• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cheapest home power solution w/o Charge Station Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

hihosilver

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat - SR - Oxford White - MaxTow
So I would like to know what most of the SR Lightning owners are doing or planning; if they intend to power their homes with the truck. I am trying to keep this as simple and cheap as possible and create a solution that will power my home from any potential external source such as a generator, battery array and of course the truck. My thoughts at present are a generator interlock kit on my 200 Amp service with a dual pole 60 amp breaker, install an outdoor rated box on my homes exterior with a Nema twist lock L14-30p connection and get a decent generator cord to go from the truck's Power Pro 240 connection to the house. The only expertise required to operate this setup would be to know how to manage the amperage load of your home and only turn on breakers for essential items.
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
That is the way I would recommend - it's safe and the right way to do what you're trying to do for the lowest cost.

Only one nitpick - if it's a 30A L14-30P inlet, then you need to protect it with a 30A breaker, not a 60A.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Cheapest would be to use the bed or frunk outlets I'd think. Ford is holding V2X output a fee for SR the creeps.

OP
OP
hihosilver

hihosilver

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
your panel needs a seperation of system ground and neutral
Thanks for the advice! Is there a possibility that what I think is my main panel is actually a sub panel and therefore I may already have ground and neutrals separated? I have a solar system and I'll attach a picture of my meter and a disconnect mounted on the exterior of the house.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cheapest home power solution w/o Charge Station Pro IMG_3959

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the simplest/easiest way to access power from the truck is simply by using standard extension cords... it's not the most automated or 'pretty' way, but it still gets the job done. in times of catastrophe, or a simply outage, there's usually little need for any more.

OP
OP
hihosilver

hihosilver

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think I answered my own question by looking in the panel. It is the main (first disconnect) and that shutoff is going to the solar system. Damn. Pardon my dumb questions, but why does the truck not function like a generator would? Is it sensing that lack of an isolated ground?

Ford F-150 Lightning Cheapest home power solution w/o Charge Station Pro IMG_3961

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I think I answered my own question by looking in the panel. It is the main (first disconnect) and that shutoff is going to the solar system. Damn. Pardon my dumb questions, but why does the truck not function like a generator would? Is it sensing that lack of an isolated ground?

IMG_3961.jpg
Ground and neutral being connected in the electrical box looks to the lightning as a ground fault.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
the simplest/easiest way to access power from the truck is simply by using standard extension cords... it's not the most automated or 'pretty' way, but it still gets the job done. in times of catastrophe, or a simply outage, there's usually little need for any more.
That's what I am going to do.

Lots of heavy duty extension cords to the house if needed.

We don't get power outages at all where I am at, but then our electricity rates are sky high...

RangerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
For Lightning w 2.4kW (w/o 9.6kW Pro Power), perhaps a 120v manual transfer switch (eg Amz asin B00FADDE0A- switch both legs) using one for ea critical circuit only (furnace, fridge, etc), ea run to a 120 on truck w proper gauge ext cord. Keep the basics running on a budget…​

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Depends how your house is set up. Extension cords can certainly help, but the circulation pump for my hot water furnace is hard wired, so I wouldn't be able to switch that to a plug easily. Heat can be very important in the winter.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I"ll suggest a proper generator disconnect. Back feeding a circuit breaker is usually quite dangerous unless the circuit is failsafe by mechanical means.

They actually make breakers designed to have ability to back feed. Not sure what the difference is.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I"ll suggest a proper generator disconnect. Back feeding a circuit breaker is usually quite dangerous unless the circuit is failsafe by mechanical means.

They actually make breakers designed to have ability to back feed. Not sure what the difference is.
The difference is an interlock which prevents that breaker from being on while the breaker supporting the grid is also closed.

But you'll need more than that - because the Lightning enforces ground fault protection on its receptacle, you'll need a transfer switch that isolates the home neutral and its bond, or you'll just keep tripping the truck's GFI.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs

Circuit breakers that are not labeled "line" and "load" are approved for bidirectional use. Some breakers, like those with a neutral sensing lead, have a directional element and may not be suitable.

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
There are number of 30A Manual Transfer Switch Kits available from $400 - $600 that will work. They are not that hard to install (i am in the process of doing it), or should not be to expensive to have installed. IMO this is the best (clean, safe, flexible, and affordable) value solution for the Lightning.

My concern is what is the power loss using the truck inverter, and what is the warranty on it?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.