• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealer argument with sales manager at Ford dealership about profit - who is correct ?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
So today I went to a Ford dealer to test drive one of many customer abandoned MME on the lot.

Forgiving them for $10K ADM and $20K ADM on Lightnings; we got into a discussion on dealer profit with the sales manager.

The sales manager said they make $1500-$2100 per EV they sell (Lightning or MME).

I said, no way - Ford pays out on various back end monies - more like 8-10% figuring all their service and sales staff are EV certified.

Was the sales manager blowing smoke up my a$$ ???

There is no way they can exist if they have to pay their staff, lot space and overhead.

Tell me who is correct?

My Lightning and MME I test drove:
Ford F-150 Lightning Dealer argument with sales manager at Ford dealership about profit - who is correct ? IMG_0141.JPG
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
There were internal memos posted when the Lightning first went on sale that started the dealership was paid roughly 10% of the sticker price when they sold it. Never saw anything posted about the Mach-E.

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
Not that he’s lying but my bet is he is just told by management what it is without really doing the math.
1) I would take out service department for EVs. They are probably still just doing mostly warranty work still on MME and lightnings right now since they are still pretty new
But let’s just take an $80k lightning for an example and let’s say it’s a TESLA lightning …..or pretty soon a cyber truck. Based off their numbers Tesla would make around $20k profit off an $80k vehicle based off their last quarter per unit profit. I’m not sure how much less ford makes because they have a dealer network and aren’t as efficient as Tesla but it seems $1500-$2k could be low. Now ford isn’t making much money on EVs and now the cut the price of Mache and will lose some money on models maybe it isn’t that much , but 1 car salesman should sell around 20 vehicles or so a month right now for an in town /midsized dealer. - not a volume dealer).
If their department has 10 salespeople then they would generate roughly 200 sales a month. 200x$1.5-2k is $300-400k - not Including service department revenue which I think would be a couple hundred thousand a month. if each salesperson gets $300 -$400per sale - that would leave the dealer with let’s say $1k profit per car - but then has to pay financing people - who probably get a % per car and add ons ect. Secretaries/manager / owner. Maybe there’s enough in there for around $2k per EV. But my guess is ifFord GM ect. Want to get rid of dealers they must be getting more then $2k per vehicle.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Forgiving them for $10K ADM and $20K ADM on Lightnings; we got into a discussion on dealer profit with the sales manager.

The sales manager said they make $1500-$2100 per EV they sell (Lightning or MME).

I said, no way - Ford pays out on various back end monies - more like 8-10% figuring all their service and sales staff are EV certified.

As somebody else pointed out, always assume they're lying, or at best misinformed.

Whatever their real profit margin is, keep the following in mind.

The old dealership model was from an era where customers walked onto a lot, and it was up to the dealer to persuade the customer why they should buy from them. A good sales rep and dealership could really make an impact on the overall sales in any given region. You couldn't order one without a dealer, and you could say the dealer was 100% responsible for closing each sale.

Most of Ford's EV sales were initiated by customers who reserved on the Ford website before ever talking to the dealer. One could argue both sides of whether the dealer should earn the same commissions from this kind of order. After all, the sales rep (and the dealer for that matter) had nothing to do with closing the deal.

Right now, the dealer is still responsible for the prep and delivery, but I think that could clearly be handled by Ford directly if they could legally be allowed to do it and frankly they may even do a better job by simply dropping it off at your home.

The fact remains that with the dealer having nothing to do with "selling" the vehicle, they should consider any income from pre-ordered vehicles to be like free money. They had no impact on making those sales, so they shouldn't complain about a potentially lower commission.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
As somebody else pointed out, always assume they're lying, or at best misinformed.

Whatever their real profit margin is, keep the following in mind.

The old dealership model was from an era where customers walked onto a lot, and it was up to the dealer to persuade the customer why they should buy from them. A good sales rep and dealership could really make an impact on the overall sales in any given region. You couldn't order one without a dealer, and you could say the dealer was 100% responsible for closing each sale.

Most of Ford's EV sales were initiated by customers who reserved on the Ford website before ever talking to the dealer. One could argue both sides of whether the dealer should earn the same commissions from this kind of order. After all, the sales rep (and the dealer for that matter) had nothing to do with closing the deal.

Right now, the dealer is still responsible for the prep and delivery, but I think that could clearly be handled by Ford directly if they could legally be allowed to do it and frankly they may even do a better job by simply dropping it off at your home.

The fact remains that with the dealer having nothing to do with "selling" the vehicle, they should consider any income from pre-ordered vehicles to be like free money. They had no impact on making those sales, so they shouldn't complain about a potentially lower commission.
Well said and so true nowadays !

I forgot that when I bought the Lightning - never stepped foot into the dealership - they never offered a test drive, offered a bottle of water, offer to throw in free car washes, etc.

They just sat back and a couple of keystrokes approving the special order, voila the truck appeared.

Brought in my own financing, went straight to F&I and 30 minutes later - done deal.

(y)

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
The discussion is irrelevant. how much money the dealer makes is no more your business than how much money you make is to them. If you think they are charging too much, take your business elsewhere. any salesman who gets into such a discussion isn't worthy of getting your business.

kalalp

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Plat Superduty, 19 M3, 17 450GLS, 2022 Lighteni
As a businessman, this is the correct answer. ^^^^

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
So today I went to a Ford dealer to test drive one of many customer abandoned MME on the lot.

There is no way they can exist if they have to pay their staff, lot space and overhead.

Tell me who is correct?
Besides difference between invoice and MSRP, dealers get various forms of money like 3% kick back.

$1500-$2100 is probably the commitment to the sales manager himself.
Sponsored