• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EA charging problems seriously damaging Ford's image

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I'm standing right now, in some frustration, in the Newburgh NY Wal-Mart. After 6 attempts my truck is finally charging. 3 times previously this week I've rolled up to an EA charger and found most or all handles not working and exchanged views with other Ford customers trying to charge. Suffice to say nobody's happy about this. The other mornings I had enough charge to keep rolling to my destination - barely - but today I had to stick it out.

Just to give a sample of today's nonsense at this 4-handle EA station:

Handle 10283-02 - plugged in, got all the way through the screens to "processing payment" then told me to unplug, replug, and would not perform plug-and charge. Also would not accept credit-card payment; could not attempt activation via the EA app as the app is hanging on login this morning (others waiting here reported the same problem).

Handles 10283-01 and 101283-03: got to "connecting to vehicle" and then immediately marked themselves as "unavailable".

Handle 10283-04, once an Audi attempting unsuccessfully to charge drove away in frustration: plug and charge worked on the 2nd attempt.

EA "call to activate" phone number: still on hold after 15 minutes.

If the last handle at this station, which is the only one along I87 to nearly Albany since the state rest areas are currently out of service for construction, had not finally worked, I would have been stuck until 10AM when a nearby Kia dealer opens - if they'd even let me charge there.

Oh, did I mention the EA station layouts in Walmart lots were recently enhanced with extra bollards that make it quite difficult to even get out of an F150 without denting the driver side door? It's great to have to repeatedly navigate this while trying every charger at a station because most of them don't work.

Meanwhile I am late to work despite leaving an hour early in anticipation of EA charging problems, and I got to watch a constant stream of Teslas pulling in and out of the adjacent Supercharger topping up with no trouble and going about their business.

Again, this is the 3rd EA station where I've seen this kind of problem *this week*. I've heard multiple other drivers who, like me, had switched from Teslas or still also own Teslas cursing Ford and EA and ruing their decision. Sure, it's temporary frustration that passes, and I love my truck, but let people down often enough and that will change.

Ford is a big EA customer. They need to put the screws to them to address these problems. With the telemetry EA has on stations it's inconceivable they don't know what's going on and Ford should insist they aggressively lock stations exhibiting this kind of problem into free mode until they're *sure* they're durably fixed. And their app hanging on login...I'm sure EA doesn't see this as serious since it leads customers with discount plans to pay full rate and never get refunds (since it is impossible to reach them on the phone!) but Ford should have someone testing this every hour all day long and impose penalties on EA while it's happening.

Ford needs to throw its weight around and get this fixed before lasting brand damage is done.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I agree that it is a problem and is getting worse . I had to call for a station reset for the first time earlier this month in Scranton PA.

That said, while I would like Ford to pressure EA, I don't really blame Ford for this. If a gas pump isn't working you don't blame the car company, you blame the gas station.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I've made a few posts here and on the Rivian forums as well... The EA charger hardware/ network is absolute trash. It's not just hurting Ford, it's hurting all EVs. I recently encountered a guy in an Ionic 5 at an EA charger and he was having worse luck with charging than I was. Chatted with him a bit, but he wasn't in the mood to really have a discussion -- he was essentially ready to throw in the towel on the whole EV thing. Cursing his decision to buy an EV... All because of EA charging and he needed to use public charging most days since he's fighting with his condo complex about getting a charger installed.

This is why VW pulled their stake in EA. EA won't survive if they don't get their charge stations sorted -- unlikely since the internals are a spaghetti like mess of dated tech. If anyone here is an EA engineer that was involved in the design of their chargers, especially their latest 350kW units, I offer zero apologies... Your hardware sucks balls and you should be embarrassed to have been involved with that project. Please just stop now before you do any further damage and pursue a career path more worthy of your skill set.. Like working at Wendy's.

EA will not survive as more competition enters the market. And right now the charging market in North America is wide open for takeover. I'm still scratching my head as to why Tesla doesn't jump all over this now and dominate the charging space. Because their chargers are simple, reliable... they just work. I've encountered a few that have been down, but almost always it's due to physical damage or power being out and the gas station next to them can't pump gas either. Far more likely to encounter out of service gas pumps than an out of service Tesla supercharger. Move to the next stall, carry on...

OP
OP

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I agree that it is a problem and is getting worse . I had to call for a station reset for the first time earlier this month in Scranton PA.

That said, while I would like Ford to pressure EA, I don't really blame Ford for this. If a gas pump isn't working you don't blame the car company, you blame the gas station.
Ford very deliberately tied themselves to EA:
  • Only place plug-and-charge "works"
  • Only option for redeeming free charging offered with new vehicles
  • Formerly, only option for discounted charging offered through Ford (withdrawn, rumor has it because EA could not make it work)
  • One of only a few "BlueOval Network" members which supposedly means Ford themselves perform additional testing and quality assurance on chargers.
Ford handcuffed themselves to these clowns, who seem to be barely treading water. They ought to be looking for the key before they are dragged to the bottom with them when they sink.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've made a few posts here and on the Rivian forums as well... The EA charger hardware/ network is absolute trash. It's not just hurting Ford, it's hurting all EVs. I recently encountered a guy in an Ionic 5 at an EA charger and he was having worse luck with charging than I was. Chatted with him a bit, but he wasn't in the mood to really have a discussion -- he was essentially ready to throw in the towel on the whole EV thing. Cursing his decision to buy an EV... All because of EA charging and he needed to use public charging most days since he's fighting with his condo complex about getting a charger installed.

This is why VW pulled their stake in EA. EA won't survive if they don't get their charge stations sorted -- unlikely since the internals are a spaghetti like mess of dated tech. If anyone here is an EA engineer that was involved in the design of their chargers, especially their latest 350kW units, I offer zero apologies... Your hardware sucks balls and you should be embarrassed to have been involved with that project. Please just stop now before you do any further damage and pursue a career path more worthy of your skill set.. Like working at Wendy's.

EA will not survive as more competition enters the market. And right now the charging market in North America is wide open for takeover. I'm still scratching my head as to why Tesla doesn't jump all over this now and dominate the charging space. Because their chargers are simple, reliable... they just work. I've encountered a few that have been down, but almost always it's due to physical damage or power being out and the gas station next to them can't pump gas either. Far more likely to encounter out of service gas pumps than an out of service Tesla supercharger. Move to the next stall, carry on...
All very true - however it is also telling that EA is the most reliable CCS network out there. I have issues at EA station, but I have far more issues at any other network I try.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
So many times people complain about charging issues on these EV forums but never really communicate with the service provider. If you have a problem charging you need to continue to pursue the problem with the provider until they at least understand the problem. These charging service providers can’t fix problems they don’t know about.

Complain about charging service providers on these forums makes you come across as a troll trying to discredit electric vehicles. There are much better ways to express your displeasure with service providers like using another network that serves you better. Battery Electric Vehicles are still a relatively new technology and, if we want the technology to grow, we all need to work together to refine the technology.

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Make sure you write a comment on Plugshare. You have to do while your still at the charging station. Also if you're on Twitter, follow RateYourCharge ( https://twitter.com/RateYourCharge) and submit a post. The charge point operators are following this twitter account and its making an impact. With govt funding being handed out, the CPO's have to be held accountable.

OP
OP

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
A different protocol of P&C works great at EVgo.
This is relatively new, I think? And good news.

Can those of us with free charging balances still remaining use them at EVgo? That would be even better.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
So many times people complain about charging issues on these EV forums but never really communicate with the service provider. If you have a problem charging you need to continue to pursue the problem with the provider until they at least understand the problem. These charging service providers can’t fix problems they don’t know about.

Complain about charging service providers on these forums makes you come across as a troll trying to discredit electric vehicles. There are much better ways to express your displeasure with service providers like using another network that serves you better. Battery Electric Vehicles are still a relatively new technology and, if we want the technology to grow, we all need to work together to refine the technology.
Sorry, if I wanted to feel pressured to act like a fanboy I'd frequent the Tesla forums.

The charging providers have telemetry on their stations. They know when they're not working. I said quite clearly I spent a great deal of time on the phone *today* with EA trying to let them know a station wasn't working - indeed I remained on hold for over 30 minutes before giving up - so, honestly, go fish.

Ford and EA follow this forum. Our sharing our problems with terrible charging experiences with their "BlueOval Network" here reaches people who can help. I choose not to follow your advice to restrict what I write to sappy boosterism. You, on the other hand, can write what you wish to.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GDN

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
A different protocol of P&C works great at EVgo.
Yes, this is why I go to EVGo 90% of the time - true plug and charge using Autocharge+.
No more pulling out your phone or fumbling with the charger screens.
EVGo is awesome - just pull up, plug her in, watch for blue charge light, walk away and the app will message when it reaches 80% then 90% and finally 100%.

OTOH: EA is just awful with lack of working chargers, app doesn't show down towers, and VW iD4 owners hogging up the chargers for their free charge sessions.

EVGo is pricier than EA, but I'd rather pay extra for true working 350kW dual simultaneous chargers that accurately report on their app.

Just recently, I found Shell Recharge offers very low rates ($0.15 / kWh) but they are not as available as EVGo stations. Will report back with Shell Recharge this weekend.

Ford F-150 Lightning EA charging problems seriously damaging Ford's image IMG_A3E4B2F0E4DD-1

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Only place plug-and-charge "works"
You can nearly P&C at ChargePoint, use the FP map, charging, zoom to location if you're there or locate along your route, once there, activate terminal plug in, fees post to the CC in your P&C account.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Can those of us with free charging balances still remaining use them at EVgo? That would be even better.
No, only free 250kw at EA if you can get to a working dispenser

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I have had to call EA on all but two of my last 10 or 12 charge stops! All I get from them are 20 minute hold times just so I can use my account rate to charge since their NFC readers are not working. Touch screens don’t work…. Charger won’t climb above a rate of 40kW…. All I get are excuses like “it’s the power company’s fault” or “it’s due to cold weather”.

Review on plugshare? Er… well I’m not using plugshare but I guess I could add more crap to deal with. Same with Twitter or whatever. No, EA knows what they have. Their field techs know how shitty the hardware is, at least the few I’ve talked to. I guess I could write a letter to EA corporate. Actually I’m planning to do that this weekend and reference all my charge sessions. And point out I have yet to be credited for my member rate from several of them. I do complain to them verbally, especially when I have to call their support line just to charge.

So I’ll drive 10 miles out of my way to not use an EA charger now. Chargers from EV Go and ChargePoint have all been solid and deliver charge rates advertised, within limits of what the truck can handle. It’s just difficult finding fast chargers. I have also found the 150kW EA chargers to be more consistent and reliable than the 350kW units.
Sponsored