• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
never imagined it would get to 51 pages lol also you shoulda got tracking last night let me know if you didnt.
I did! Also I was thinking it might be good to edit post #1 like you did over in ICE to mention the replacement cupholder being available more reliably now and a better option that cutting the existing holder. ;)

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
I did! Also I was thinking it might be good to edit post #1 like you did over in ICE to mention the replacement cupholder being available more reliably now and a better option that cutting the existing holder. ;)

I think I got it updated to look like the other one now.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
I think I got it updated to look like the other one now.
Perfect. FYI I’m going to try it without the unbolt/slide back console step since others here say they were able to lift the console top on the Lariat and above because there are no HVAC controls. Just some pins to work around. But it seems the unbolt /slide step could be less hassle and would of course be needed for XLT.

OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Perfect. FYI I’m going to try it without the unbolt/slide back console step since others here say they were able to lift the console top on the Lariat and above because there are no HVAC controls. Just some pins to work around. But it seems the unbolt /slide step could be less hassle and would of course be needed for XLT.

yeah you guys have an advantage there. with that said I dont post this much but even on the ICE im able to change the cup holder out without sliding console or taking HVAC out. but everyone is worried about breaking trim so I never discuss that method on the ICE trucks.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I did the remove trim and lift cupholder method. Sliding the console back looks like a lot more work and as noted we don't have to since we don't have the AC controls and bigger screen. There is one pin on the drivers side under the dash that is hard and tricky to work out, but still easier than sliding the console I believe.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
I was able to complete this today in a little over an hour thanks to @JHForman812 and his harnesses and the pics on page 8 by @GDN and @Avocadodude. As stated the pins can be a little difficult so I first tried to remove the cupholder by just propping open the top piece and removing the 6 torx screws from below. I actually got 5 of the 6 out easily but the driver front screw was difficult to see and get my right-angle screwdriver on. So I went back to the pins and sure enough the pins can be wiggled out. As stated, keep the top part flat and by pulling down on the base while pushing up on the pin you can get them clear.

The other two hints I'll give is that the slotted hole for the glove box bracket is hidden behind a white clip as shown before. Here is another pic zoomed out showing the general location.
Ford F-150 Lightning Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light InkedGlovebox bracket (Large) - Copy

This is looking in the glovebox towards the steering wheel. The slotted hole is directly behind the white clip the arrow points to. There is a also a small metal bracket on the harness that clips in the circled area. The wire should be on top obviously.

Second tip is that I got totally lost on the footwell location. I thought the pic was the upper floor carpet turned back. But it is the cover under the glove box. Pry off the two black clips shown here:
Ford F-150 Lightning Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light footwell (Large) - Copy

This will lower the right side and you can see the connector.

Last edited:

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Well, add this to the list of things that have been deleted from the 2023's (sorry guys). According to this thread on the ICE forum, Ford has now removed the cutout for the media bin (and possibly glove box?) on both ICE and Lightning. It's easy to check if you have them and members are cutting their own, but this mod just went up a level of difficulty for MY2023. I guess they save the 5-cent cost of adding in the blank cover.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I was surprised that the cutout was in my ‘22, but figured it was there because Ford intended to add it back someday. Seems like now they’re intending not to.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
For you Pro/XLT guys, you might want to check out this new thread by @JHForman812 on the ICE forum. It may apply to you. Standard disclaimer - check what connectors you have first especially with a '23!

Sponsored

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, Matrix, 91 Galant VR4 (for sale)
Anybody have the PNs and a source for just the female/male plugs? I have no issue buying the harnesses (from the members selling them), but I’d like to add other things so I’d rather buy the plugs if that makes more sense.

Also what is a good source for other plugs that we may need?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired engineer
Anybody have the PNs and a source for just the female/male plugs? I have no issue buying the harnesses (from the members selling them), but I’d like to add other things so I’d rather buy the plugs if that makes more sense.

Here is a post from the ICE forum where someone posted the info. They look like what I got from John but I’m sure he’d tell you if you reached out to him. He’s a great guy truly helping us. I didn’t see that post before I ordered from John or I would have tried since I’m a big DIY guy. Please let us know how it goes!

Edit: tagging in @JHForman812. Also the post above is the cupholder to footwell harness. I can’t remember if the console bin to media bin/glove box harness also used the same connector.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350

Nothing to hide here
31067-1010
31067-1070

youll have to figure out the pins though, depending on which way you configure the harness you might need an 18-20 or a 20-22

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Finally got mine done. Many thanks to everybody that posted tips and hints. One of the features I really missed from my 2021 Lariat was the cupholder lighting.

I don't recall anybody else saying it, but I would suggest taking the battery out of one of your FOB's and verifying that using the emergency spot in the cupholder still works. I also taped the connections down under the console assembly where the harness tapped power. I hate rattles.

Ford F-150 Lightning Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light 20230209_133805
Ford F-150 Lightning Cup holder light installation/media bin light/glove box light 20230209_133709
Sponsored