• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Extended Range Battery on Lariat Trim/Which Trim to Buy

MdnewF150

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Any word on if the extended range battery will cost 7k on the Lariat trim?

BTW, which trim is everyone plan on getting?
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
There is no official pricing yet. Ford released a survey to get opinions on proposed (and likely) prices but it’s not official until Ford says it is.

I’ve been considering a Lariat with the extended range battery. But the biggest differentiator between that and an XLT, with the bigger battery, is the 15” infotainment screen. Frankly, that and the other Lariat features are not enough to justify the nearly $9000 price difference between the XLT Premium and the basic Lariat. Including Blue Cruise with the basic Lariat would be a huge differentiator.

So, due to lack of differentiating features, I’m leaning towards an XLT Premium. I like leather, I’d get Katzkin leather seat covers. Frankly Katzkin leather is better than the leather that Ford is offering in the Lariat. All of this is, of course, subject to change.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I'm leaning towards XLT or XLT Premium. On a 2019 I would consider a Lariat to get some of the tech features, but I don't really care for leather, I prefer cloth. But since most of the techy stuff is standard on the Lightning and the rest of what interests me can be had with an XLT, that's where I'll land. I want the work sorface (which I think will be great to have if ever charging away from home), cloth seats, tow tech, max tow, Lane keep assist, bed lightning, and the light bar in front helps sweeten the deal.

I like the wheels on the XLT Premium but I have a hard time paying extra just for visuals. Like the light bar on the Lariat tailgate - that's awesome. But the price is just crazy high, so I guess I can go without. We've been buying $15-20k used vehicles for our whole lives and this will be the single biggest purchase we've ever made aside from the house.

Leaning towards extended range battery for a bunch of reasons:
1. Less range anxiety / fewer top-ups while away from home
2. More power (insert Tim Taylor joke here)
3. Potential tow vehicle
4. Upgraded cooling (seems this is a max tow feature tho, and I'm unclear whether it would be available on the SR battery or not)
5. Better resale value in the future.
6. Still have more capacity at old age after degradation.

Last edited:

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I need a nice stereo in my car due to the length of my commute. As I understand it, the lowest trim available with the B&O stereo is the Lariat. I would get an XLT and put aftermarket speakers in there, but I am going to lease (or whatever Ford options is called) so I can't really do any aftermarket. So, I guess I am looking at a Lariat, but they are so expensive.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Looking at the XLT for the cloth seats - can't do Lariat or Platinum - leather seating surfaces burns my legs, butt and back.

Haven't decided SR or ER battery...

Wish Pro trim would offer cloth seats as an option - I'd jump on that!

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm going Lariat ER for the factory leather and memory seats. Aftermarket leather may be better material, but nothing beats the ventilated leather seats. And the wife is about a foot shorter, so the memory features are a must.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
There is no official pricing yet. Ford released a survey to get opinions on proposed (and likely) prices but it’s not official until Ford says it is.

I’ve been considering a Lariat with the extended range battery. But the biggest differentiator between that and an XLT, with the bigger battery, is the 15” infotainment screen. Frankly, that and the other Lariat features are not enough to justify the nearly $9000 price difference between the XLT Premium and the basic Lariat. Including Blue Cruise with the basic Lariat would be a huge differentiator.
Same here, I wasn't seeing enough in the Lariat package to justify the price difference. Maybe the survey will show Ford the same and they'll improve the Lariat package.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Same here, I wasn't seeing enough in the Lariat package to justify the price difference. Maybe the survey will show Ford the same and they'll improve the Lariat package.
Yea, I‘m thinking they need to make Blue Cruise standard on the Lariat or at least the Tow Tech pkg with Max Towing. Then I think it’ll be worth considering.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Yea, I‘m thinking they need to make Blue Cruise standard on the Lariat or at least the Tow Tech pkg with Max Towing. Then I think it’ll be worth considering.

Hopefully they don't do the opposite and take stuff away from the XLT to make the Lariat look better. :)

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
I was planning on getting the Lariat +. For the extra $1,680, the extra features you get over the standard Lariat was well worth it in my opinion. Originally I was pretty set on getting leather seats and the 15.5" screen with an ER battery. This put me into a Lariat if Ford's survey doesn't vary from the actual offering. I was also excited about the Blue Cruise hands free option.

However, based on the survey's pricing, the Lariat + is more than double the price of the Pro. I had to ask myself if the Lariat + is worth two SR Pros? I know I won't get the ER battery, the 15.5" screen or the leather, but I am currently thinking I will just stick with the Pro and make sure I like the Lightning. When the 2nd generation Lightning comes out in 2025 I will upgrade. Like someone said above, I normally buy 3 - 5 year old used cars. This is the most expensive purchase I have made since buying my house. I figure I better make sure I love it before buying something that is more than $80k after adding the Max Tow package.

But to answer your question, if you are doing the Lariat, it appears the Lariat + is the best value. The big differences between the XLT and the Lariat in my opinion is the 15.5" screen, leather ventilated seats and the ability to have Blue Cruise. (I know there are more, but these are the ones that mattered to me.)

Sponsored

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
I need a nice stereo in my car due to the length of my commute. As I understand it, the lowest trim available with the B&O stereo is the Lariat. I would get an XLT and put aftermarket speakers in there, but I am going to lease (or whatever Ford options is called) so I can't really do any aftermarket. So, I guess I am looking at a Lariat, but they are so expensive.
Agreed on the stereo. I will probably get aftermarket. Wonder how much it would cost to get a premium system aftermarket??

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Agreed on the stereo. I will probably get aftermarket. Wonder how much it would cost to get a premium system aftermarket??
As I understand it, with an EV with a touchscreen like this, you can’t really replace the stereo. You can only upgrade the speakers.

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
As I understand it, with an EV with a touchscreen like this, you can’t really replace the stereo. You can only upgrade the speakers.
Yeah makes sense. Just hoping its not crazy difficult/expensive to upgrade the speakers and possibly add a sub.

OP
OP

MdnewF150

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm leaning towards XLT or XLT Premium. On a 2019 I would consider a Lariat to get some of the tech features, but I don't really care for leather, I prefer cloth. But since most of the techy stuff is standard on the Lightning and the rest of what interests me can be had with an XLT, that's where I'll land. I want the work sorface (which I think will be great to have if ever charging away from home), cloth seats, tow tech, max tow, Lane keep assist, bed lightning, and the light bar in front helps sweeten the deal.

I like the wheels on the XLT Premium but I have a hard time paying extra just for visuals. Like the light bar on the Lariat tailgate - that's awesome. But the price is just crazy high, so I guess I can go without. We've been buying $15-20k used vehicles for our whole lives and this will be the single biggest purchase we've ever made aside from the house.

Leaning towards extended range battery for a bunch of reasons:
1. Less range anxiety / fewer top-ups while away from home
2. More power (insert Tim Taylor joke here)
3. Potential tow vehicle
4. Upgraded cooling (seems this is a max tow feature tho, and I'm unclear whether it would be available on the SR battery or not)
5. Better resale value in the future.
6. Still have more capacity at old age after degradation.
I was also interested in the ER due to resale value, I mostly WFH so I am not worried about the range for most days.