• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging, or not charging, outside of Preferred Times

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
@Ford Motor Company, I really have a love-hate relationship with my Lightning. And it's your software I hate.

Of course the truck itself is going to be solid. Ford has been building F150's for decades, and you know what they are doing. By using a tried and true platform, you have a solid platform to build upon.

Then you loaded it with buggy software that you refuse to update to make better. Or even add simple options to give us users a choice.

About a month ago I had to drive, for a second time this winter, to work with no heat because the truck didn't wake up overnight to charge. It really upsets me that happened not only once, but twice. And I'm not the only one it happened to.

Then it seems that any minor OTA causes the truck to blow through our set limits and go to 100%. I guess I should be thankful that I am receiving updates at all and that it's actually charging. But why does a DTE update, that actually causes our DTE to be worse by the way, cause our vehicle to ignore our settings? It sure is a head scratcher on how they could be related.

But today brings about another issue. After coming home from the Dentist at 3pm, I plug in. I have around 70% charge. My charge window is weekdays from 11pm to 6am. Color me surprised when I go out into my garage and the truck is charging. What is even more shocking is it acted like my kids when they were younger and I caught them getting into the cookie jar. As soon as I hit the start button, to find out if maybe the truck doesn't recognize it's in a saved location, the truck immediately stops charging. It knew it was wrong and played innocent. Just like my kids.

Your poor attempt at software is beginning to be laughably insane. It doesn't charge, it charges when it want's to. No rhyme or reason.

This never happened before I started using my FCSP instead of my Emporia. Never once in over a month, using it exclusively, did I ever have a charging problem. Why can't we have time control over when our FCSP will charge? Why do I have to have a saved location to have a limit? Why can't I just set a time window, charge level be dammed?

My recommendation is there are fine, smart people being laid off from many software companies. Maybe you should be interviewing them and hiring them to fix the charging issues, and all the other software problems the Lightning and Mach-E community have been dealing with since they have launched. You have a whole campus in Dearborn that was just revamped, and a money-pit train station to bring these people to. No excuses.

So now, until somebody in the Glass House wakes up and realizes these problems are really turning your customers off, I have to babysit my $80,000 child. I have to make sure it charges starting at 11pm, and now I have to sit in the garage and make sure it doesn't charge early. Maybe I should just go out at 11pm and plug it in because the charge settings can't be trusted.
Sponsored

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Try enable pre conditioning regardless plugged in or not should solve the first problem

For the second one, replace FCSP with charge point flex if you don't need 80amp or home backup

Ford software isn't too bad, looking at Nissan or Toyota, Ford is doing pretty well

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Try enable pre conditioning regardless plugged in or not should solve the first problem

For the second one, replace FCSP with charge point flex if you don't need 80amp or home backup

Ford software isn't too bad, looking at Nissan or Toyota, Ford is doing pretty well
Preconditioning has a worse track record for working correctly than regular charging.

I want the ability to charge at 80 amps if needed. I already have 1 Emporia for the Mach-E. I did buy a spare to take advantage of the tax credit, but the charger isn't the problem. It's the software that controls it.

I shouldn't have to go to a competitor to expect Ford to fix their problems.

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
Preconditioning has a worse track record for working correctly than regular charging.

I want the ability to charge at 80 amps if needed. I already have 1 Emporia for the Mach-E. I did buy a spare to take advantage of the tax credit, but the charger isn't the problem. It's the software that controls it.

I shouldn't have to go to a competitor to expect Ford to fix their problems.
Maybe try disconnect 12v and connect it again. Sometimes hard reboot fix all issues.

Charge point isn't Ford competitor, more likely a partner and their 48amp charger is feature rich for all different situations

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Charge point isn't Ford competitor, more likely a partner and their 48amp charger is feature rich for all different situations
Why would I buy a Chargepoint? I already said I have an Emporia.

And I was referring to Nissan and Toyota as competitors.

Sponsored

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
@Pioneer74 I have experienced everything you list... but I will say I'm seeing improvement, in general. 3 times my truck didn't charge at all at night during the preferred times, once it was in a deep sleep. The last time was probably in October/November. Haven't had either issue since and I refused to mess with the LVB on a new truck.

The truck warns me when I shut off if it needs to charge outside of the preferred times, I get that. Although at 70% you would think it wouldn't have to charge to meet your limit. Are you sure it was drawing current? I know the truck checks in with the FCSP periodically because I get the random clicking from the unit, but it doesn't look like it drawing much current beyond what it needs to run its charging time estimates.

And finally - I got the latest update last night while plugged in and my truck stopped at my limit!! This was the first time I received an update, while plugged in, and the truck stopped at my set limit.

Bottom line: I'll say things seem to be improving, which is the expectation with a new vehicle as user feedback and data comes in. I hope you find the same!

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
The truck warns me when I shut off if it needs to charge outside of the preferred times, I get that. Although at 70% you would think it wouldn't have to charge to meet your limit. Are you sure it was drawing current?
It never stated it needed to charge outside of my window and, IIRC, it had charged for over an hour before I had discovered it.
Sponsored