• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Comparing the cost of a DIY to Ford Intelligent Backup

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I want to do an exercise in comparing what it would cost to build a DIY energy backup system and compare it to the Tesla Powerwall and Ford’s solution. I am using $5,000 for the installation price of all systems with a professional electrician because the estimates I am finding range wildly. I imagine all 3 are a similar level of installation complexity. Also I am aiming for systems with a similar output to the HIM to make them comparable.

Ford Home Integration System:
  • F150 Lightning $40k-$90k. This will not be factored in, because it’s also your vehicle.
  • Charge Station Pro $1,310
  • Home Integration System $3,895
Capabilities
  • 9.6 kW output
  • ~120 kWh capacity for ER

Tesla Powerwall:
  • (2x) Tesla Powerwall $10,500, but two units will cost $17,000
Capabilities
  • 9.2 kW output
  • 28.8 kWh capacity

DIY:
  • (2x) EG4 6500EX All-in-one Solar Power System $2,498
  • (6x) EG4-LifePower4 Lithium Battery $8,994
Capabilities
  • 13kW output
  • 28.8 kWh capacity
======================================
Total costs (with $5k install) :

Ford HIM: $10,205
Tesla Powerwall(s): $22,000
DIY: $16,492

Pros/Cons

Ford HIM
Pro: Cheapest and largest capacity.
Con: Using your truck to drive, makes the system unusable.

Tesla Powerwall
Pro: Well thought out seamless system.
Con: Most expensive with lowest capabilities.

DIY
Pro: Largest output, equal capacity to Tesla.
Con: Support will be more complex and could involve multiple vendors.
Sponsored

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Leaf SV+, 2016 Ram Big Horn
Occupation
watchmaker
really depends on your goals for the system.

Do you just want critical loads backup power? Just buy a Pro with the 7.2kw of bed power and directly power a critical loads panel. No solar required.

Do you was full solar integration, home back up, and future "intelligent" power backup for things like grid shaving or to take advantage of time of use rates. This is where the ER battery and HIM system could really shine. Is it worth an $40k???

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
You're missing a lot of labor costs. The Ford backup system is going to be within the 10k range by the time you're done with it. At that price point, you're in the same range as a standby natural gas generator.

I already have a generator so I won't use it, but I would just have some sort of manual emergency load panel with a transfer switch. I think there are some around that isolate the neutral, which would be what you would need for the truck probably, but nobody has tried it yet to my knowledge.

Alternatively, just get some good extension cords and run it off the bed of the truck.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Exactly. If you have F150 L with the 240 outlets you can get by with a mounted 240 volt plug, a manual transfers switch and the proper cable.
Sponsored