• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Campground charging at this site?

xycarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Sasquatch, Lighting Lariat ER on order
I’m going to be camping at a site that has 20/30 amp plug. This is how the site is listed:

Ford F-150 Lightning Campground charging at this site? CBBB2D5B-F77C-4F37-B46E-458F67B0D5EC

Will I be able to charge with the provided Ford mobile charger as is?

If so, how long might it take to go from 10 to 90%?
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
30 amp camground plugs are usually 120V. The on-board charger is limited to around 10 amps (1.2 kW) when using 120V.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
You can charge but the Ford charger on a 110 like plugging in at home. Will need variable amp charger and TT-30 EV adapter to get anything faster.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
You can charge but the Ford charger on a 110 like plugging in at home. Will need variable amp charger and TT-30 EV adapter to get anything faster.
You will not get more than 10 amps with a TT-30 adapter or any other 120V source.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Will need variable amp charger and TT-30 EV adapter to get anything faster.
The truck won't take more than 12 Amps at 120V. Just use the standard plug in a 15A or 20A circuit.

For the OP, what state of charge will you arrive with, how long will you be there, and how far away is the nearest DCFC? Figure on two full days of charging to recover 50% of your SoC.

Sponsored

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
True. Better if u can find a 50a Site. So much easier.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Three days plus a few hours, assuming minimal charging losses.

80% of ER battery=104.8kWh
12A@120V=1.44kW (Level 1 charging)
104.8/1.44=73 hours
1.44 is the gross power to the truck. What goes into the battery will be closer to 1 KW.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Assuming you are using Ford's mobile charger, look for a campground that has 220/240v, 50 amp service with a NEMA 14-50 plug. The Ford charger needs 32 amps to run at Level 2 (about 6 kW/h).

Power.jpg
This ^^^^

Went to a state park with cabins and camping in Georgia last fall with my son and his family. I can't tell you how many times we went back and forth via email with me asking them to confirm they had a 14-50 plug on a 50amp circuit. On and on it went. I finally escalated to the manager, who said the correct answer - "SOME of our camping sites have a 14-50 outlet on a 50amp circuit. Many do not. I will reserve a site for you to use, free (because we rented a cabin) and hold it as the last to be rented by a camper for your first night so you can charge)".

This discussion was after them saying repeatedly how they had a car charger. It was a level 1 charger, so basically useless.

Sponsored

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Assuming you are using Ford's mobile charger, look for a campground that has 220/240v, 50 amp service with a NEMA 14-50 plug. The Ford charger needs 32 amps to run at Level 2 (about 6 kW/h).

Power.jpg

We used hookup this last year to power the camper trailer. Before plugging the trailer in, I plugged the Lightning in the NEMA 1450 plug and it was charging like a champ, but we used it to power the trailer, but I did used the 120V outlet to charge the truck whenever we weren't driving it for the 3.5 days we were there.

Today, we were at the camping space that we booked for this coming September but we wanted to see if we could just plug up today while no one was using it. I plugged in the Ford Mobile charger into the 1450 outlet and I heard some sizzling noise like there was some condensation being burned off in the outlet. I was going to snatch it out but I waited to see if the moisture would burn off, which it did quiet down a bit. I then plugged it into the Lightning and the outlet made a little more noise but quieted back down. I Looked at the dash and it said "CHARGING"! I then sat in the truck to see how long it would take to charge 2 percent. The SOC went from 59% to 58% in about 3 minutes! I wasn't sure if I read it wrong the first time, so I waited another few minutes and it then went to 57%! Now I'm wondering wth? I immediately unplugged the truck and unplugged the FMC from the outlet.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell went on that took the battery from 59% to 57%, instead of going up. Does anyone here have an idea what I did wrong? The truck said it was "CHARGING". We drove the truck another 100 miles after that, so it looks like there was no adverse affects to the truck *fingers crossed*, but I'm still scratching my head as to what went on. The outlet was clearly energized because I heard the water frying and also the truck said it was charging.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
We used hookup this last year to power the camper trailer. Before plugging the trailer in, I plugged the Lightning in the NEMA 1450 plug and it was charging like a champ, but we used it to power the trailer, but I did used the 120V outlet to charge the truck whenever we weren't driving it for the 3.5 days we were there.

