• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Estimated range of a SR battery truck @ 65 or 60 MPH?

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’ve seen the test of the PRO SR making it 213 miles 100%-0% battery @ 70 MPH in moderate weather, not much elevation change, and no battery degradation. I haven’t found much concrete information on the range or efficiency at a flat 65 MPH or 60 MPH in favorable weather.

I live in SW Missouri where there are almost no DCFC once you leave the I44 corridor. I’m trying to estimate where I would be able to take the truck should I get the opportunity to buy a SR PRO. Fortunately, most of our highways are between 60 and 65 MPH speed limits.

Also, what number is everyone using for Wh/mi @65 in A Better Route Planner? It defaults to 596 when I select a SR PRO to play around with which seems pretty poor given people are reporting 2.1-2.2 @ 70. If I did my math right, 596 Wh/mi would be 1.67 Kw/m.
Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I’ve seen the test of the PRO SR making it 213 miles 100%-0% battery @ 70 MPH in moderate weather, not much elevation change, and no battery degradation. I haven’t found much concrete information on the range or efficiency at a flat 65 MPH or 60 MPH in favorable weather.

I live in SW Missouri where there are almost no DCFC once you leave the I44 corridor. I’m trying to estimate where I would be able to take the truck should I get the opportunity to buy a SR PRO. Fortunately, most of our highways are between 60 and 65 MPH speed limits.

Also, what number is everyone using for Wh/mi @65 in A Better Route Planner? It defaults to 596 when I select a SR PRO to play around with which seems pretty poor given people are reporting 2.1-2.2 @ 70. If I did my math right, 596 Wh/mi would be 1.67 Kw/m.
FWIW, I’m using an OBD dongle to feed info to ABRP. My even mix of 69 MPH (BlueCruise, 1-pedal) highway driving, combined with my City and country road drives (~4 mph over SL, 1-pedal, not towing), has currently calibrated my Lariat ER Lightning’s KWh use as 2.03 mi/kWh (492 Wh/mi) @ 65 mph with an 80% confidence rating.

I have an upcoming 500+ mi road trip coming up and will be using those figures for my trip planning……

Last edited:

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Didn't they just up the range a bit?

I find that wind has a rather large impact on my Bolt EV going to coast. Running with wind nets me more even uphill a bit.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree. I made a mostly flat, ~60 mi @ 69 mph freeway trip 2 weeks ago and go 2.4 mi/KWh on the first leg with the wind at my back…the return trip 3 hrs later was 1.9.

Last week I made the same trip and got 1.8 mi./KWh on that first leg into a head wind, and 2.4 on the return that same day.

EV driving is sorta like shooting targets with a rifle long distance….windage and elevation are key…….

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

Your range will really start to hurt in the colder months so be aware of that with ALL EVs.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Unless you have chargers every 50 feet, going close to zero is kinda spooky.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I've been letting ABRP calibrate for around 1500 miles so far. It has my Lariat ER at 415wh/mi with this level of confidence:

Ford F-150 Lightning Estimated range of a SR battery truck @ 65 or 60 MPH? 1660696686755

For reference I am pretty good about not using the friction brakes at all, and I drive in 1 pedal mode exclusively. I really only hit the brakes in an emergency. I also use cruise a fair amount, and my drive mode is set to sport almost 100% of the time. Tire pressure is 42 all around, and I haven't hauled much more than luggage.

I would budget for 60-70% of ideal in the dead of winter. That includes 5% battery degradation after a few years. It's likely the truck can do better than that (it's really super efficient for what it is) but none of us have really seen what kind of penalty you get in the cold yet.

LightningJoe

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT | 2018 Tesla Model 3
I’ve taken a couple of trips in my XLT SR going between 70-75 and have seen 1.6-1.8. The truck is just so fun to accelerate in that my efficiency has been crap.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I've been letting ABRP calibrate for around 1500 miles so far. It has my Lariat ER at 415wh/mi with this level of confidence:

1660696686755.png

For reference I am pretty good about not using the friction brakes at all, and I drive in 1 pedal mode exclusively. I really only hit the brakes in an emergency. I also use cruise a fair amount, and my drive mode is set to sport almost 100% of the time. Tire pressure is 42 all around, and I haven't hauled much more than luggage.

I would budget for 60-70% of ideal in the dead of winter. That includes 5% battery degradation after a few years. It's likely the truck can do better than that (it's really super efficient for what it is) but none of us have really seen what kind of penalty you get in the cold yet.
Are you suggesting one pedal mode as the most mi/kWh efficient? I hope you will experiment with it off and coasting more.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rando

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Your range will really start to hurt in the colder months so be aware of that with ALL EVs.
Oh definitely. I wouldn’t make any range stretching trips away from home base in the cold for sure. Fortunately, we have a gas CUV still for that.

I’ve been researching EVs and things that affect range and battery longevity since the Lightning was announced and I put my reservation in. So, I’m aware of some of the nuances. There just haven’t been many tests on the Lightning at lower highway speeds. Everyone seems fixated on the higher 70-80 mph interstate speeds in the early reviews.

I’m just trying to gauge how limiting the SR is in ideal weather for the occasional adventure into the sticks to see friends and family and whatnot that are scattered about.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

1660696686755.png

2.41 KWh/mi……not too bad…….

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Oh definitely. I wouldn’t make any range stretching trips away from home base in the cold for sure. Fortunately, we have a gas CUV still for that.

I’ve been researching EVs and things that affect range and battery longevity since the Lightning was announced and I put my reservation in. So, I’m aware of some of the nuances. There just haven’t been many tests on the Lightning at lower highway speeds. Everyone seems fixated on the higher 70-80 mph interstate speeds in the early reviews.

I’m just trying to gauge how limiting the SR is in ideal weather for the occasional adventure into the sticks to see friends and family and whatnot that are scattered about.
So glad that you have done your homework on cold temperature effects on EVs.

Driving style has such a huge impact on range that most people don't realize that an EV is not an ICE.

I am a forum moderator / admin on a Honda EV/PHEV/FCV message site and every fall thru early spring, many start complaining about range so I am used to the "cycle" of: defects, warranties, dealer visits, and threats to sue the manufacturer.

I am very fortunate to live in a warm weather part of the country as @bryan995 pointed out that the lowest temps we get are low 60 degrees in the December/January with clear sunny skies.
Sponsored