• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dashcam issues

Rafis29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Anyone else figure out how to properly power up a dash cam? I plugged in my old Aukey cam via USB into a 12volt charger and noticed that the lightning keeps the 12v powered up after the truck is off.
So I purposely bought a OBD power source. It has a switch that recognizes when the truck is off and is supposed to power down the camera after 5 minutes. To my surprise the truck kept supplying power via the OBD port. Either that or the switch on the device doesn’t work. Sucks. Thought I had it figured out.

Ford F-150 Lightning Dashcam issues F376957B-713C-4470-A21F-ED438B87FD39
Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Anyone else figure out how to properly power up a dash cam? I plugged in my old Aukey cam via USB into a 12volt charger and noticed that the lightning keeps the 12v powered up after the truck is off.
So I purposely bought a OBD power source. It has a switch that recognizes when the truck is off and is supposed to power down the camera after 5 minutes. To my surprise the truck kept supplying power via the OBD port. Either that or the switch on the device doesn’t work. Sucks. Thought I had it figured out.

F376957B-713C-4470-A21F-ED438B87FD39.jpeg
I'm just going to tap the back of the mirror when I get mine.

OP
OP
Rafis29

Rafis29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
I'm just going to tap the back of the mirror when I get mine.
I wonder if that will cut the power when the truck is “off.”

starting to seem like it’s always going to be ”powered up.”

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
And that’s a problem? Super duty’s after ‘16 power down after 300 seconds / 5 minutes. Prior years were always on. The power supply time is programmable. I forgot the range but Forscan will allow modification from 0 seconds to 99,999 or something fairly high. I reprogrammed our ‘22 Superduty to the max just for the surveillance capability provided by the dashcam. When we park at home In the garage and they don’t move for longer than a week we do unplug the dashcam. It will drain both batteries.

OP
OP
Rafis29

Rafis29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
I’ll look into the forscan programming. My device is suppose to time itself out at 5 minutes. The problem isn’t the truck. It’s the device (somehow it doesn’t recognize the truck as “off”).

Now Ill have to find a work around…hopefully the programming does the trick. hopefully it can be a future over the air update setting or something

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
And that’s a problem? Super duty’s after ‘16 power down after 300 seconds / 5 minutes. Prior years were always on. The power supply time is programmable. I forgot the range but Forscan will allow modification from 0 seconds to 99,999 or something fairly high. I reprogrammed our ‘22 Superduty to the max just for the surveillance capability provided by the dashcam. When we park at home In the garage and they don’t move for longer than a week we do unplug the dashcam. It will drain both batteries.
Think the max is 4500 seconds - feel like I saw that in a video somewhere.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

F376957B-713C-4470-A21F-ED438B87FD39.jpeg
I’m interested in the solution you com up with as I too plan to install a dash cam when mine arrives. I don’t want to install Ford’s version, but I’ve been looking at the installation instructions for their dash cam to see if it will provide me any ideas on where to tap.

I don’t know if this provides anything that relates to the EV version, but I’d be interested in your thoughts……

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/accessory_files/Ford_Thinkware_DashCam_K.pdf

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
I have a Street Guardian that worked fine in my '15 F-150. Since the second I installed the same unit in the Lightning it has been, very whacky. Chirping frequently, I can't access the menu, frozen screen.

It plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet.

It's driving me nutty. Nice to see (sarcastically) that I am not the only one with this issue with their dash cam.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I wish Ford would just sell us a software switch for $500 or whatever to just record and tap into the existing cameras in the truck, and save them to an SD card.
Exactly

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I wish Ford would just sell us a software switch for $500 or whatever to just record and tap into the existing cameras in the truck, and save them to an SD card.
If this is just software, they'd probably get raked over the coals for charging for a feature that Tesla gives people for free. If it requires hardware, I can't see them adding it to the truck at this point. I'd love to be wrong though as I think it's a great feature.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
A lot of it depends upon the processing power available to the truck's systems, storage speeds, and what the camera subsystems are able to do. Displaying real-time camera information while parking is pretty easy to do - handling multiple frames, efficiently encoding them into a video file, and getting them onto flash storage at speed are a bit more difficult.

I do love that feature in the Tesla, and I hope that Ford would at least have some foresight to design it in, but perhaps that's just a cost too much for them if they're using lower-powered processors or slower flash. Choice of operating systems can also make a difference, if they have to write a lot of code to get there.

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ford and ADT announced Canopy. It's a subscription service that does what Tesla sentry mode does, but I don't think it's ready yet.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring