• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Door Opened When Driving

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Has anyone had their charging door opening when driving? I was driving along at highway speeds when I received notification on the dash. When I arrived at my destination (around 4 minutes away) I took a look, and the door was fully open. Has that happened to anyone before?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Mine popped open after I shut it, but I had not pulled away yet. I am really not sure what the correct way to shut it is. My gut says that I should push it in firmly but slowly like a cabinet door with a push latch, but that doesn't always work. Slamming it shut with some force seems to be more reliable, at least for now until I break it. Maybe the aftermarket will come out with a powered one.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
One time in 18 months usage on MachE. I was paying too much attention to the charge cord and pushed it to softly. It was within a couple miles that it re-opened. Never since. I listen for the click. Not like safe cracking with my ear up to the fender, just more intentionally. Keep an eye out.

Sponsored

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
I had mine pop open while going through a car wash (the ONE time I used a brushed carwash vs brushless 🤦‍♂️) and couldn't exactly get out and take care of it. Thankfully no damage/issues. But FYI...

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I had mine pop open while going through a car wash (the ONE time I used a brushed carwash vs brushless 🤦‍♂️) and couldn't exactly get out and take care of it. Thankfully no damage/issues. But FYI...
That’s a problem… I go through those types of washes and I don’t want it to do that…

Beaux

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Platinum, 2021 F150 Limited
It happened to me one time also in the first few weeks. But it's been fine since.

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Nope, it was closed already.
Just saw this thread. Are you still having this issue? Or did you got it taken care of? Happened to me today at a red light stopped.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Just saw this thread. Are you still having this issue? Or did you got it taken care of? Happened to me today at a red light stopped.
Knock on wood it hasn’t. I just make sure it has a nice firm closure and I even try to lift it up a bit at times to be sure it closed.

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I find the latching mechanism to be a bit quirky on the charge door (still better than a powered one in my opinion… ) but I found that if I push it closed and hold for a second or two it always seems to stay closed.
Sponsored