• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CyberTruck pricing more expensive than originally planned (and specs to change) says Musk

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Rivian is losing money on every copy sold, has a production cost over $100k each.

Elon has implied cost for initial production model came in over $125k, so required re-engineering, leading to some of the delays. Basic structure (stainless steel exoskeleton) and battery size alone says this has to be a $125k+ vehicle. Given high weight and claimed range, towing specs, battery would have to be far bigger than Lightning's 131 kw, and given Tesla's sector-leading margin requirements, this feels like a $150k vehicle. Which is why the egg-on-face delay IMO.

Ford hasn't discussed Lightning margins, but we know the Pro is a low-volume (relative to other Lightning models) loss-leader by design, for PR reasons - I bet the Platinum Lightning magins vs ICE Platinum versions are tighter than standard. EVs are still hard to do - batteries are expensive, cost curve has limits, weight remains an issue. I doubt we'll see a CT roll below $75k, and only a few to say "we did that."

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Rivian is losing money on every copy sold, has a production cost over $100k each.

Elon has implied cost for initial production model came in over $125k, so required re-engineering, leading to some of the delays. Basic structure (stainless steel exoskeleton) and battery size alone says this has to be a $125k+ vehicle. Given high weight and claimed range, towing specs, battery would have to be far bigger than Lightning's 131 kw, and given Tesla's sector-leading margin requirements, this feels like a $150k vehicle. Which is why the egg-on-face delay IMO.

Ford hasn't discussed Lightning margins, but we know the Pro is a low-volume (relative to other Lightning models) loss-leader by design, for PR reasons - I bet the Platinum Lightning magins vs ICE Platinum versions are tighter than standard. EVs are still hard to do - batteries are expensive, cost curve has limits, weight remains an issue. I doubt we'll see a CT roll below $75k, and only a few to say "we did that."
I think there’s a wild card in there though. At this point, Tesla is big enough to throw their weight around.

Tesla makes enough margins on other vehicles to absorb a loss or at cost model with the CT. They can then realize profits through up sells with their established software model.

Elon is creative, it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up selling the CT as a Lego kit for DIY assembly at this point.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Tesla makes enough margins on other vehicles to absorb a loss or at cost model with the CT. They can then realize profits through up sells with their established software model.
No way Tesla will do that, they will just make high end CT first, like S and X.

But it will be interesting to see EV truck prices as whole. I doubt that $40k price would last as 100kWh battery pack is minimum requirement and it is not cheap. I think new base would be $50k.

I guess Lightning price structure would be adjusted based on that and the new tax credit program that we will see more configurations between $50k and $80k.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
No way Tesla will do that, they will just make high end CT first, like S and X.
They could do that as well. But Elon made it a point to embarrass a Ford when the CT came out. I’m sure he’ll want to embarrass the Lightning when it comes out as well. That means he’s going to need to come up with a way, even if it’s selling a “off menu” CT. That charges $1 per blinker use to beat Fords $40k

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I think there’s a wild card in there though. At this point, Tesla is big enough to throw their weight around.

Elon is creative, it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up selling the CT as a Lego kit for DIY assembly at this point.
I once had a boss who said "We may lose money on every sale, but we make it up on volume." The fact is that Tesla cannot sell any model, especially a highly anticipated vehicle like the CT, which is expected to be a volume product, for a loss.

Like the initial MS 45 at $39k or a few M3's (or even the Lightning Pro at $39k), they can sell a handful at a loss, but the BASIC structure and battery design has to work at a minimum price point for volume sales - and it looks like those two factors - structure and minimum battery size -alone push it over $100k. Can't get around weight and battery needs.

See the giant pushback from initial Rivian reservation holders when they tried to re-price, just to stem initial losses on upfront sales. Rivian hasn't sold a single truck with a positive gross profit, and it looks like they never will - a true death spiral situation, where the business model and consumer expectations/ability to pay do not coincide. Seems Tesla is up against the same rock and hard place with the CT.

Ford had a huge advantage here - an existing fully-engineered conventional truck platform that it could plug-and-play with overlaid EV engineering that allowed it to leapfrog into the market with Lightning speed. Extremely well-played, enabling time-to-market for the follow-on purpose-built EV trucks that will benefit from seeing everything the competition does while building volume and capacity with the MachE and Lightning.

Tesla is over its skis in my opinion, and I'm happy to temporarily be on the sidelines. Traded in my MX (my fourth Tesla), which was on its fourth set of front half shafts, along with the pictured Powerboost, on the Lightning a couple weeks ago, quite happy to have "de-risked" the garage for now, always have the option to go back if they get their act together. It feels good to be back in a conventional dealer service world where there are real people to talk to, and engineering that responds, fixes things. Full disclosure - I do have a CT reservation, just for optionality, never expected it to become reality, so far justified.

Ford F-150 Lightning CyberTruck pricing more expensive than originally planned (and specs to change) says Musk IMG_1739

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Im going to say the Base will be the Dual Motor and the last one to be built at $70k. It’ll show up for about a month and then disappear.

I agree that the QUAD will be $100k+

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
I think this is why there was so much talk about completely splitting Model E business off from Ford Blue. The way things were engineering and development costs were shared between both segments. That is a huge benefit if Ford can largely avoid having different powertrains for every trim level and model like in the ICE world. Less powertrain combinations equals less engineering teams. Also warranty costs should be exponentially less than current ICE configurations. I would estimate 60-70% of current ICE warranty costs are powertrain related.
Sponsored