• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Electric motor clicking sound

MuradS

First Name
Murad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I use one pedal drive mode, and every time I take my foot off the pedal and the truck starts to apply the brakes to slow down, I hear clicks coming from the electric motor. I also hear when the truck nears a full stop, then again when I accelerate from a full stop or very low speeds. I usually hear multiple clicks. To my it looks like this happens when the truck either engages or disengages the regenerative breaking mechanism. I can hear the clicks even if the windows are closed (without having music on). I am not sure if this is normal, and the electric motor should behave this way or is it a sign of something wrong.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Might be half shaft joints. This is a somewhat common failure in EVs, including the Mach-E and some Tesla models.
Take it to your dealer.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I use one pedal drive mode, and every time I take my foot off the pedal and the truck starts to apply the brakes to slow down, I hear clicks coming from the electric motor. I also hear when the truck nears a full stop, then again when I accelerate from a full stop or very low speeds. I usually hear multiple clicks. To my it looks like this happens when the truck either engages or disengages the regenerative breaking mechanism. I can hear the clicks even if the windows are closed (without having music on). I am not sure if this is normal, and the electric motor should behave this way or is it a sign of something wrong.
You likely want to find and read through this thread - https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ither-in-forward-or-reverse.10636/post-216076

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello there! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I'd be happy to look into your vehicle concern.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
OP
OP

MuradS

First Name
Murad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The rest of you in the other thread don't matter. :)
I think the other thread is different that is why I started a new thread. I don't have an issue in forward or reverse, the issue is when regenerative braking engages or disengages

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Hello there! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I'd be happy to look into your vehicle concern.
This has been a cited issue for many since day one. Get ahead of it and issue a TSB already.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I think the other thread is different that is why I started a new thread. I don't have an issue in forward or reverse, the issue is when regenerative braking engages or disengages
I really donā€™t think itā€™s different. It all boils down to when the direction of rotational force changes on the half shafts. Thatā€™s when you hear a click.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
It is mentioned in every review as a characteristic of the Lightning. Think of it as a feature, not a bug. It is just the noise they make.

Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
It is mentioned in every review as a characteristic of the Lightning. Think of it as a feature, not a bug. It is just the noise they make.
Where? I genuinely donā€™t remember reading that anywhere.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I've recently noticed a distinct click sound when the regen in one-pedal is activated or disengaged. Either when I take my foot off the accelerator or when I start to accelerate from a stop.

So far this has only happened when one-pedal is engaged. Doesn't feel wrong, but it is a noticeable sound. Like something is clicking or snapping into place...

F150_lightning

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Lariat ER
I've made the switch to one-pedal drive. For the most part its awesome.

Just curious if I'm in the same boat as everyone else... when coming to a complete stop or right as you press the gas pedal from a complete stop, there is some kind of electronic brake that is being engaged and disengaged. At least thats what sounds and feels like to me. I could be wrong. Does anyone know what the truck is doing?

When this break engages and disengages it squeaks noticeably. Drives me nuts. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I've made the switch to one-pedal drive. For the most part its awesome.

Just curious if I'm in the same boat as everyone else... when coming to a complete stop or right as you press the gas pedal from a complete stop, there is some kind of electronic brake that is being engaged and disengaged. At least thats what sounds and feels like to me. I could be wrong. Does anyone know what the truck is doing?

When this break engages and disengages it squeaks noticeably. Drives me nuts. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...ither-in-forward-or-reverse.10636/post-279303

F150_lightning

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine isnā€™t a ā€œTing , Pop or Clickā€.

Itā€™s more of a ā€œErrrrreeeeekā€
Sponsored