• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Electrify America Will Double Its EV Charging Network by 2025

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Electrify America Announces its "Boost Plan" to More than Double its Current EV Charging Network by End of 2025

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/149

Expanding Current Ultra-Fast Charging Network in the U.S. and Canada to more than 1,800 charging
stations and over 10,000 individual chargers

Reston, VA (July 13, 2021) – Electrify America today announced its “Boost Plan” to more than double its current electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure in the United States and Canada, with plans to have more than 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 individual chargers installed by the end of 2025. The expansion will increase the deployment of 150 and 350 kilowatt chargers – the fastest speed available today – and help pave the way for more electric vehicles in North America.

The announcement today expands Electrify America’s previous commitment to invest $2 billion over 10 years in Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) infrastructure, education, and access in the U.S. In addition to adding to its existing network in the U.S., Electrify America will also expand its Electrify Canada charging network which began installations in 2019. Both initiatives are part of a global announcement today by the parent company Volkswagen Group to substantially increase public charging infrastructure in North America, Asia and Europe.

“We have decided to double our current charging infrastructure in North America over the next four years to help meet the need for the rapid growth expected of electric vehicles by virtually all the auto manufacturers, and to help make EV adoption more accessible and attractive than ever.” said Giovanni Palazzo, president and chief executive officer, Electrify America. “We are making this commitment to support the plans by major automakers and the U.S. and Canadian governments to help the transformation to an electric mobility transportation system.”
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Electrify America Announces its "Boost Plan" to More than Double its Current EV Charging Network by End of 2025

Expanding Current Ultra-Fast Charging Network in the U.S. and Canada to more than 1,800 charging
That's all very nice, but how about letting us know when will the stations they list as coming soon, will actually open. These sorts of hyperopic statements are really of no use for most of us.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier

Reston, VA (July 13, 2021) – Electrify America today announced its “Boost Plan” to more than double its current electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure in the United States and Canada, with plans to have more than 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 individual chargers installed by the end of 2025. The expansion will increase the deployment of 150 and 350 kilowatt chargers – the fastest speed available today – and help pave the way for more electric vehicles in North America.

The announcement today expands Electrify America’s previous commitment to invest $2 billion over 10 years in Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) infrastructure, education, and access in the U.S. In addition to adding to its existing network in the U.S., Electrify America will also expand its Electrify Canada charging network which began installations in 2019. Both initiatives are part of a global announcement today by the parent company Volkswagen Group to substantially increase public charging infrastructure in North America, Asia and Europe.

“We have decided to double our current charging infrastructure in North America over the next four years to help meet the need for the rapid growth expected of electric vehicles by virtually all the auto manufacturers, and to help make EV adoption more accessible and attractive than ever.” said Giovanni Palazzo, president and chief executive officer, Electrify America. “We are making this commitment to support the plans by major automakers and the U.S. and Canadian governments to help the transformation to an electric mobility transportation system.”
Yep, outstanding news! Looking at the map it seems like they’re doing a good job plugging existing holes.

agentorange

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Series
Occupation
ME
...declination of man.

Your welcome for my contributions, even though I didn't want to contribute.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
These sorts of hyperopic statements are really of no use for most of us.
It does give everyone the knowledge that EA will be doubling the number of EV chargers over the next two years, about the size and buildup of the Phase I and Phase II buildouts.

EA does list the criteria for deciding where it puts the chargers and they do welcome customer input if you have some local knowledge about a good place for an EA charger.

Sponsored

Mad Mac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Far Northwest Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Vehicles
98 Jeep Wrangler 09 Tacoma 02 Silverado 2500HD
Occupation
Rancher
It takes about three minutes to fill a gas tank.
Traveling across country, how often have you had to wait
for someone in front of you to gas up before you could gas up.

Level 2 charging takes about 30 minutes.
The worst thing that could happen is if everyone buys an EV.

We can only hope that restaurants and motels add charging stations
so they have a competitive edge to attract tourists.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It takes about three minutes to fill a gas tank.
Traveling across country, how often have you had to wait
for someone in front of you to gas up before you could gas up.

Level 2 charging takes about 30 minutes.
The worst thing that could happen is if everyone buys an EV.

We can only hope that restaurants and motels add charging stations
so they have a competitive edge to attract tourists.
I just got back from a road trip with the family in my 2016 XLT Screw. Last leg was over 800 miles from Tennessee to upstate NY which we did in 1 day. Left a little before 6am and got to our home a little before 9:30pm. ~13 hours of driving and ~2.5 hours of stops for Gas/bathrooms/food. I checked that same drive in ABetterRoutePlanner for an F150 Lightning extended range and the total time for the trip was between 13.25hours and 14.5 hours depending on the settings I used - so using an EV would add between nothing and 1 hour to our trip, provided we planned properly.

