• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Infrastructure Help

azuano3654

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Would appreciate some expert input here. I'm taking delivery on a Mach-E in Oct/Nov and also have a Lightning reservation. I'm working with an electrician to install a 100amp sub-panel in the basement (existing panel is maxed out) and then install a 50amp NEMA 14-50 plug into the garage that I can plug in the MachE charger into (wasn't planning to hard-wire).

However, I'd love to "future proof" this installation as much as possible with the potential for the Lightning and an 80A Ford charging panel that may allow for more cost-effective charging/home power. Should I have the electricain run 100A out to the garage in anticipation of a hard-wired 80A charging station in the future and just setup the NEMA 14-50 in the meantime? Would appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
We are in a very similar situation to you (Mach-e coming a little later) and that is my plan. I am hoping the Lightning wiring setup for home. Power backup is revealed when ordering goes live so I can just do everything and terminate with a 14-50, but if not I will at least run the 100A circuit.

That said, with the build rates just revealed for the Lightning, we may consider buying an EVSE for the Mach-e to tied us over instead of relying on just the plug.