• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge and battery health

neririn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 MachE
With my ICE F-150 I would always keep the fuel tank above half full in the event of emergency or immediate need. Only drawing it down low on long trips.

I find with my lightning that my daily driving takes me to a lot of businesses that have free charging stations out front. I have taken to plugging in whenever that is available and it has resulted in, for the most part, my battery consistently remaining between a 60% and 80% state of charge at all times.

Is that bad for the long-term health?

Whenever the power goes out I want to make sure I have as much juice in the battery as possible to run my home. If I decide to go on a quick road trip I want to have as much juice in the battery as possible to prevent significant charging time on the road.

Yet if I’m taking months or even years off the life expectancy of my battery by only drawing it down to 60% and then immediately sending it back up to 80% that’s obviously not good.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
With my ICE F-150 I would always keep the fuel tank above half full in the event of emergency or immediate need. Only drawing it down low on long trips.

I find with my lightning that my daily driving takes me to a lot of businesses that have free charging stations out front. I have taken to plugging in whenever that is available and it has resulted in, for the most part, my battery consistently remaining between a 60% and 80% state of charge at all times.

Is that bad for the long-term health?

Whenever the power goes out I want to make sure I have as much juice in the battery as possible to run my home. If I decide to go on a quick road trip I want to have as much juice in the battery as possible to prevent significant charging time on the road.

Yet if I’m taking months or even years off the life expectancy of my battery by only drawing it down to 60% and then immediately sending it back up to 80% that’s obviously not good.

Thoughts?
That is perfectly fine. Don't let the battery sit close to 100% or 0% for any extended duration (few hours OK, few days bad) and you are fine. Our Mach-e lives almost all of its life between 60% and 90%. Being plugged in also lets the truck heat/cool the battery using shore power as needed which helps reserve battery health.

All part of the ABCs of EV life - always be charging.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Look up posts from MickeyAO - he has posted many things on battery health and is a very good source of info on them.

Reactions: GDN

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
As long as you don't let it with <15% and not >90% for long period, it is fine.

Try to only charge it to 100% right before you leave.
Sponsored