• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealers Rejecting Lightning Reservation Transfers

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
91' Skyline GTR Sold, 16' Shelby GT350 Sold
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
And thank you for the article. I will be reaching out to my dealer regarding the rebate.
Thank you so much for posting this. This makes me very happy to hear, hopefully besides a cleaner air and reduced emissions effort we get more trucks sent here.

OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
It wasn't a typo. I didn't question why we're talking about AL--the OP is from AL and wants to take his EV back there from Virginia. It seems like Rick thought the OP was from Vermont and that's why it was brought up.

Taking the EV from Virginia (a high driver density ZEV state) to AL (a low driver density, non-ZEV state) would be counterproductive to the ZEV initiative that Virginia is doing. While true that it wouldn't make much difference if the OP took an EV from Vermont to Alabama, that wasn't the plan or discussion.
I'm currently residing in Virginia, but I am originally from Florida. My post was about trying to transfer my reservation from a ZEV state (NJ in my case) in order to increase my chances and take the car back with me to base. No, the vehicle will not be going to Alabama or Vermont.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy IT
Guess you're not aware that the ZEV incentives go to Ford, i.e. they are incentivized to sell cars in ZEV states. Therefore, they ship cars to ZEV states, and they want those cars registered in those states. https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/what-zev#:~:text=The Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV,diesel sales within the state.

No one said the dealer was blocking non-ZEV states buyers, they're blocking ALL non-local buyers. And you'll find similar behavior from non-ZEV state dealers.

If you want more EV vehicles in your state, you should focus on contacting your state officials, i.e. governor and members of your state's legislature. They are the ones that can make your state a ZEV state.
Yes, I was aware of the ZEV incentives the manufacturers receive. I had read about that from other posts on the site on various articles. Thank you for the suggestion about contacting legislation, that is an obvious answer, however not one that would have immediately helped resolve my issue. I have done made those attempts in the past and understand that takes time. But it turns out that I caught a lucky break, as Virginia will now become the 13th state join the ZEV Program. This elusive truck may finally cross paths with me.

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
I don't think it's a smart decision by the dealer because of the message they are sending now. These are probably the same dealers that love to take out of state buyer's money when tons of trucks used to sit on the lot before. If Ford would have wanted this to be done this way with restrictions, they would have made it so. They would not allow or encourage me to "shop" around. Yes, I have the proof that I have called Ford Marketing several times and this is the advice I have been given. In order for this ordering process to be clear and effective, we all must play by the same guidelines.

As far as ADMs, I am strongly against it. Now dealers are claiming they "must" do this to keep the lights on. What about when the car market had a surplus of cars and they tacked on ADMs because it was a "hot" vehicle. I know this very well because I purchased a Shelby GT350. Marking up a vehicle is wrong on principle, is greedy, and selfish. It keeps someone that maybe really wants a car from buying simply because a dealer determined that it if someone wants it bad enough, they must pay the extra money. I'm not rich like that and I refuse to overpay a business. There is a ton of research that goes into a manufacturer accurately pricing a vehicle to have a dealer destroy it. It defeats the purpose of the targeted audience.

I do agree with you on the part on building relationships with a local dealer. I wish I could, I am not from here, just serving for another 2 years before I am given orders to go somewhere else on duty. Local to me most dealers around here will get very low numbers of allocations or will be asking for price adjustments. Once gain, I play within the guidelines and rather go somewhere with more vehicles are sent and sold at MSRP only. Hope things work out for me eventually.
I think it's important to remember that everyone acts in their own self interest.

When a dealer has tons of inventory, yes, take the cash from wherever it comes. When the lots are empty, why not make the limited quantity of vehicles you can get, "do more" than put cash in your pocket? (i.e. lay the foundation for a future potential relationship)

You say you're against ADMs, of course you are, you're a customer. I certainly don't fault you for that. Are you against a dealer taking $5000 off msrp to get a sale?

Ultimately, yes, car manufacturers price cars at what they think is best, with a ton of research involved. They're not perfect though, and sometimes dealers need to discount those Ecosports and ADM those GT500s to bring it into line with market conditions.

That being said, it wouldn't suprise me at all if even cars that were listed with an ADM, the ADM would go away for a loyal customer to that dealer.

Sponsored

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
And thank you for the article. I will be reaching out to my dealer regarding the rebate.
They passed it but didnā€™t fund it, so while it was supposed to be up and running this past January it hasnā€˜t started yet.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
They passed it but didnā€™t fund it, so while it was supposed to be up and running this past January it hasnā€˜t started yet.
And it looks like funding will not make it into the FY23/24 biannual budget.
Sponsored