• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
There is no way we were not the currency on the negotiating table between Farley and Musk. The simple truth is access to Tesla network has value for us and Ford and Tesla both will monetize that. In order for Ford to make money off of FordPass, Tesla must have promised Farley to cool it on Magic Doc deployment. And that put more pressure for NACS becoming the standard in U.S. and CCS irrelevant. Widespread Magic Doc would be Tesla throwing the towel. After Ford deal, Tesla is going for network domination from the position of strength. Ford pass extension is for us to develop the habit of using it until everything is hammered out and running smoothly. Then BAM, the fees and charges.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I didn’t realize this was complimentary
I'm confused too.

When I got my previous car, a Mustang Mach-E, they said we would get 250 Kwh at Electrify America for free as part of the network. I traded it for the Lightning before I got a chance to try it.

Then, I assumed I would get the same thing with the Lightning, and that I could just plug my Lightning in and it would recognize my VIN and start charging. That never happened.

So, each time I used an EA charger, it never recognizes my VIN and still asks for a credit card. So what exactly does the Blue Oval Network do?

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm confused too.

When I got my previous car, a Mustang Mach-E, they said we would get 250 Kwh at Electrify America for free as part of the network. I traded it for the Lightning before I got a chance to try it.

Then, I assumed I would get the same thing with the Lightning, and that I could just plug my Lightning in and it would recognize my VIN and start charging. That never happened.

So, each time I used an EA charger, it never recognizes my VIN and still asks for a credit card. So what exactly does the Blue Oval Network do?
Blue Oval is basically supposed to enable plug and charge at chargers the onboard navigation routes you to (“in network”). Make sure it’s enabled in the connected services area of the app and you also may have to have a credit card on file for when the trial runs out.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I'm confused too.

Did you set up an account for the Blue Oval Charge Network in your Ford Pass app?

I set up the account under the Connected Services menu. Only used an EA fast charger once in the last ten months and it was plug and play.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Did you set up an account for the Blue Oval Charge Network in your Ford Pass app?

I set up the account under the Connected Services menu. Only used an EA fast charger once in the last ten months and it was plug and play.
Just checked again... It says it's active and even shows the 250kWh with no expiration shown.

But, I've used 2 EA chargers and it didn't recognize me.
Ford F-150 Lightning BlueOval Charge Network Trial Extended One Year Complimentary 1685623209767

Last edited:

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
PS... I was curious about the blank expiration date, so I touched the (i) symbol and it said this:
Ford F-150 Lightning BlueOval Charge Network Trial Extended One Year Complimentary 1685623383123

To be clear, I took delivery last fall, so the 4 day window has passed. I wonder if the blank date has something to do with why it doesn't work for me.

OP
OP
F150ROD

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
PS... I was curious about the blank expiration date, so I touched the (i) symbol and it said this:
1685623383123.png

To be clear, I took delivery last fall, so the 4 day window has passed. I wonder if the blank date has something to do with why it doesn't work for me.
I have the same.

I think we all now what the Blue Oval Network is supposed to do. I guess I am just having a hard time trying to understand why they would charge a subscription when it’s supposed to be part of this whole EV “experience”.

I am not sure how many are going to want to “adopt” when you have to pay just to roll your windows down smh… it kind of takes the “savings” aspect out of it.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Tesla already has an option in their app for charging non-teslas at magic dock locations, so I'd probably just going that route if Ford tries to hide Supercharger access behind a subscription.
Tesla will lower charging rates for a $12.95/mo subscription fee for non-Teslas. By extending Blue Oval Network 'free' trial, I'd hope that BON will have similar benefits. For EA, Ford's BON had a beta going of discounted P&C EA Pass pricing at about the same price as an EA annual subscription. IIRC, BON was $2.00/year more at $50.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I have the same.

I think we all now what the Blue Oval Network is supposed to do. I guess I am just having a hard time trying to understand why they would charge a subscription when it’s supposed to be part of this whole EV “experience”.

I am not sure how many are going to want to “adopt” when you have to pay just to roll your windows down smh… it kind of takes the “savings” aspect out of it.
Thankfully it's still a "Free Trial", because it doesn't actually work. Perhaps that's why it's still free, so they can get the kinks out of it.

Both times I used EA's chargers, I ended up using my Apple Watch because it didn't recognize me, so it wasn't a hassle, but if they actually make it work, it will be useful for Tesla SuperChargers, because those don't have a screen with an integrated credit card terminal.

So as I see it, if they can make it work, it's in their interest to get people to use their platform, instead of getting Ford owners to use the Tesla App.

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I called Ford and told them about the blank expiration date and they created a support ticket to look into the problem.

They told me they will call me in a week to follow up and make sure it works, and that I can call them when I'm at an EA charger and they can do a specific diagnosis.

As always, Ford proves to me that they listen, and care. That's why I'm on my 8th Ford.

I'll follow post the results after I hear back from them.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
Just checked again... It says it's active and even shows the 250kWh with no expiration shown.

But, I've used 2 EA chargers and it didn't recognize me.
1685623209767.png
On my app there is also a plug and charge menu item that you have to open and check to enable plug and charge.
I have a Pro and the latest software update is 4.2.4

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
On my app there is also a plug and charge menu item that you have to open and check to enable plug and charge.
I have a Pro and the latest software update is 4.2.4
AHA! That’s it. It was turned off and I never knew it.

THANKS!

Ford F-150 Lightning BlueOval Charge Network Trial Extended One Year Complimentary 1685655245953

Ford F-150 Lightning BlueOval Charge Network Trial Extended One Year Complimentary 1685655328717

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Plug & Charge on my Porsche Taycan gave you the EA membership rate. When I started charging my F150 using Plug & Charge, I was shocked that Ford didn’t do the same. I have Plug & Charge enabled, but now initiate charging through the app to save a few bucks.
Can you tell me what sequence you use to start a session at EA?
I've been told by EA to plug first then swipe, they also have said the opposite. I've done both ways and its hit and miss for me. I have Blue Oval disabled to not have that confusion. and the price increase. When I did use plug and charge for my free 250kw it worked perfectly.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Can you tell me what sequence you use to start a session at EA?
I've been told by EA to plug first then swipe, they also have said the opposite. I've done both ways and its hit and miss for me. I have Blue Oval disabled to not have that confusion. and the price increase. When I did use plug and charge for my free 250kw it worked perfectly.
I activate on the app first, then plug in. Haven't had any trouble with that, assuming the station was working to begin with. For reference, I've only used 3 locations for a grand total of 8 charging sessions.
Sponsored