• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging off-grid?

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
This is not just about the F150L, but relates to all EVs in general. Thinking on whats going on in the world at the moment and what could happen... how can one charge off-grid?

I know there are small LION battery backups to the more expensive "Powerwalls" along with solar panels... but are there any other options besides that?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Much easier than I can refine my own gas in such an event.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
This is not just about the F150L, but relates to all EVs in general. Thinking on whats going on in the world at the moment and what could happen... how can one charge off-grid?

I know there are small LION battery backups to the more expensive "Powerwalls" along with solar panels... but are there any other opions besides that?
So, if you have the extra money and land/space that you can put some solar up, going to an inverter with a 30Amp out for your EV, and to a couple of lithium Ion batteries as a buffer (with the sun still shining) you can have your very own EV refinery. This guy Will on YouTube has done extensive videos. He will never run out of juice in Las Vegas Nevada.

Personally, I’m going his method next year. Solar will be on a large solar car port and shed with the same exact setup as in his video.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So, if you have the extra money and land/space that you can put some solar up, going to an inverter with a 30Amp out for your EV, and to a couple of lithium Ion batteries as a buffer (with the sun still shining) you can have your very own EV refinery. This guy Will on YouTube has done extensive videos. He will never run out of juice in Las Vegas Nevada.

Personally, I’m going his method next year. Solar will be on a large solar car port and shed with the same exact setup as in his video.
How many years/decades to breakeven?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
How many years/decades to break even?
Too many! I would not do this to break even, although eventually, it will.

Do it for independence from the Grid and only if you can afford it. I'm personally doing it, because of the statement from the OP and why he's asking about it, "Thinking on what's going on in the world at the moment and what could happen..." That is why I'm doing it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Too many! I would not do this to break even, although eventually, it will.

Do it for independence from the Grid and only if you can afford it. I'm personally doing it, because of the statement from the OP and why he's asking about it, "Thinking on what's going on in the world at the moment and what could happen..." That is why I'm doing it.
If catastrophe strikes, powering your EV is going to be the least of your worries.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
If catastrophe strikes, powering your EV is going to be the least of your worries.
LOL! Very true, but one less thing to have to figure out if it does, right!?
Sponsored