• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging options

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40e
Hi

My Lightning Lariat (Avalanche) is scheduled to be built next month and I am trying to make sure I am ready. My prior vehicle was a PHEV, so I had a 30 amp line with a 6-50 outlet run to my garage for a Siemans level 2 charger (which has since died).
I know the Ford mobile power cord included with the Lightning has a 14-50 plug and it looks like I can get a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter in order to make it work for now.
Is that going to be enough power to charge the truck in a reasonable time? Should I be looking to upgrade that line or just have the 80amp Charge station pro installed? thanks
Sponsored

awilli1010

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 lightning, 22 maverick, old ass Harley.
Occupation
Retired Army, retired Government employee.
Hi

My Lightning Lariat (Avalanche) is scheduled to be built next month and I am trying to make sure I am ready. My prior vehicle was a PHEV, so I had a 30 amp line with a 6-50 outlet run to my garage for a Siemans level 2 charger (which has since died).
I know the Ford mobile power cord included with the Lightning has a 14-50 plug and it looks like I can get a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter in order to make it work for now.
Is that going to be enough power to charge the truck in a reasonable time? Should I be looking to upgrade that line or just have the 80amp Charge station pro installed? thanks
Iā€™m charging my truck using the grizzl-e charger. Itā€™s set at forty amps which gets me 7.6 kw of power. I drive less than 50 miles a day and I plug in every night and have a full charge every morning.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Hi

You can't run the mobile power cord with a 30 amp circuit. Best you can do is 24 amps.

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Lariat ER
While I wait for Sunrun to install my charge station Iā€™ve been using a J+ booster on a dryer outlet, at 24 amps. Itā€™s useable. on time of use charging, from 8pm until 6am it almost always gets me back to 85% overnight.

Your bigger issue, is that the mobile charger is 32amps, and a 30amp outlet isnā€™t enough for the ford mobile charger.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Is that going to be enough power to charge the truck in a reasonable time
No one can tell you if it can be charged in "reasonable time", without knowing how many mile you drive on a typical day.

You can't run the mobile power cord with a 30 amp circuit. Best you can do is 24 amps.
That's true. Since the mobile charger cannot be adjusted for how many amps it draws, you will need to upgrade the breaker at a minimum. I suggest you talk to an electrician who can provide you with options and quotes.

OP
OP

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 40e
yes, sorry about that...after posting, realized that "reasonable time" is probably relative.
Wasn't aware that the current 30 amp line will not work, going to have to start making some calls.
thanks
Sponsored