• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Click when pressing brake before starting

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Hi all,

This is more of a curiosity/nitpick question but does anyone know what the little electric motor sound near the brake pedal is from when you press the brake pedal first thing after getting in?

Most of the time, I hear the electric motor sound for a second or so, but sometimes it also comes with what sounds like a little plastic popping noise. It's probably not a big deal, but I want to fix it if possible.

What does that motor do?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Hi all,

This is more of a curiosity/nitpick question but does anyone know what the little electric motor sound near the brake pedal is from when you press the brake pedal first thing after getting in?

Most of the time, I hear the electric motor sound for a second or so, but sometimes it also comes with what sounds like a little plastic popping noise. It's probably not a big deal, but I want to fix it if possible.

What does that motor do?
ABS servo, initializing.

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
ABS servo, initializing.
Do you have any more info on this? I can't find any info on what an ABS servo in the dash area would be doing. Obviously, this would not be the servo that controls the main ABS hydraulic pulsing as that would be in the frunk area?

Also, do you know why sometimes it would click/pop? Do you hear the same noise when you first step on the brake pedal? (seems to happen more if the truck has been sitting for a while)

Thanks

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Do you have any more info on this? I can't find any info on what an ABS servo in the dash area would be doing. Obviously, this would not be the servo that controls the main ABS hydraulic pulsing as that would be in the frunk area?
No, I don't just from experience with prior F series trucks with ABS.

I'll assume that the 2022 takes advantage of common parts like this 2021 version of the "Master Cyl / Servo unit", being close to bulk head and mechanically attached to the pedal you're going to hear and feel its operation.

Photo credit eBay seller " 2021 FORD F-150 ABS ANTI-LOCK BRAKE PUMP ASSEMBLY OEM "

Ford F-150 Lightning Click when pressing brake before starting s-l500

Also, do you know why sometimes it would click/pop? Do you hear the same noise when you first step on the brake pedal? (seems to happen more if the truck has been sitting for a while)

Thanks
I have not noticed, 40+ years ford trucks means I have grown accustomed to its idiosyncrasies or I'm going deaf, LOL

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I do think it's related to the brake booster, but so far can't tell if it's an impending problem or just a nuisance.

Once again, what I have is:

- let the truck sit for a while (1 hour or more I think)
- press the brake pedal before starting the truck (doesn't matter how hard you press)
- a little motor makes a normal whirring sound and sometimes after 1 second (or so) of the little motor whirring, a "pop" can be heard and felt through the brake pedal just as the little motor sounds stops
- after that first pop, the pop doesn't happen again until after the truck has been sitting again

I've found reference to this issue in the ICE F150 forums, but so far, no one I've seen has posted a solution or a definitive explanation that it's normal.

Perhaps the brake booster is building pressure and sometimes something 'pops' when the pressure reaches the desired level? I wonder if I can replicate this in other Lightnings.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Or, while the truck has rested a while, the calipers are relaxed and when pressure is applied one of them moving enough to make an extra "popping" noise, I have not experienced that with my lightning, it might be worth the time to have it looked at by a Ford tech.

While your there ask to drive the demo

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Or, while the truck has rested a while, the calipers are relaxed and when pressure is applied one of them moving enough to make an extra "popping" noise, I have not experienced that with my lightning, it might be worth the time to have it looked at by a Ford tech.

While your there ask to drive the demo
I'm pretty sure it's not brake calipers or any actuation of the brakes. The pop comes from the brake/firewall area and is definitely connected to pre-charging the brake booster (??) in some way. I'll figure it out and update this when I know more.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
You have a new vehicle with a full warranty and support staff on the ready to confirm your observations, calm your concerns and remedy any faults, brakes are pretty important, I would get it looked at unless you're a mechanic, have someone look at them!

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You have a new vehicle with a full warranty and support staff on the ready to confirm your observations, calm your concerns and remedy any faults, brakes are pretty important, I would get it looked at unless you're a mechanic, have someone look at them!
Yes I will ask them about it. My experience with most auto techs is that this type of subtle and intermittent issue can be hard for them to diagnose. So I'm doing some of the legwork myself.

I captured the issue on video this morning. You might have to turn the volume up to hear, but you can hear the electric brake booster, and then I press a little harder and a POP, after that the booster makes the same electric noise but no more pop. And it won't make that POP sound again until after sitting for a while -- maybe a few hours minimum, but definitely overnight.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I can not repeat that "Popping" noise in my Lariat-ER

Sponsored

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Mine doesn't "pop" like that - more of a loud "click," But it does it almost every time i press the brake pedal, even a litte (when I assume regen is doing all the "braking". Dealer thought it was the torque reversal issue (or was just humoring me) and did the TSB repair, with no noticeable change in the sound. Going back next week to diagnose some more.

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine doesn't "pop" like that - more of a loud "click," But it does it almost every time i press the brake pedal, even a litte (when I assume regen is doing all the "braking". Dealer thought it was the torque reversal issue (or was just humoring me) and did the TSB repair, with no noticeable change in the sound. Going back next week to diagnose some more.
I assume you mean the TSB repair for wheel/hub "tinging/popping?" I wouldn't expect that to fix this issue.

I would describe it as a click or pop, it changes in intensity and it's definitely in the floor area possibly from the brake booster and it happens ONLY after the truck has been sitting for a while and not while driving.

I also notice a "click" that seems farther away when driving and pressing the brake in some low speed conditions. This "click" feels like ABS test or pretensioning, but not idea what it is. So maybe that's what you're noticing?

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Took it to the dealer yesterday - they confirmed that it is the brake controller, and that the sound is "completely normal".

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Mine does this as well, rather annoying if it's indeed normal as it's easily the loudest thing in the cab. Sounds like a relay latching, must be brake assist or controller. The ICE guys have reported it coming on under ACC deceleration events as well without brake input. Don't think it's unique to the Lightning, probably just that we probably notice it more. I'll try shoving my GoPro into the footwell and try to isolate it.
Sponsored