• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Diesel heater(new video of it running)

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Some people might be butt hurt but whatever.
Can't wait for cold weather testing.
Doesn't get extremely hot in the cab which is ok. But to midly heat the cab and only uses 12watts I'm ok with that

It's not really ment for this but with a bit more tweaking I think it will be perfect

Right now everything is temporarily installed. Wasn't sure if it would freak out or not. Wanted it easily removable waiting for a check valve to stop reverse flow

Drove 140km in -2celcius weather and i had to turn it down because it was to warm. We will see at 30 below

Ford F-150 Lightning Diesel heater(new video of it running) 20221028_161546

Ford F-150 Lightning Diesel heater(new video of it running) 20221028_161558

Ford F-150 Lightning Diesel heater(new video of it running) 20221028_161535
Sponsored

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
I'd do the same but I'm spoiled here in socal. Cool project.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Whoa I suggested in another thread that Ford could add a fuel heater for extremely cold weather. I never thought someone would be crazy enough to do it though!

Did you build it into the hot water loop of the truck? I don't understand from the pictures how the heat gets into the cab.

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Whoa I suggested in another thread that Ford could add a fuel heater for extremely cold weather. I never thought someone would be crazy enough to do it though!

Did you build it into the hot water loop of the truck? I don't understand from the pictures how the heat gets into the cab.
Sure did it's plummed into the heater core. So I just use the fan like normal and out comes hot air

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I can't believe someone would do this to their Lightning. Ford tested in cold environments. This is a really bad idea.

Not "butt hurt", just amazed that someone would do this without even determining the need (there isn't one).

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
I can't believe someone would do this to their Lightning. Ford tested in cold environments. This is a really bad idea.

Not "butt hurt", just amazed that someone would do this without even determining the need (there isn't one).
You could have saved a bunch of time and money and bought a Powerboost instead.
I mean...this kind of solves the issue of range degradation in the winter months, while sipping on the fuel and giving you close to normal battery range, no?

Buying a Powerboost would only benefit OP in the winter and come Spring/Summer/Fall would be back to paying an arm and a leg to fuel it.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I mean...this kind of solves the issue of range degradation in the winter months, while sipping on the fuel and giving you close to normal battery range, no?

Buying a Powerboost would only benefit OP in the winter and come Spring/Summer/Fall would be back to paying an arm and a leg to fuel it.
Try running your truck in winter with no cabin heat at all. You still wont get anywhere near the rated range. Cabin heat is a relatively small portion of winter range degradation.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Try running your truck in winter with no cabin heat at all. You still wont get anywhere near the rated range. Cabin heat is a relatively small portion of winter range degradation.
I mean I did it in my Bolt and for that particular car, running the heat on my commute made a big change. Without HVAC running it went back up to my average in the coldest part of winter 🤷‍♂️

Additionally if he is up in Saskatchewan I would say anything would help in limiting the range. There is only so much that preconditioning can do.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I mean I did it in my Bolt and for that particular car, running the heat on my commute made a big change. Without HVAC running it went back up to my average in the coldest part of winter 🤷‍♂️

Additionally if he is up in Saskatchewan I would say anything would help in limiting the range. There is only so much that preconditioning can do.
I’ve heard that before regarding Bolts.
My Mach-E doesn’t behave that way. I get 290-300 all summer. In single digit temps, around 200 give or take whether using either E Heat or heated seats only.

OP
OP

Dylanch

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Speak for yourself iv had an ev for 5 yrs now and I know the impact cold can have.
Sponsored