• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can I drive the truck using just the passcode?

cag

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Police Dispatcher
I remember hearing something about this. Say I want to bring the truck to go swimming, and dont want to bring a set of keys out on the water or leave them unguarded at the beach. To drive the vehicle with just a password would be nice.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I remember hearing something about this. Say I want to bring the truck to go swimming, and dont want to bring a set of keys out on the water or leave them unguarded at the beach. To drive the vehicle with just a password would be nice.
On the Mach-E, which has PaaK (Phone As A Key) enabled, yes, you can drive with just the passcode. I believe that PaaK is not yet enabled on the F-150L, so you have no way to setup the passcode. It is NOT the door code.

You should note that following facts:

- Some Mach-E owners have relied on PaaK and discovered the need to go home in an Uber and come back with the fob...

- Some Mach-E owners have discovered the could not get the vehicle to kick into "accept passcode mode", while others have found that the passcode, and PaaK, were erased.

Keep in mind that you can always leave the fob IN THE TRUCK, close the door, and then use the keypad to lock the truck. Push and hold 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Nope, not yet. You can enable the A/C via the app but anything beyond that requires the key fob.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Just as @RickLightning notes - in theory yes, once PAAK is released. You'll have to set that additional 8 character passcode up.

I relied heavily on this with Tesla, but it was easy to put the key card in my wallet and it was just always there. I was hopeful I wouldn't have to worry about carrying the large fob, but not sure that is feasible per history with the MachE. I don't every want to be stranded.

Another concern if you do decide to go without the fob, you'll want to make sure you have found that 3rd key (delivered with the truck) that will open the glovebox and release the spare and keep it in the truck. If you are out without your fob and have a flat, you'll need that key to get to the spare. It should be safe inside the truck. It will also unlock the door, but if someone finds the key in the truck, well, they are already past the door anyway.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
My 2011 had the door key pad but 11 years ago there was no Paak. I kept the key locked in the truck. I used the door key code to get in and out all the time. It is one thing that I missed most when I traded it in for a Tacoma.

Sponsored

Farmford42

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 Bronco
Occupation
Farmer
Anyone seen a timeline as to where the phone as key will be enabled? I know it’s coming soon ( ish )

jimallen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2021 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Also working on my Lariat ER delivered yesterday.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Can those with PAAK working give us some software versions? It has also let you set up the 8 digit code to drive without a key? or PAAK?

JC12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Can those with PAAK working give us some software versions? It has also let you set up the 8 digit code to drive without a key? or PAAK?
I’ve tried a dozen times to setup the backup passcode and it won’t accept anything I’ve tried. I also can’t find the software version on the truck, in the app, or online. All it says is the truck is up to date. Like others who reported it’s working, my truck was delivered a few days ago.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the update. I'm not in the truck right now, but SW versions are very buried. Settings menu - one of the options down near SW Updates or under SW updates.

I think you not being able to set up the code indicates that it is still not fully implemented. Nice to know you don't have to carry a fob however, unless you want a backup with you.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Also working on my Lariat ER delivered yesterday.
Wait, there's two kinds of phone as key. One allows you to start the truck using FordPass. I think we all have that. That version requires you to actually have the fob when you want to drive - it is used like on all Ford trucks with the pre-starting feature to precondition the cab, etc.

What Ford has separately promised as a feature is automatic recognition of your cell phone when you walk up, no other action required, and you can drive away without a fob. Ford has told at least some of us with early deliveries us that this feature is not yet ready but will be provided through OTA update. Do you have this version?

Last edited:

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
My 2011 had the door key pad but 11 years ago there was no Paak. I kept the key locked in the truck. I used the door key code to get in and out all the time. It is one thing that I missed most when I traded it in for a Tacoma.
I leave the keys in my Expedition to surf all the time (like a few hours ago!). If you lock and shut the door with the keys in, it will honk twice and unlock the door. You have to shut the door then push 0 and 8 at the same time to lock the keys in.

JC12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Wait, there's two kinds of phone as key. One allows you to start the truck using FordPass. I think we all have that. That version requires you to actually have the fob when you want to drive - it is used like on all Ford trucks with the pre-starting feature to precondition that cab, etc.

What Ford has separately promised as a feature is automatic recognition of your cell phone when you walk up, no other action required, and you can drive away without a fob. Ford has told at least some of us with early deliveries us that this feature is not yet ready but will be provided through OTA update. Do you have this version?
I took delivery on 8/24 and Paak is enabled. I can start and drive away only with the phone. However I have not been successful setting up the backup password yet - to use in case my phone doesn’t work. The truck is getting ceramic coated right now but I verified it works and others from the same week are saying the same. Perhaps rolled out on new deliveries before OTA push.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I took delivery on 8/24 and Paak is enabled. I can start and drive away only with the phone. However I have not been successful setting up the backup password yet - to use in case my phone doesn’t work. The truck is getting ceramic coated right now but I verified it works and others from the same week are saying the same. Perhaps rolled out on new deliveries before OTA push.
I just checked my truck and FordPass app, see no PAAK option, also verified that software is supposedly up to date per the truck. It would be helpful to know your software update level.

I'd also like to have the option to disable the Alexa icon, which does not yet exist on my truck, so assume that it isn't the most current software release.
Sponsored