• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dear Ford: please add charge rate display *somewhere*

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
@Ford Motor Company As of now the only way i can see what rate the truck is charging is by looking at the time it’s predicting to finish charging and then calculating myself what the presumed charge rate is. This is totally unacceptable. Knowing your charge rate is one of the most basic pieces operational information for an EV. Please fix this immediately.

As of now the truck is telling me it will take 29 hours to charge 16% on Level 1. This doesn’t make sense but if i knew what the charge rate was and how much energy the truck is expending then i might be able to make sense of it and decide if i wanted to try another method. But as of now i’m completely in the dark about how the truck is coming up with (now, 31 hours) to charge 20kwh. That’s an indicates it’s charging at well under 1kw. Why? The level 1 chargers i’ve used are typically 1.2-1.5kw. Why does the truck think it’s charging at 0.7kw?

Also, i can’t find anywhere that states the specified output of the ford mobile charger on level 1. Is there a spec sheet? The ford literature i found on the charger doesn’t say much about performance of the charger.
Sponsored

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
With you on this to see KW or an advanced mode where you can see both volts and amps.

vacasity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning 2022 XLT
Never owned an EV before, but I want this as well. The lack of information while charging is not acceptable.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I just want anything that’s worth looking at in the Truck or on the App. Basic EV Stuff like the competition has …. Even that the Mach-E might have. Just make the experience better @Ford Motor Company

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Seconded

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
@Ford Motor Company As of now the only way i can see what rate the truck is charging is by looking at the time it’s predicting to finish charging and then calculating myself what the presumed charge rate is. This is totally unacceptable. Knowing your charge rate is one of the most basic pieces operational information for an EV. Please fix this immediately.

As of now the truck is telling me it will take 29 hours to charge 16% on Level 1. This doesn’t make sense but if i knew what the charge rate was and how much energy the truck is expending then i might be able to make sense of it and decide if i wanted to try another method. But as of now i’m completely in the dark about how the truck is coming up with (now, 31 hours) to charge 20kwh. That’s an indicates it’s charging at well under 1kw. Why? The level 1 chargers i’ve used are typically 1.2-1.5kw. Why does the truck think it’s charging at 0.7kw?

Also, i can’t find anywhere that states the specified output of the ford mobile charger on level 1. Is there a spec sheet? The ford literature i found on the charger doesn’t say much about performance of the charger.
Based on my experience with my Mach-E and the Ford Mobile Charger, I can report that the level 1 rate will be lower than what we might expect. It’s rated at 12A, 120V, which is 1.4 KW gross input. Expect 15% or more charger losses, along with other variables, and I usually end up around 1 KW net. I don’t think I’ve ever seen as low as 700 W, but it doesn’t really surprise me.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Well, after 19 hours of charging it has taken in a little over 20kWh, so it's probably actually delivering around 1.2kW and getting about 1kW to the battery. It's still saying that the last 4% of charge is going to take 10 hours, which would be 0.5kW charge rate. 🤷‍♂️

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Just went to an Electrify America charger and was sorely disappointed the large cluster showed an enormous truck picture, a large charging bar... and then no charging rate. Yes, this seriously needs to be fixed.

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
If you really really want to have this information in the meantime, there are ways to get it via the OBD port.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ing-information-data-in-torque-pro-app.11243/
This is all great if you want to: “You'll want to download that file, extract the .zip, and then import the resulting CSV into Torque. You can then build your real-time information screen.”
I was reading ABRP latest updates and they support exactly this info via OBD for the Mach-E but not the Lightning, yet. No date on the Lightning. Yes, huge miss @Ford. Steereerrriiiike.

Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
The calculation is bonkers in numerous ways. Just some of the ones I've noticed:
  • If you have scheduled charging set, it uses the total time from when you plugged in through when charging starts in order to calculate charge rate / time - resulting in an insanely low estimated rate and a preposterously long estimate of time to completion
  • Same thing happens if the vehicle is parked for a few days and falls below the target charge level before it starts charging again: it uses the total time plugged in to estimate charge rate and...ridiculous values
  • If you plug in at certain times of day such that the projected completion time spans midnight, the app will get AM and PM mixed up and again produce absurd estimates
  • The estimates are often insanely stale because the app won't wake the car to get fresh data, and the car does not seem to reliably stay awake when plugged in waiting to charge (possibly not even when plugged in charging)
I know I sound like a broken record, but: Ford should throw away their garbage app and give the team charged with replacing it a clear mandate that they may not "innovate" nor produce any features of their own invention until it does exactly what the Tesla app does (they could omit the charging cost screens I suppose); no more, no less, and does it reliably. Their current app is giving their entire product line a black eye.

OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
OP
OP
LightningShow

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
This and battery percentage on all screens not just the clean setting.
Oddly enough i found out recently that the %soc also shows up when you’re using BlueCruise. Which makes no sense but there it is.