• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Concept Vehicle - 2024 Lightning Convertible - Clamshell Hardtop

MudDog

First Name
Dav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM
As soon as I get my design finalized Ill post it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MudDog

First Name
Dav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM
If your not familiar with ClamShell Operations there are several current vehicles using it. A good example is the BMW 4 Series. At this time there is no current production truck having a convertible top.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
OK, that would be something.

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning / 2023 6.7L Lariat F-350
BMW (as do other manufacturers) add a good bit of structural reinforcement to support the missing roof (BMW F83 4series convertibles are ~500lbs heavier than the coupe counterpart w/ the added reinforcements). Even with all that, the body still flexes noticebly more than that of the coupe. There'd be no chance I'd trust my life (or my family) with such a concoction.

Sponsored

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
I love convertibles and I love trucks. Not sure the two should ever be the same vehicle, though.

A clamshell top for a supercrew cab is going to be huge and unwieldy. It'll also take up almost the entirety of the bed when it's down, but I guess you'd just put the top up when hauling.

Structural integrity might be better on the next gen Lightning BEV with the dedicated EV platform. That'll probably have a structural battery pack.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I love convertibles and I love trucks. Not sure the two should ever be the same vehicle, though.

A clamshell top for a supercrew cab is going to be huge and unwieldy. It'll also take up almost the entirety of the bed when it's down, but I guess you'd just put the top up when hauling.

Structural integrity might be better on the next gen Lightning BEV with the dedicated EV platform. That'll probably have a structural battery pack.
With a body on frame, unfortunately I don't think the battery is going to help the body stiffness that much. They would still need to do a lot of reinforcement in the cab itself.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
With a body on frame, unfortunately I don't think the battery is going to help the body stiffness that much. They would still need to do a lot of reinforcement in the cab itself.
The frame is the structural member, and would only be stronger with a structural battery. They would do some stiffening of the cab, and include a roll bar as @MudDog has done. But I realized after my earlier response that removing the roof really doesn't affect the vehicle much in a pickup. The cab only has to support its own weight and that of the passengers. It's not like a sedan where the roof adds to the stiffness of the frame (or, in most modern cars, IS part of the frame).

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Looks like ford beat you to that design (turn off audio and take some Dramamine before watching the video).
Sponsored