• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EVSE Credit in IRA?

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I can't seem to find any mention of a tax credit for EVSE installs in the new IRA law just passed. DOes nayone know if it was included?
Sponsored

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
It looks like it is included, but there is some language potentially restricts it to non-urban and low income areas, can't tell if that actually applies to residential installs though.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think that the language is alluding to COMMERCIAL charging infrastructure, in order to give APARTMENT and Multi-family dwelling owners the impetus to spend money to install and provide charging options, probably Level 2 in parking lots/spaces, as needed. Of course, these would probably not be an EVSE like we have at home, since they would need to be able to monitor the charging cost and pass that on to the resident, etc.

As with Georgia Power here, though, check with your utility provider, they may have their own REBATE or type of cost reduction, or even a special EV CHARGING plan. I just switched to the EV plan where overnight charging will be at 1.5cents per/kwh. They also give me a $250 REBATE cost offset for the purchase/install of my EVSE, which was exactly $250, nice.

jdarmstrong

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F150 4.6L V8 FX2, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Senior Systems Administrator
I don’t recall seeing anything specific to EVSE installs. The previous credit expired 12/31/21. There is language in the IRA that calls out credit for service upgrades and electrical wiring, but not specific to EVSE.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think that the language is alluding to COMMERCIAL charging infrastructure, in order to give APARTMENT and Multi-family dwelling owners the impetus to spend money to install and provide charging options, probably Level 2 in parking lots/spaces, as needed. Of course, these would probably not be an EVSE like we have at home, since they would need to be able to monitor the charging cost and pass that on to the resident, etc.

As with Georgia Power here, though, check with your utility provider, they may have their own REBATE or type of cost reduction, or even a special EV CHARGING plan. I just switched to the EV plan where overnight charging will be at 1.5cents per/kwh. They also give me a $250 REBATE cost offset for the purchase/install of my EVSE, which was exactly $250, nice.
That is such a great rate. For us, the time of use plan makes no sense. The off peak (11pm to 7am) is only ~1 cent cheaper and the on peak and super peak rates are higher. Even if we did all of our EV charging off peak, our bill would go us with a time of use plan. Look at SC1 and SC1 VTOU.

https://www.nationalgridus.com/medi...y/average_prices_ending_june_30_2022-elec.pdf

Note: This is just supply rates. Delivery is about the same on top of this.

Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
That is such a great rate. For us, the time of use plan makes no sense. The off peak (11pm to 7am) is only ~1 cent cheaper and the on peak and super peak rates are higher. Even if we did all of our EV charging off peak, our bill would go us with a time of use plan. Look at SC1 and SC1 VTOU.

https://www.nationalgridus.com/medi...y/average_prices_ending_june_30_2022-elec.pdf

Note: This is just supply rates. Delivery is about the same on top of this.
The VTOU plan actually does come with a guarantee that if you pay more with it, you will get the difference as a credit for the first year. It makes sense for us in Albany with Solar. Since you would be selling solar back to the grid 1:1 during Peak and Super Peak but use a lot of energy from the grid( for EV charging) during off peak.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The VTOU plan actually does come with a guarantee that if you pay more with it, you will get the difference as a credit for the first year. It makes sense for us in Albany with Solar. Since you would be selling solar back to the grid 1:1 during Peak and Super Peak but use a lot of energy from the grid( for EV charging) during off peak.
I could see that making sense if we had more solar - we could only fit a 2kW system on our roof which doesn't even cover our usage without EV charging.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I could see that making sense if we had more solar - we could only fit a 2kW system on our roof which doesn't even cover our usage without EV charging.
We were able to max out our South facing roof to give 10kw total but we mostly did that because we have 2 EVs. I would love to add more but it would all be North Facing. We did get some very good incentives to get Solar though, NYSERDA, State Tax credit and now Fed was boosted to 30%.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
We were able to max out our South facing roof to give 10kw total but we mostly did that because we have 2 EVs. I would love to add more but it would all be North Facing. We did get some very good incentives to get Solar though, NYSERDA, State Tax credit and now Fed was boosted to 30%.
Yeah, we only have (mostly) East and West facing roofs. Our house is also ~120 years old. The older roof can't support any panels (too much weight, it is framed with 2"x4"s). We put an addition on ~14 years ago and I have panels on as much of that as has sun exposure. Would love to have more.

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
My conduit was $200, which is the utilty rebate for me once I send a photo of the car connected to the EVSE on the house! Tools $500, wire $200, breaker and other parts $100, and EVSE $700. This was the "cheap" 50A backup until I get and install FCSP...

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Dang it! I just installed a new heat pump and heat pump water heater. Dang it! Could have had them free.

My TOU rate is fantastic so I run as much as I can at night. Washer, hot tub and EV all buying cheap power.
The City of Austin has maybe the best plan on earth. Unlimited EV charging $4.17 a month. And you can charge at any of their L2 chargers for free with plan.

The problem is that many power companies really don't create power. They just buy it. They are still on 1970's computers and have no smart tech on lines to help manage.

Last edited:

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Do you use National grid? Do they track your solar net metering based on time? Or is it one 'bank'? I could see it being highly advantageous if they credit you with peak or superpeak net metering, but not nearly as beneficial if not particularly in winter time.

By off chance, have you also switched the supplier to one of the solar farms? I see nexamp advertising a lot for 10% off (supply rates I assume, so really only like 5% off the total electric bill).

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you use National grid? Do they track your solar net metering based on time? Or is it one 'bank'? I could see it being highly advantageous if they credit you with peak or superpeak net metering, but not nearly as beneficial if not particularly in winter time.

By off chance, have you also switched the supplier to one of the solar farms? I see nexamp advertising a lot for 10% off (supply rates I assume, so really only like 5% off the total electric bill).

Yup. It’s full 1:1. So if energy is sold at super peak, you get paid super peak prices. Luckily for winter we have a gas furnace so our electric costs are relatively low and taken care of whatever we have banked and little solar production we have.

I did check those farms and used to be part of Arcadia before we got solar. From what they told me, they don’t seem to support National Grid if you have net metering. This was with Arcadia but I haven’t checked Nexamp figuring it was the same.
Sponsored