• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

They're starting in Sacramento, CA, and taking a fairy from Washington state to AK. They're using a Powerboost F150 as a backup vehicle but it sounds like they're going to try to do it all on grid power.

The video begins with a discussion about charging at a campground. They also have some efficiency testing with aftermarket AT tires at time stamp 7:30, some info about a pop-up bed camper they're adding to the F150L at 14:00 and discussion about charging the F150L from the Powerboost at 18:00.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
this is pointing out the various adapters one might want to have if you are contemplating a lot of 'long range' journeys with your Lightning - even if you 'plan' and think you know where all the charging stops might be along the way, weather, traffic, and other unforeseen problems can take you off track, meaning you may have to improvise and make do with 'less than' DC Fast Chargers, or even 50amp outlets at a campground...

but, for everyday driving, no, most of this will never come into play, but, being prepared just in case is never a bad thing...

campgrounds are the answer - you overnight there, you charge there, everything works well in that situation - you are already going to be there for many hours anyway.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I think having the hybrid as a back up was a great idea! I stopped by Four Wheel Campers on my way to the Bend, Oregon Overland Expo on Thursday and saw their Lightning there. It was my first time seeing a Lightning and definitely got the bug again and very hard to wait being so much closer to getting it, since ordering in February. I got to see the Scout campers (1100 lbs) at the Expo and decided to pull the trigger on one.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I think having the hybrid as a back up was a great idea! I stopped by Four Wheel Campers on my way to the Bend, Oregon Overland Expo on Thursday and saw their Lightning there. It was my first time seeing a Lightning and definitely got the bug again and very hard to wait being so much closer to getting it, since ordering in February. I got to see the Scout campers (1100 lbs) at the Expo and decided to pull the trigger on one.
Just spent a little over half a day at the Expo…I was surprised how little of a footprint Ford had there…just the Broncos🤔. GMC had a nice display, including their EV Hummer.…even saw a Rivan…….

That show had way too many toys🤯…my mind went into overload !

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Just spent a little over half a day at the Expo…I was surprised how little of a footprint Ford had there…just the Broncos🤔. GMC had a nice display, including their EV Hummer.…even saw a Rivan…….

That show had way too many toys🤯…my mind went into overload !
My first Expo and only had half a day also! Way too much to look at. I’m hoping I will be back there next year in my Lightning camper setup😀 camping.

You confirmed that Ford Lightning was not there. I thought maybe I missed one. I saw what you saw for EV trucks.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
My first Expo and only had half a day also! Way too much to look at. I’m hoping I will be back there next year in my Lightning camper setup😀 camping.

You confirmed that Ford Lightning was not there. I thought maybe I missed one. I saw what you saw for EV trucks.
Yeah, I thought it was a missed opportunity…maybe next year. Did you decide on a camper configuration?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Yeah, I thought it was a missed opportunity…maybe next year. Did you decide on a camper configuration?
My father extended his order to 2023 and we are going halfers on this setup. He’s going to try to get the Pro and I ordered Lariat ER. They told me 10 months to receive the camper. I grew up with a camper as a kid and really looking forward to this lightweight hard shell. We’re going to figure out a mod for air conditioner.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ep 1: TFL Northern Lightning Trip From Sacramento, CA to Deadhorse, AK 03330E30-0029-4161-AB99-F7AA940DB9C6

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
My father extended his order to 2023 and we are going halfers on this setup. He’s going to try to get the Pro and I ordered Lariat ER. They told me 10 months to receive the camper. I grew up with a camper as a kid and really looking forward to this lightweight hard shell. We’re going to figure out a mod for air conditioner.
03330E30-0029-4161-AB99-F7AA940DB9C6.png
You could consider something like the EcoFlow Wave. It's not cheap, but is specifically designed for camping :

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
this is pointing out the various adapters one might want to have if you are contemplating a lot of 'long range' journeys with your Lightning - even if you 'plan' and think you know where all the charging stops might be along the way, weather, traffic, and other unforeseen problems can take you off track, meaning you may have to improvise and make do with 'less than' DC Fast Chargers, or even 50amp outlets at a campground...

but, for everyday driving, no, most of this will never come into play, but, being prepared just in case is never a bad thing...

campgrounds are the answer - you overnight there, you charge there, everything works well in that situation - you are already going to be there for many hours anyway.
I wonder if they bypassed Canada by using the ferry as I know driving thru Canada prohibits self protection devices ?

If the ferry starts in WA and ends in AK, that should prevent having to provide a passport and subject to inspection ?

I like that!

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
The ferry ends in Haines AK, but you have to leave AK and drive thru Canada to get to the Alaska border and the highway to Fairbanks.
Likely they took the ferry due to the charging black hole for almost 600 miles thru northern British Columbia.

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
The ferry ends in Haines AK, but you have to leave AK and drive thru Canada to get to the Alaska border and the highway to Fairbanks.
Likely they took the ferry due to the charging black hole for almost 600 miles thru northern British Columbia.
Yeah, that 766km stretch from New Hazelton to the Baby Nugget RV Park in the Yukon would be nasty, and even then, you arrive at a L1.

https://goo.gl/maps/yhyCEsiYdLoWqZmx9

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
That camper is going to destroy their efficiency as it looks like a giant air brake.

I'm curious why they tested the efficiency between the the OEM tires vs the all terrain tires but not with the camper on the truck. Maybe that will be another episode?

Sad to see that they aren't going through Canada but it makes sense if time is limited I guess.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Are they still charging the lightning from the powerboost so they can start their journey? /s

Figured we'd see another video by now.
Sponsored