• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Port Door Frozen

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I haven't been a fan of the charge port door since I first used it. The latching mechanism in particular feel flimsy. It usually takes me two or three pushes on it to either release or latch again. And I'm pretty sure that door has to be latched in order to move the truck.

So last night it rained and then the temperature plunged to zero so of course the charge port door is frozen shut. I don't need to charge but I want to plug in for preconditioning tomorrow.

I guess a hairdryer is my best bet but still I think the design of the door could be problematic on a trip where slush and melted water could jam that door up when I really need it to open.

Has anyone had problem with their door and what was your solution.
Sponsored

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
The good news is you can just plug the hairdryer into the frunk to defrost the door. :D
It appears we need this as a winter accessory. I had all kinds of things frozen shut today, the frunk was one of them though so, we need to keep hair dryers in the frunk, bed and cab depending on which one we can get open! šŸ˜‚

Technoman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 JK//2006 1T Silverado/1970 CJ/2023 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
Sorry about the weather you people are dealing with....Thanks for the tip as I will put my battery powered Dewalt heat gun in my truck for hunting trips...
Be safe and Cheers for Xmas

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Also adding a heat gun into my Lightning toolbox.

FWIW, I've had the charge port door frozen shut on my Model Y a couple times now. I've managed both times to wiggle and press on it and get it to release, but it was a bit unsettling.

OP
OP
ddbrooke

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It appears we need this as a winter accessory. I had all kinds of things frozen shut today, the frunk was one of them though so, we need to keep hair dryers in the frunk, bed and cab depending on which one we can get open! šŸ˜‚
Iā€™m afraid to try opening the frunk. I had it stop half way up the other day in moderate temperatures for no reason. Ice and snow and -3. I donā€™t think so.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Our Chevy volt was the worst with freezing shut. A weak spring tries to open it and a little locking mechanism is released by a button to allow the door to open. We kept a plastic knife in the car to pry it open. It was often a two person job. One to pry and one to press the button.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
You would think itā€™d be obvious that there should be heating elements in the charging door for exactly this reason!

šŸ¤Æ

Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
Me too tonight . Hate the charge door. Hate the mechanism that opens it . Hate that it never wants to close or open correctly . Hate that itā€™s frozen now.

Love you all though.Merry Christmas everyone . Hope Santa isnā€™t trying to charge his lightning right now .
@megaohm needs to come up with a custom accessory for this door .

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Iā€™m puzzled by this. Is it just over engineering? I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever had a gas door freeze shut lol

JBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Our Chevy volt was the worst with freezing shut. A weak spring tries to open it and a little locking mechanism is released by a button to allow the door to open. We kept a plastic knife in the car to pry it open. It was often a two person job. One to pry and one to press the button.
There was a release button on your key fob. I used to press it and quickly pull it open. What was annoying was if it happened a couple of times you would get a check engine light.

bewbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER Rapid Red
I agree, there needs to be a fix for the Charge Port door. I can never get it to lock first try even in normal temps and no ice.
Sponsored