• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EA DCFC chargers are still free ? Line of EVs waiting to charge - how long is this going to last ?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Yesterday on my way home, I stopped by a Target store and saw an EA DCFC and needed to charge.

Plugged in and saw the $ per wattage go up and up, set the max charge to 90% and went shopping.

Came out 45 minutes later and it had stopped at 90%.

There were all of a sudden a line of other EVs waiting to charge!

2 VW ID4
3 BMW iX
1 MME GT
1 EQS
1 Bolt
1 Rivian
1 Genesis

When I looked at the screen, it said "complimentary charging" $0.

Guess people have heard of the free charging.

How long is this going to last ??
Ford F-150 Lightning EA DCFC chargers are still free ?  Line of EVs waiting to charge - how long is this going to last ? IMG_9572.JPG
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hopefully not that long. Free charging is nice, but available charging is even nicer if you are on a road trip.

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE
Must not be everywhere. I had kW deducted from my plan Sunday evening (just a couple since it was simply a is everything set up right try - typically charge at home).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
In places where DCFC capacity is already strained, “free” charging is a terrible idea.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
It's amazing how much people will go out of their way to get $5-$10 of <insert anything> for free. I ignore those free days/weeks and just count them as a pleasant surprise when I coincidentally charge on one of them.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It's amazing how much people will go out of their way to get $5-$10 of <insert anything> for free. I ignore those free days/weeks and just count them as a pleasant surprise when I coincidentally charge on one of them.
My favorite is the people who queue for gas that is $0.10 cheaper per gallon, and wait 30 minutes. My time is worth more than $2.00.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Well, FWIW with the Lightning that could be 0.43c * 131Kw = $56

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
that is assuming you need a fast charge. The trade off is likely charging at home for many folks.

You can also cut that down with the EA membership for $4

.32c * 131Kw = ~$42 + $4 for the membership = $46.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Must not be everywhere. I had kW deducted from my plan Sunday evening (just a couple since it was simply a is everything set up right try - typically charge at home).
Correct, when I called EA after I noticed the $0 bill on the screen, rep said that most of the chargers are undergoing an app software update and those chargers are free while they update not to upset anyone who needs to charge.

Sponsored

kab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER (Atlas Blue)
If you're getting more than 33 from EA, you're better off paying the $4 monthly fee to drop the rate to $0.31... $4 + ($0.31 * 131) = $44.64

Edit: @sotek2345 - great minds think alike!

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
that is assuming you need a fast charge. The trade off is likely charging at home for many folks.

You can also cut that down with the EA membership for $4

.32c * 131Kw = ~$42 + $4 for the membership = $46.

Oh I know. If I was doing a full cost-benefit analysis I'd also have to factor the KW used to drive to the station, etc.

But I don't necessarily dismiss people's economic concerns... $5 here, $10 there can add up. In the case of new(er) larger EVs with larger batteries the delta becomes larger.

That is something I don't *think* anyone is really marketing yet at least on a large scale.-- tthe financial benefits of larger truck/SUV EVs. It's all about the power, the driving experience, the cool factor. I'm very interested in the X's and 0's. For large EVs the purchase price is a tough barrier to entry, but you're talking potentially $2-5k/yr LESS in running costs.

Last edited:

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Please correct me if I am wrong Nathan.
I do not own an EV.
How would it be marketable to pay Peter so you don't have to pay Paul.
ie More money for EV because one does not have to buy gas.
I watch my X's and O's on my ICE F-150 very closely.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Please correct me if I am wrong Nathan.
I do not own an EV.
How would it be marketable to pay Peter so you don't have to pay Paul.
ie More money for EV because one does not have to buy gas.
I watch my X's and O's on my ICE F-150 very closely.

I'm not sure if you're truly seeking clarification or if you are being sarcastic.. but I'll try to explain.

Lets say I am looking for a new pickup truck-- for clarity I'll choose an f150

I chose a Lariat, 4x4 supercrew, 5.5ft bed, hybrid engine, max tow and "high" package because it has features closest comparison to the Lightning.

The MSRP on this build was $60,495.
The mpg is roughly 23mpg(EPA)
If I drive 15,000mi per year that equates to $2400 in fuel costs

f150 Lightning build was ~$75k for standard range Lariat
70 MPGe --15k miles = $950/yr (@13c/KwH power home electric rate)

Price difference= $14505.... $1450 per year LESS in fuel ---> potential 10yr payback assuming gas prices stay constant and assuming you get EPA fuel economy.

Also does not factor-- tax credits, other service costs(oil changes, transmission fluid changes, etc), repair costs, potential difference in resale and/or vehicle life

I also have solar so my power cost can potentially be even less over time.

From a financial perspective we are getting to the point EVs can make financial sense vs ICE..

As always YMMV but payback can be manageable depending upon setting.

Then there is the "benefit" of EVs-- smoother ride, more power, quieter, etc. Also doing the right thing...cleaner air, not giving money to big oil.

These are all factors...

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
You're absolutely right. It could be a larger purchase than I implied given the max amount they get out of it. It could also be a 30 minute wait in line followed by 30 minutes of charging to fill up 50% of the battery. Then once you deduct the price to fill up at home with home, it still brings it well under $20 in savings. If it takes me an hour or more outside of work hours to save that much money, it's going to take a lot of my time to save up enough money to make a material impact on my budget. As someone else said, my time is worth more than that.

I apologize if my original post came off as condescending. I just don't feel like most low value free things are worth the time investment they typically require.
Sponsored