• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Brakes - Hydraulic or Electric? SPECS ....

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
hey, trying to find info on the Lightning's brake system, whether it's hydraulic, or electric.

I see some of the 'chassis' breakout videos show what looks like hydraulic lines going to the wheel sets, but am not finding any info on where the master cylinder is located, etc., or anything alluding to the braking system on the Ford spec sheets.

also, other than windshield washer fluid, would there be ANY other liquids needed for the vehicle, from a maintenance standpoint? I'm wondering also what type of system works the front 'automatic wind dam' at the front, that moves down once you get up to 45 mph or so.....Thanks : )

William - Jan 6 order of PRO with Towing tech, Max tow pkg, and 9.6kw Pro Power, in Iced Blue Silver ...

Ford F-150 Lightning Brakes - Hydraulic or Electric?  SPECS .... IcedBlueSilver
Sponsored

ryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
sedan
I don't think electronic brakes are used on any production vehicles-- there is electronic regeneration which is different and part of the total braking power. As to the rest of your questions, here's the Mach E manual (see scheduled maintenance on p 374)--

brake fluid-- change every 3 years,
coolant-- change every 200,000 miles,
washer fluid,
??transmission fluid-- ?? change every 150,000 miles,

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...wners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_09_2020-1.pdf

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
hey, trying to find info on the Lightning's brake system, whether it's hydraulic, or electric.

I see some of the 'chassis' breakout videos show what looks like hydraulic lines going to the wheel sets, but am not finding any info on where the master cylinder is located, etc., or anything alluding to the braking system on the Ford spec sheets.

also, other than windshield washer fluid, would there be ANY other liquids needed for the vehicle, from a maintenance standpoint? I'm wondering also what type of system works the front 'automatic wind dam' at the front, that moves down once you get up to 45 mph or so.....Thanks : )

William - Jan 6 order of PRO with Towing tech, Max tow pkg, and 9.6kw Pro Power, in Iced Blue Silver ...
Hydraulic. The cooling system will need to be flushed and refilled also. On the Mach-E, it’s called for at 200,000 miles, irrc.

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I suppose you are referring to a battery 'cooling' system... as I don't believe there is an 'radiator' for this vehicle...

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I'm also wondering where these 'systems' might be accessed on this new truck... it looks like the 12v battery is at the rear of the front trunk, as well as the washer fluid at the top left side, but I haven't seen too many videos or other photos that show too much of this type of detail. I would 'guess' that they are accessed thru the 'frunk', but without seeing the details close up, it's a guessing game.

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I don't think electronic brakes are used on any production vehicles-- there is electronic regeneration which is different and part of the total braking power. As to the rest of your questions, here's the Mach E manual (see scheduled maintenance on p 374)--

brake fluid-- change every 3 years,
coolant-- change every 200,000 miles,
washer fluid,
??transmission fluid-- ?? change every 150,000 miles,

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...wners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_09_2020-1.pdf
The “transmission” fluid is the gear oil in the reduction gear/ differential. Probably good for the life of the vehicle, but certainly better to change it at 150K.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I suppose you are referring to a battery 'cooling' system... as I don't believe there is an 'radiator' for this vehicle...
Cooling system is a misnomer. It also circulates heat to the cabin and battery in cold winter. Here’s a good technical look at the Mach-E thermal systems:

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Its disappointing that the PTC heater is not supplemental to the cooling system. You can run the cooling system in reverse and get heat back from the air. Thats when you change the name from an air-conditioner to a heat pump.

I would think still having the PTC heater there as a compliment to the heat pump would be the best idea.

Reactions: GDN

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I heard during the Lightning launch this week that the brake castings were huge.

With the Lightning's 6,000lb+ curb weight, I would like to know how large of the brake castings, pads and rotors are compared to a standard ICE 1F150....

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
According to the internets here are the Lightning rotor sizes:

Front - 14"
Rear - 13.8"

ICE F150 Platinum:

Front - 13.8"
Rear - 13.2"

Makes sense that there is a bigger jump in the rear as the Lightning will have more weight over the rear wheels and should be able to make use of more brake back there without lockup.

I could not find anything on the calipers themselves. My guess is they won't deviate too much from the 2 piston front and 1 piston rear of the ICE trucks. In fact they may be the same calipers with slightly different brackets to accommodate the larger rotors.

Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
According to the internets here are the Lightning rotor sizes:

Front - 14"
Rear - 13.8"

ICE F150 Platinum:

Front - 13.8"
Rear - 13.2"

Makes sense that there is a bigger jump in the rear as the Lightning will have more weight over the rear wheels and should be able to make use of more brake back there without lockup.

I could not find anything on the calipers themselves. My guess is they won't deviate too much from the 2 piston front and 1 piston rear of the ICE trucks. In fact they may be the same calipers with slightly different brackets to accommodate the larger rotors.
What ford should have done since those numbers are so close is just put the same brakes on the front and back - less different parts to engineer, manufacture, and stock.

From videos I have seen, the battery is accessible by removing a panel in the back of the frunk (no tools required).

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
What ford should have done since those numbers are so close is just put the same brakes on the front and back - less different parts to engineer, manufacture, and stock.

From videos I have seen, the battery is accessible by removing a panel in the back of the frunk (no tools required).
They still may not be the same part. Do the rear brakes on the lightning have the drum parking brake? I haven't looked at f150 brakes since my 2011 so maybe none of the more modern trucks do it like that. If it does have the drum, then the front and rear parts, though the same size would not be interchangeable. If the goal is having the same parts on the he front of all F150s, the that would make some sense. Are the brake parts the same as some super duty parts? It does not make sense to have totally different parts like this for one product, when a similar part already exists.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I forgot about the parking brake 🤣
Maybe they might do like most other manufactures and have an electric parking brake built into the rear caliper. Would still have same rotors, pads, possibly mounting and hubs, just a different caliper.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I heard during the Lightning launch this week...
I thought I heard in the launch where they discussed brakes is that it is brake by wire servo-electric hydraulic. That surprised me enough that maybe what they meant wasn't what it sounded like to me.

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
I heard during the Lightning launch this week that the brake castings were huge.

With the Lightning's 6,000lb+ curb weight, I would like to know how large of the brake castings, pads and rotors are compared to a standard ICE 1F150....
The Miss GoElectric video had Sandy Munro talking about a rear casting being large but I thought he was talking about the trailing arm for the rear suspension.
Sponsored