Today, we were at the camping space that we booked for this coming September but we wanted to see if we could just plug up today while no one was using it. I plugged in the Ford Mobile charger into the 1450 outlet and I heard some sizzling noise like there was some condensation being burned off in the outlet. I was going to snatch it out but I waited to see if the moisture would burn off, which it did quiet down a bit. I then plugged it into the Lightning and the outlet made a little more noise but quieted back down. I Looked at the dash and it said "CHARGING"! I then sat in the truck to see how long it would take to charge 2 percent. The SOC went from 59% to 58% in about 3 minutes! I wasn't sure if I read it wrong the first time, so I waited another few minutes and it then went to 57%! Now I'm wondering wth? I immediately unplugged the truck and unplugged the FMC from the outlet.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell went on that took the battery from 59% to 57%, instead of going up. Does anyone here have an idea what I did wrong? The truck said it was "CHARGING". We drove the truck another 100 miles after that, so it looks like there was no adverse affects to the truck *fingers crossed*, but I'm still scratching my head as to what went on. The outlet was clearly energized because I heard the water frying and also the truck said it was charging.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
It would be interesting to know what charge rate was shown in FordPass.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
There are several State Parks in Georgia, Black Rock Mountain, in Mountain City, that is notable, which only provide 'some' electrical upgrades, but when this park 'upgraded' their aged electrical options at all the camp sites, they simply DOUBLED the number of 30amp 120v outlets, to TWO, at each site. Strange, yes.
While this is somewhat comical that they considered this an 'upgrade', since they apparently did not want to spend the money, time, or cost of improvements for 'true' 240v service, which, yes, would have been a big task for the HIGHEST State Park campground in Georgia(GORGEOUS!), I found that I could still easily 'CONVERT' these two 30amp 120v outlets into a single 30amp 240v OUTPUT:

- you can purchase a 50amp 240v to DUAL 30amp 120v ADAPTER - which is basically a pigtail that allows you to plug it into BOTH the 30amp outlets, to then provide 240v power to your EVSE, or your large MOTORHOME, whichever is needed.

- I did this very thing at this very campground, at it worked perfectly.

Yes, finding a campground/camp site with a NEMA14-50 240v outlet is 'easiest', it's not always practical at EVERY campground. Just like the EV Charging Infrastructure is growing, over time, campgrounds are going thru the same renovations, OVER TIME.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
There are several State Parks in Georgia, Black Rock Mountain, in Mountain City, that is notable, which only provide 'some' electrical upgrades, but when this park 'upgraded' their aged electrical options at all the camp sites, they simply DOUBLED the number of 30amp 120v outlets, to TWO, at each site. Strange, yes.
While this is somewhat comical that they considered this an 'upgrade', since they apparently did not want to spend the money, time, or cost of improvements for 'true' 240v service, which, yes, would have been a big task for the HIGHEST State Park campground in Georgia(GORGEOUS!), I found that I could still easily 'CONVERT' these two 30amp 120v outlets into a single 30amp 240v OUTPUT:

- you can purchase a 50amp 240v to DUAL 30amp 120v ADAPTER - which is basically a pigtail that allows you to plug it into BOTH the 30amp outlets, to then provide 240v power to your EVSE, or your large MOTORHOME, whichever is needed.

- I did this very thing at this very campground, at it worked perfectly.

Yes, finding a campground/camp site with a NEMA14-50 240v outlet is 'easiest', it's not always practical at EVERY campground. Just like the EV Charging Infrastructure is growing, over time, campgrounds are going thru the same renovations, OVER TIME.
Im not an electrician, but what happens if they’re on the same leg? Ie, same phase?

reffahcs

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
I would be extremely concerned that both 120v 30 amp outlets are on the same breaker.
Sponsored