• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Does the battery lose range when left in the cold?

IH905

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Lincoln Nav, Lightning Platinum-On order
Occupation
Business Owner
I have to leave the truck at an airport for a week and it will be outside in freezing temps and not plugged in. Will I lose much range?
Sponsored

Capstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost, 2019 Nissan Leaf
Yes, MillieChliette is correct. I just left my truck for 6 days at an airport and the battery percentage went from 86% to 84% at an average 0deg Celsius. I was surprised It was so little. I took a screen shot of before and after in car scanner and I lost kWh from 95.82 to 86.83. You can see it was -2 when I fired it up. No issues at all

Ford F-150 Lightning Does the battery lose range when left in the cold? 32EDCA18-B707-4EDA-979B-5149A1EA32AD

Ford F-150 Lightning Does the battery lose range when left in the cold? F4F5F3BB-A6BE-4C86-9343-F53F2F7282D7

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Yes, MillieChliette is correct. I just left my truck for 6 days at an airport and the battery percentage went from 86% to 84% at an average 0deg Celsius. I was surprised It was so little. I took a screen shot of before and after in car scanner and I lost kWh from 95.82 to 86.83. You can see it was -2 when I fired it up. No issues at all

32EDCA18-B707-4EDA-979B-5149A1EA32AD.jpeg

F4F5F3BB-A6BE-4C86-9343-F53F2F7282D7.jpeg
Side question on your use of CarScanner

I noticed your gauge that is monitoring Ampsā€¦.Iā€™m assuming output from the HVB? Iā€™ve been looking for the two PIDs for the onboard chargersā€¦found one, the other is allusiv. By any chance, have you identified both?

Capstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost, 2019 Nissan Leaf
Yeah I couldnā€™t find it inside the list of sensors besides the HV AC Charger Input Current. I thought at the time you could click on the sensor and see itā€™s setup and then add a new pod to test trial and error but no luck.
I havenā€™t ventured any farther because I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous!! :)

Sponsored

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
This is fantastic. I've been waiting to find out anything nearing the "minimum critical temp" at which the vehicle will self heat to protect the battery. Seeing as you are in Canada you'll hit that temp before I will in NY. Thank you so much for posting that!

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Batteries lock away some of the capacity while they're cold but that lost capacity returns after it warms up so just don't park it with a low state of charge.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Yeah I couldnā€™t find it inside the list of sensors besides the HV AC Charger Input Current. I thought at the time you could click on the sensor and see itā€™s setup and then add a new pod to test trial and error but no luck.
I havenā€™t ventured any farther because I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous!! :)
Well, thanks again for your postā€¦your Dashboard pointed out to me the ability to view the Power being drawn by the heater for the battery coolant. My understanding (Iā€™m sure someone will correct me if Iā€™m incorrectšŸ˜) is this coolant circuit is also used to supply the heat for the cabin ā€¦ Iā€™ve been looking for a way to monitor this power draw and itā€™s impact on range. Now, more road testsā€¦..šŸ¤“

My Driving Dashboardā€¦ā€¦..in ā€œDemonstration Modeā€
Ford F-150 Lightning Does the battery lose range when left in the cold? 320E55F0-1807-4692-96C8-C262E700F1C3

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous!!
I am dangerous in so many aspects of my life I have lost count. I would like to add this to the list. Can you tell me what you are using?

Is this the app?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner

what do you use for hardware? Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Supports-Vehicles/dp/B076XVQMVS
one of the reviews said not great for Ford. Are there any of them that is better for EVs and better for Ford (more useful data)?
Sponsored

Last edited: