My Fusion just does the wheel shaker when it's being pissy.

Sponsored

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
If you are truly watching the road in the distance you really won’t see the change to not hands free. There should certainly be a sound added. The problem is that it jumps in and out of hands free so much that a sound would drive you crazy. Mine jumps out of hands free in most minor curves on a relatively easy stretch of road.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Right, so what used to be LKA has an audible warning? My Fusion just does the wheel shaker when it's being pissy.
As far as I can recall... I was pretty freaked out that it was drifting into the oncoming lane, but I thought I remembered a yellow and red warning box and audible alert.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
- Loop 1 in Austin
- W 290 in Austin

I remember these comments made by some of the reviewer videos from the San Antonio media event. The question asked was whether some of these BlueCruise features were configurable……?
Sponsored