• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EEVEE App - track charging costs across all charges

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I'm trying to use the EEVEE App to track charging costs across all charges that I charge my Lightning and Mach E at, but there aren't enough Ford users on it yet. They still need 583 more people to be able to officially support Ford vehicles. All I'm asking is to take a look at the app and see if it something that you might be interested in doing. If so, set it up so it will count towards the total still required.
Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Be warned that if you are required to give that app access to Ford pass or provide them with your login to Ford pass, then your Ford account may get locked down. The cyber security team is really going after this right now

OP
OP

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
Be warned that if you are required to give that app access to Ford pass or provide them with your login to Ford pass, then your Ford account may get locked down. The cyber security team is really going after this right now
The Ford cybersecurity team is going after this?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
The Ford cybersecurity team is going after this?
Yes, the Ford cyber security team is locking down people's accounts that have given access to other apps/companies as it is in violation of the terms of service. Those companies are scraping as much user data as they can from the servers and then selling it to other companies

OP
OP

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
Yes, the Ford cyber security team is locking down people's accounts that have given access to other apps/companies as it is in violation of the terms of service. Those companies are scraping as much user data as they can from the servers and then selling it to other companies
I did not know this. I've only given my forward information out the one company and that's that company. Concurrent. So I guess I might need to cancel that out if Ford is making it a big deal.

It's odd though, I've had concurrent for about 2 years with my Mustang Mach E and nothing has ever happened.

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Hard pass on giving any third party company access to my FordPass account.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'm all about Ford looking out for my security, but lets face it - with the poor app and tracking and collecting data about driving and charging for the owner, there is no need for Ford to lock anyone out here. This app is anything but useful. The last 3 weeks it doesn't even know my charging status, its totally wonky right now.

It is on Ford to create the most secure infrastructure, using VPN's, keys, updating and rotating those on a regular basis, etc. but it is my truck and my access to do with what I want it. I can let others capture my stream of data should I choose.

This is the problem with the legacy makers - there is more information in the data stream and we can collect it and use it and learn from it, but they are afraid of it and letting some outside entity capture it.

This is where Tesla kicks the pants off of the competition. There are ways to securely generate tokens to give third parties access to capture the stream on my behalf and interact with the vehicle with their app without worrying about someone having access to my car.

Teslafi is one of the biggest 3rd party Tesla apps. Almost 20K users. It was incredible what I could see and track and know. My charging habits. Charging efficiency based on location, type, weather. Over time performance of the battery and its health and capacity. Then on top of it, it will also aggregate across the fleet and allow you to compare your charging and battery health to others with similar vehicle.

I truly have a feeling Ford is very wary of this kind of data being assimilated and learned by others. I hope not, we can all learn from it, improve from it and use it, there is no reason to worry and lock the owner from their own data.

Almost day 1 when I got the invite was to reach out to Teslafi to see if they were going to embrace Ford. Sadly - they said no. There are a few others trying and what we can capture and learn from it could be great knowledge if Ford doesn't keep trying to lock it down or shut them out.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I'm all about Ford looking out for my security, but lets face it - with the poor app and tracking and collecting data about driving and charging for the owner, there is no need for Ford to lock anyone out here. This app is anything but useful. The last 3 weeks it doesn't even know my charging status, its totally wonky right now.

It is on Ford to create the most secure infrastructure, using VPN's, keys, updating and rotating those on a regular basis, etc. but it is my truck and my access to do with what I want it. I can let others capture my stream of data should I choose.

This is the problem with the legacy makers - there is more information in the data stream and we can collect it and use it and learn from it, but they are afraid of it and letting some outside entity capture it.

This is where Tesla kicks the pants off of the competition. There are ways to securely generate tokens to give third parties access to capture the stream on my behalf and interact with the vehicle with their app without worrying about someone having access to my car.

Teslafi is one of the biggest 3rd party Tesla apps. Almost 20K users. It was incredible what I could see and track and know. My charging habits. Charging efficiency based on location, type, weather. Over time performance of the battery and its health and capacity. Then on top of it, it will also aggregate across the fleet and allow you to compare your charging and battery health to others with similar vehicle.

I truly have a feeling Ford is very wary of this kind of data being assimilated and learned by others. I hope not, we can all learn from it, improve from it and use it, there is no reason to worry and lock the owner from their own data.

Almost day 1 when I got the invite was to reach out to Teslafi to see if they were going to embrace Ford. Sadly - they said no. There are a few others trying and what we can capture and learn from it could be great knowledge if Ford doesn't keep trying to lock it down or shut them out.
Yes, it is your choice.

Myself, like others posting here are choosing not to allow unproven 3rd parties to scrape our data.

Capstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost, 2019 Nissan Leaf
Well just in case interested EV.Energy app (green icon) may solve your issue. It presently works with ford and multiple vehicles. It does require access to pull the charging information but does work. I needed a way to track charging kWh for work. Kind of surprised Ford doesn’t do this. How would any work truck track its usage?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Yes, it is your choice.

Myself, like others posting here are choosing not to allow unproven 3rd parties to scrape our data.
I didn't agree to let this app have my credentials. I'm simply noting that it is on Ford to supply the hardened rules and security around the truck and the mothership communications and there are some proven companies and ways (if they chose to support Ford) to pick up on that data stream also securely.

I have no idea who this new app is and I didn't even go check them out, but there are ways to do this and do it well.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

At the same time Tesla OWNS your vehicle whether it’s paid off or not. They decide whether to allow you to use their SC network, whether to disable the car completely because you tried to modify anything other than physical components.

The legacy automakers make cars with so so software, Tesla makes software with so so Cars.

Personally I’d rather have the so so software with little to no control from the Manufacturer. Eventually we will start seeing a lot more third party repair shops for Fords than Tesla.

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
At the same time Tesla OWNS your vehicle whether it’s paid off or not. They decide whether to allow you to use their SC network, whether to disable the car completely because you tried to modify anything other than physical components.

The legacy automakers make cars with so so software, Tesla makes software with so so Cars.

Personally I’d rather have the so so software with little to no control from the Manufacturer. Eventually we will start seeing a lot more third party repair shops for Fords than Tesla.
While I understand your sentiment, saying Tesla "OWNS" your car is a bit of a stretch. Controls your car's software and features...yes. They also need that control to provide the features that all Tesla owners sincerely enjoy. Tesla owners get new features and updates after they take ownership as Tesla continuously attempts to upgrade the user experience. Ford is much slower to act.

Also, I agree with "legacy automakers make cars with so so software" but saying Tesla makes "so so Cars" isn't true. As much as I think the CT is a metal turd, Tesla is the most valuable automaker (by a very wide margin) for a reason.

Tesla's approach is that of Apple; focus on the user experience (software, particularly macOS and iOS) and match the hardware to the user experience. Ford seems to be designing the hardware first and matching the software to the hardware's capability. That worked 15-20 years ago, not anymore.

Back when vehicles were mostly mechanical with few computers and modules, I would tend to agree with you. Now that these vehicles have more computers and modules than serviceable mechanical parts...it really is the opposite.

• Love

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
3rd party apps can work with the Ford data through the API developer program. The issue is the apps that are attempting to bypass that by using customers login to gain access to the data

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
3rd party apps can work with the Ford data through the API developer program. The issue is the apps that are attempting to bypass that by using customers login to gain access to the data
That is a whole different world I wasn't aware of. I do hope there is a lot more data in the stream or planned to be in the stream and that some good apps pick it up soon. We are missing a lot of good data from the early days of our trucks.
Sponsored