• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can the F150 Lightning EV be lowered?

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
From the pics of the XLT, looks like the F150 could be lowered by four inches with plenty of room in the wheel wells. My tow 5,000# so the tongue weight on the lowered truck would be just 500#.

Does that sound feasable to give it a better (to me) every day look while still being able to handle the 5,000/500?
Sponsored

DJ NV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
:cool:? I'm looking to improve on that 8.9 inches a little bit with not having to spend too much.

... looking to get the Pro standard; could use a little extra ground clearance.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Any fully independent suspension vehicle with coil springs can be lowered by either new shorter springs or the quick and dirty method of cutting the coils, which also raises the spring rate.

Depending on geometry, you might need a realignment. It also shouldn't need to be mentioned but lowering will reduce suspension travel :p reprofiling the bump-stops can get a little bit back.

One thing that should benefit the Lightning's range would be lowering it, since it effectively reduces frontal area.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
I wonder if lowering it could increase its range? lol.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
For me, the question is, can it be lifted? ???

Seriously, I want 35s or 37s on this bad boy. I have every intention of taking it offroad. I hope it, at least, has an FX4 package available. A Tremor package would be even better.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
One thing that should benefit the Lightning's range would be lowering it, since it effectively reduces frontal area.
It should definitely help with wind resistance and add a bit of range.

JanitorJim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 explorer; 2001 f150
For me, the question is, can it be lifted? ???

Seriously, I want 35s or 37s on this bad boy. I have every intention of taking it offroad. I hope it, at least, has an FX4 package available. A Tremor package would be even better.
you have to sign in to the special options page to get a lift.
I picked the 120s
Ford F-150 Lightning Can the F150 Lightning EV be lowered? Bigfoot-5-biggest-monster-truck-ever

OP
OP
EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Looking at lowering kits for the current F-150's, they seem to emphasize "Street Performance".

They say it does not lower the tow rating but they do suggest air suspension as the solution to much stiffer suspension.

I'm looking for a ride that is at least as smooth as the standard vehicle and I'd only be lowering 2-3 inches leaving room for shock absorbing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I'm no suspension expert, and I know even less about truck suspensions, but to retain reasonable ride quality you would want to keep the vehicle off of its bumpstops. Lowering cuts into suspension travel and gives the vehicle less to work with when it hits a bump, especially a decent sized one.

Ideally you'd want stiffer springs and shocks with stronger damping to do it "right." Given the huge market of F150s, there is a strong likelihood that some 3rd party company will make this happen, though the IRS is a new one since the Lightning is the first to have it.

OP
OP
EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Ideally you'd want stiffer springs and shocks with stronger damping to do it "right."
Ideally for me would be lowering 2-4 inches to cut down on the large space in the wheel well and keeping the comfortable ride. How the truck would look with 50% load. My 500# tongue weight trailer would then be "full loaded" .

Guess I'll wait and see how it looks in person first.

Lolat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Volvo PHEV, 2000 Mercedes SL
Occupation
Retired
I lowered mine 3” front and rear. The rear camber changed significantly, negative. Since not racing it, I obviously need to fix this, does anyone have any info on re-alignment, camber adjustments, etc.? Front doesn’t seem to be affected much, but will have that alignment check this week. The rear is my concern being that this suspension is new for the F150 line.

Any and all info greatly appreciated

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
I would also like it lower so my elderly parents can get in and out easier. I was told by by friend that lowered his BMW not to lower the truck due to the weight of the batteries (I have an ER) and it could mess up the suspension. Instead, I am looking into the larger aftermarket step to replace the existing one so they have more space to put their feet.
Sponsored