• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Emporia non-UL listed charger

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Does anybody have any insight on what was changed between the UL and non-UL listed chargers?

I drug my feet on ordering it on Amazon and it went up $100. I found the non-UL listed charger on their website on sale, but am kinda nervous about ordering it.

https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/products/smart-home-ev-charger
Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Does anybody have any insight on what was changed between the UL and non-UL listed chargers?
I suspect you'll have to ask them. My guess is that they made some tweaks to the design and haven't been able to run it through the test suite (either because of cost or time reasons).

If it's a direct descendent of its UL twin, it's likely to be okay. In a commercial environment, building codes generally require that products be UL or ETL compliant.

You might just drop them a request and ask?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I have the Emporia 48A L2 UL charger (paid $10 more) over the non UL.

According to the company, their first run was a non UL model and then they got the certification and are now selling them both.

Basically, it's the same unit - one has a UL and the other not.

Not much difference.

Love mine - works for 2 EV vehicles.
Ford F-150 Lightning Emporia non-UL listed charger IMG_9109.JPG

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
I have the non UL and its been perfect. Like metroshot said its exactly the same as the UL one but from an older batch.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Hi:

I have the non ul version, I'm sure no one could ID a difference. I asked this question when I was buying it before the UL came out. They designed it for UL, it just took a while to go through the process due to COVID-19, so they started selling it in advance

Their reply for what was changed for the UL version:

(03:42:57 PM) Alex: Sure. UL found in particular situations with excessive electro-magnetic interference (way outside of normal) we included a safety feature for the charger to be turned off but UL wanted the charger to keep operating in those scenarios to prevent customer frustration and the potential for electrocution if the customer decided to unplug or trip the breakers out of confusion. Very out there edge case and should almost never occur in residential situations.

I had no issues with this and kept the non UL version (as I needed a charger and it's the one I wanted).

Build quality is top notch , been using it hardwired for full power for the past 4 months. Only complaint is the thick charging cable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Some EVSE company said they delayed due to high cost to certify.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Hi:

I have the non ul version, I'm sure no one could ID a difference. I asked this question when I was buying it before the UL came out. They designed it for UL, it just took a while to go through the process due to COVID-19, so they started selling it in advance

Their reply for what was changed for the UL version:

(03:42:57 PM) Alex: Sure. UL found in particular situations with excessive electro-magnetic interference (way outside of normal) we included a safety feature for the charger to be turned off but UL wanted the charger to keep operating in those scenarios to prevent customer frustration and the potential for electrocution if the customer decided to unplug or trip the breakers out of confusion. Very out there edge case and should almost never occur in residential situations.

I had no issues with this and kept the non UL version (as I needed a charger and it's the one I wanted).

Build quality is top notch , been using it hardwired for full power for the past 4 months. Only complaint is the thick charging cable.
I’m very skeptical of that response. UL2594 does not include a test for EMI.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I’m very skeptical of that response. UL2594 does not include a test for EMI.
I see 4 references to electromagnetic interference in the specs. I'm not an expert though.... But the company is not some Chinese off brand knock off, so I have no reason to doubt them.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I see 4 references to electromagnetic interference in the specs. I'm not an expert though.... But the company is not some Chinese off brand knock off, so I have no reason to doubt them.
You‘re referring to the specs of the unit, not the UL spec, correct?

Everything I’ve heard about the Emporia product has been good, I’m not questioning that. Just thinking the person responding to inquiries might not be up to speed on technical topics.

Sponsored

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
I have two of them - both non-UL. Love the product - super reliable, app is bare-bones but works well (Ford could learn a thing or two!)

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

I agree the build quality is top notch, reliability has been excellent, and the fans inside keep it cool during heavy charging (11kW) inside a hot garage.

The J1772 cable is definitely thick and a bit unwieldy, but over 2 months of use has made the cable straighten out and easier to manage.

My wife's car is a short in the garage but my Lightning which charges outside, the entire cable has to unwind off the holder.

Notice how tight the coils are when first installed - now the cable has straightened out and only loops 2 times making it much easier to use.
Ford F-150 Lightning Emporia non-UL listed charger IMG_9107.JPG

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

I drug my feet on ordering it on Amazon and it went up $100. I found the non-UL listed charger on their website on sale, but am kinda nervous about ordering it.

https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/products/smart-home-ev-charger
I believe they are same except for the manuf date before the UL approved paperwork so reason don’t have the updated sticker. Read that somewhere in a faq or it was manufacturer response to question on Amazon. Here is a coupon for 5% DIYSOLAR I used for my new emporia backup charger arriving today!

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Well, Emporia sent me an email this morning. I had it in my cart and was completing the checkout when I realized it was the non-UL unit. They gave me a 5% off code to complete the sale. $375 for a 48 amp charger with great reviews is a steal. So I bought it.

PiMatrix

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The delivery truck just pulled up with the charger! I may put one inside garage and the backup outside. My guess is the 80A FCSP will not be the one going out in the hot sun but we'll see how the firmware updates go.

Note it is 48A (11.5 kW) if you hard wire the connection and 40 Amp (9.6 kW) if you use a 14-50P plug. The charger comes with 24" plug you can remove. The 48A requires a 60A circuit breaker and the 40A requires a 50A circuit breaker.

What I really find cool about this charger design is that in conjunction with their Emporia Vue, during grid down situation you can choose to automatically throttle the charger to a low current charge so as not to shutdown the solar due to high load or have to move the charger to a non-critical loads panel.

Going to get the box... :)
Sponsored

Last edited: