• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Clarification on Max Tow Package contents?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I couldn't find the answer using the Search feature on this forum...

Did we ever get clarification on what the Max Tow package actually is?

We know it gets better cooling (though I haven't seen anywhere that explains what/how). I've read it might also have better brakes and stiffer suspension, but can't find anything confirming it. Also, are there any charging benefits (or benefits other than increased power output/240v outlet) with the upgraded Pro Power onboard?
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
You get an extra cooling loop for the battery and motors with a second coolant compressor. I don't think there are any other differences.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You get an extra cooling loop for the battery and motors with a second coolant compressor. I don't think there are any other differences.
Exactly this, but that is a much bigger benefit than many realize for an EV. If you are going to be pushing your drive train at all (towing or hauling large loads, "spirited" driving, etc. more cooling is a wonderful things to have. Once the battery starts overheating, the system will pull power until it cools down. Extra cooling means it takes longer to heat up (you may never notice) and recovers much faster. When I saw the Alex-on-Autos video showing how well it recovered (as compared to our Mach-e GT) adding the Max tow package was a no brainer.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
right, the double cooling setup is the only difference - it's all about the Battery cooling

Sponsored

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
What we don't know is how or when the software uses the Max Tow hardware.
That’s the part that interests me. As someone with little use for the 240v in the bed, the max tow option becomes $2200 when you factor in the required 9.6kW Pro Power upgrade on the Pro and XLT SR trims. That’s a lot for an option that noone knows when it actually has an impact on the vehicle.

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
I don't have it and have not had any thermal issues thus far...I tow occasionally an ATV and have had decent charging speeds when charging (125-140 kWh charging speeds).

Honestly, I was a bit worried when I didn't get it at first, but I'm not really regretting it after two months of use.

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
We need first hand feedback from some hotter areas. I get my truck next week (allegedly). Suffered thru 56- l00f degree F plus days this year and about 180-90 degree plus days of which more than half were 97 plus days. I’m thinking the higher temp areas will be loving their Max Tow choice. I am counting on mine to help me with thermal issues and resale.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I just emailed my dealer and added it on. I quickly got a confirmation email that it was added.

I plan on keeping my Pro for a long time, the added cooling seems like a piece of mind thing.

The 9.6 Pro Power will be nice as I don't plan on getting the high end Ford Charger but I plan on adding a manual transfer switch so I can Plug my truck into my house and still utilize it as a backup energy source.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't have it and have not had any thermal issues thus far...I tow occasionally an ATV and have had decent charging speeds when charging (125-140 kWh charging speeds).

Honestly, I was a bit worried when I didn't get it at first, but I'm not really regretting it after two months of use.
Have you had the chance to try some back to back full power pulls to see if performance starts to degrade?

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the Max Tow additional chiller and fluid lines work in conjunction with the existing chiller and fluid lines, it just doubles the amount - they work all the time, as needed, whether towing or not.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I guess you only need it to tow in Arizona, your need to tow heavy load long distance.

Ford does not explicitly say that you need this feature to tow 10000lb.

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
Have you had the chance to try some back to back full power pulls to see if performance starts to degrade?
I haven't done any testing beyond what I've needed...I live in Northern Ontario so heat is not that much of an issue.

Just saying it hasn't been a big deal for what I've needed so far.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
the Max Tow additional chiller and fluid lines work in conjunction with the existing chiller and fluid lines, it just doubles the amount - they work all the time, as needed, whether towing or not.
What is your source for this? Thanks.

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
For me, anytime there is an option for better cooling, it is best to get it.
Sponsored