We also learned that ~10 hours is about our limit per day while driving. We were all getting a bit cranky on that last leg home! An extra hour of stops (or better yet splitting the drive into 2 days) would have been appreciated!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Not a perfect solution but EA has Idle Fee: Once charging stops, you pay $0.40/min after a 10-minute grace period. Most EA locations have 3 plugs, so what are the odds of running into 3 stiffs all at once who think that money is no object in pursuit of asshoiishness and have plenty of time?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Even Tesla prefers have experienced long lines waiting at Tesla supercharger locations.

It's certainly a concern but from what I have seen so far it's not a big concern I've been watching a lot of vlogs of ev road trips and for the most part they are the only person charging. Sometimes there's one other. Most of the electrify america locations have 6 or 8 connections. 3or 4 units with 2 cables each. There's typically one chademo so that wouldn't be usable.
I feel like the bigger concern in the short term is having a station out of service and not having another close by.
Now and for the next few years, road trips are going to need to have a little bit of planning to have backup plans.

Another option, depending on how often you drive this route is to just rent something for those trips. If it's once or twice a year, the money saved on gas with the lightning should cover it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Electrify America stations have between 4-10 chargers each. So far I have never had to wait to charge my Mustang Mach E. Additionally, the Ford Navigation software is linked to the charging stations in real time and can tell you the operational and in-use status of the chargers at each station.

Sponsored

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Electrify America stations have between 4-10 chargers each. So far I have never had to wait to charge my Mustang Mach E. Additionally, the Ford Navigation software is linked to the charging stations in real time and can tell you the operational and in-use status of the chargers at each station.
Considering only around 2% of all vehicles are EV that is not shocking. Once trucks come out do these EV stations allow you to pull up with a trailer? Do you have to unhook your trailer drive over the EV station hook up wait 45 minutes go back to your trailer and hook back up?

The government is trying to force manufactures to go all EV by 2025 or 2030 depending where you are. Will EV stations be able to keep up? Will the grid be able to keep up? Lots of unknowns in this rush to EVs.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Considering only around 2% of all vehicles are EV that is not shocking. Once trucks come out do these EV stations allow you to pull up with a trailer? Do you have to unhook your trailer drive over the EV station hook up wait 45 minutes go back to your trailer and hook back up?

The government is trying to force manufactures to go all EV by 2025 or 2030 depending where you are. Will EV stations be able to keep up? Will the grid be able to keep up? Lots of unknowns in this rush to EVs.
Electrify america opened their first location may 2018. So what you see currently was built in the last 3 years. They should certainly be able to double or more over the next 3 years. Then you have other networks as well including blink and evgo. Then you'll have individual locations installed that are not part of networks. I think they'll be able to keep up. It's going to take decades for all ice vehicles to be off the road and I have a feeling even if the government does mandate anything (which they probably won't) it will include hev and phev vehicles as well.

I know 7eleven is working on plans to start installing stations at their stores. I don't know if they'll be part of another network or if they'll be their own. From what I have seen of those, they look to be installing them where you could pull through.

As far as the grid being able to keep up. Over 80% of charging is going to be overnight at home. That is a time when there's excess capacity already.

Last edited:

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport

Some of the stations are pull through and some are nose in/back in. Depends on the particular location. You can research them on plugshare.com as they typically show pics of the location. In my experience some are not trailer friendly but you could make it work without unhooking

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Some of the stations are pull through and some are nose in/back in. Depends on the particular location. You can research them on plugshare.com as they typically show pics of the location. In my experience some are not trailer friendly but you could make it work without unhooking
Agreed. Very few if the ones I've seen are pull-through.

More are nose-in with chargers at the front of the vehicle. These are fairly trailer friendly as you can take either end and other BEVs can come and go without worrying about traffic direction.
Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Will Double Its EV Charging Network by 2025 IMG_6779

Unfortunately, I've seen even more of the new ones that are nose-in with the charger on the side, making charging with a trailer more of a challenge as it may be more of a challenge to pull in without blocking another charger. If you take the first charger you come to, other BEVs will have to drive in the wrong way to reach chargers. If you take the last one, you'll probably block another charger and force departing BEVs to exit the wrong way.
Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Will Double Its EV Charging Network by 2025 IMG_7701

In many cases a trailer left on the tow vehicle will block a lane of travel in a Walmart parking lot but there are plenty of other lanes to choose from.

Another good resource is to use the satellite view in Google Maps. That may show you the orientation of the chargers.
Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America Will Double Its EV Charging Network by 2025 Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 10.46.14 AM

The infrastructure bill has lots of money for funding EV chargers and the reconciliation bill has even more. I expect construction of chargers will more than keep up with numbers. Hopefully it will also focus chargers on locations that are currently hard to reach. The infrastructure bill has money for grid enhancement, too.
Sponsored