• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cracked Rim, Ford says warranty will not cover

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I posted a discussion on this a few weeks ago. I’m curious about opinions on present issue:

• Slow leak in passenger rear tire of 2019 F150
  • Turns our small crack underneath the wheel weight
  • 24,000 miles on vehicle
  • Ford says I have caused the crack through abuse
  • Zero chance, no off-road for this vehicle at all
  • Have contacted customer service for long drawn out conversations
  • Ultimately, communication between service Dept and Ford seems non- existent
  • Clearly a forge issue with the wheel
I am so frustrated with this whole problem. Do I have any options left other than just buying the new rim myself? Sad to see Ford will not honor bumper to bumper warranty. I have only every owned Ford products but this has shaken my faith a bit. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Marine01

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
I posted a discussion on this a few weeks ago. I’m curious about opinions on present issue:

• Slow leak in passenger rear tire of 2019 F150
  • Turns our small crack underneath the wheel weight
  • 24,000 miles on vehicle
  • Ford says I have caused the crack through abuse
  • Zero chance, no off-road for this vehicle at all
  • Have contacted customer service for long drawn out conversations
  • Ultimately, communication between service Dept and Ford seems non- existent
  • Clearly a forge issue with the wheel
I am so frustrated with this whole problem. Do I have any options left other than just buying the new rim myself? Sad to see Ford will not honor bumper to bumper warranty. I have only every owned Ford products but this has shaken my faith a bit. Thoughts?
Sorry to hear about this. Ford has really gotten ridiculous with their warranty's and honoring them. Everything has to go through an approval process. My 2021 F150 I had it for two days. I live in Miami so we had a lot of rain this day. I have the Baja tan interior. It has black leather on the sides. Well Getting into the truck wet from rain the black leather blead onto the tan leather. Not a lot but enough to really upset me with my brand new truck. Well service went through the process. I wanted the seat leather cleaned or replaced. This was an issue of new leather bleeding which can happen with a new vehicle.

It was denied. They said I did it. This was BS but now I am stuck with a black spot on my Baja tan driver seat. $500 I can replace it which I will later.

Good Luck with your wheel!

ProperCrab

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe, 14th Gen on order
Occupation
Commercial Project Estimator
Too many outside factors, maybe you hit a pothole? You can prob find a replacement wheel on offer up

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
The title is a bit misleading, Ford denying a claim is not the same as "warranty voided". As already said, Unless a casting defect is glaringly obvious there are way too many outside variables to cover a rim crack. Other 3 rims checked for cracks?

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Agate Black Platinum 4X4 Powerboost
Occupation
Very retired
More often than not a cracked rim is caused by an impact. I'm also pretty sure the dealership can point out some tire damage near the crack. Go over to the Corvette forum. There are regular posts about GM not paying for cracked Corvette rims.

To the OP you do realize you don't own a 14th gen truck, right? You should probably complain in the 13th gen section of F150 online.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Where are the pictures?

Which wheel is it?

Why are you complaining about a cracked 2019 wheel in a 2021+ forum?

If you really believe it's a manufacturing defect, find someone with a big bandsaw to section it in half to check for voids. Otherwise you're out of luck, however most cities will have a wheel repair shop that will grind out the crack, weld it and grind it smooth for $50-100, though I would just replace it.

You can also just get four 18" steel wheels and never look back!

I have bent plenty of alloy wheels hitting curbs, though I have never cracked any. Once I even drove through a pothole big enough to tear my right front wheel and strut off. I have also seen brand new aftermarket alloy wheels that wouldn't hold air because of hairline cracks.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
A 2019 truck has to have some miles on it, if it was a manufacturing defect causing the air loss, it wouldn't have started two years later. You don't have to off-road to get have this problem, one good pothole can do it. Aluminum wheels don' t bend like steel wheels, if they break it's usually something like a tear or split, which is what you are describing.

Also wheels aren't covered as part of the bumper to bumper warranty AFAIK, at least not beyond the first 6 months or 15,000 miles or something to that effect. You can't prove it was a manufacturing defect, and in fairness they can't prove it was due to a pothole. But given the age of the truck, road caused damage is far more likely so I get their position.

Do I wish all companies would just accept my version of events and always replace stuff that breaks for free? Yeah of course. My response isn't indicating you did anything wrong, we have all hit potholes, or that it couldn't be manufacturing, but the reality of the situation is wheel and tire damage is waaaaay more likely a pothole or hitting a curb or something than a manufacturing defect.

As someone else mentioned, get a used wheel and move on. If you can't find it on eBay or OfferUp, check junk yards or local wheel businesses. There is one here in MI that has a pile of all kinds of F-150 wheels from customers that get new off-road style wheels/tires and don't want the OEMs.

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Had a similar situation with my 2018 Chevy Colorado. Had a rock chip fly up and hit my A/C condenser causing the system to drain. When I brought it in they told me originally that it would not be covered as the damage was not caused by a part defect. Fortunately, the dealership manager worked around their claims by stating that a properly designed front end would prevent that from happening, and therefore was a "defect" in the design of the truck. Unfortunately I doubt they will cover wheel damage for the same exact reason, unless it can be proven that it was caused due to workmanship/parts defect.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
Had a similar situation with my 2018 Chevy Colorado. Had a rock chip fly up and hit my A/C condenser causing the system to drain. When I brought it in they told me originally that it would not be covered as the damage was not caused by a part defect. Fortunately, the dealership manager worked around their claims by stating that a properly designed front end would prevent that from happening, and therefore was a "defect" in the design of the truck. Unfortunately I doubt they will cover wheel damage for the same exact reason, unless it can be proven that it was caused due to workmanship/parts defect.
I've had rocks take out condensers on previous Hondas. Always has been my cost to repair/replace.
Sponsored