• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
270 Miles @ 2.1 mi/kwh. Which is slightly less than EPA "Highway" range, but a good number considering EPA test is at slower speeds.

This is less than he/some others predicted based on the media event had, some where saying around 2.2-2.4 @ 70mph.

But, range is finicky any you could get less or even a little more going the same speeds.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I liked it that he was able to run it down to 2 miles remaining before getting to a recharge station.

Good data showing high speeds are detrimental to EV range.

I'll be hypermiling mine to go over 100% EPA range.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I wish this was a 75mph test, as that's more reasonable based on most highway speed limits being 65mph or 75mph.

My dumb math indicates a SR should get about 175 miles at 85% charge, assuming the same efficiency. That should mean I can go an hour away and make the round trip without having battery depletion fears. I do wonder what cold weather will do to range when it's below freezing, but this is mostly expected news.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
I wish this was a 75mph test, as that's more reasonable based on most highway speed limits being 65mph or 75mph.

My dumb math indicates a SR should get about 175 miles at 85% charge, assuming the same efficiency. That should mean I can go an hour away and make the round trip without having battery depletion fears. I do wonder what cold weather will do to range when it's below freezing, but this is mostly expected news.

I think a constant 70mph is a good standard test for highway range.

Why?

Even if I try to drive 75-80mph on the freeway, I don't drive that fast for most of the trip. Here's a road trip I did that I logged w/ ABRP... It was ~90 miles and while on the freeway I tried to go 75-80:

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning 70 MPH Range Test by Tom Moloughney = 270 Miles @ 2.1 mi/kwh 1657734268131

This was with my Ioniq 5 and I got 3.6 mil/kwh for the above trip.

I don't stay at 75-80 because of traffic here and there. And unless you manage to do a road trip that is just 99% freeway then you're gaining efficiency outside of the freeway and you're average speed drops... The above average speed was 64mph. Average highway speed was 72 mph.

Your conditions may vary, I'm talking about driving in California where there's always a slowdown somewhere.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
@tommolog, it's not a real range test if you didn't need to push the truck to the charger. Ask @OutofSpecKyle :LOL:

Out of Spec got 260 miles (edit: 260 miles, not 160 miles) in their Platinum range test, although they completely depleted the buffer and it's hard to directly compare two tests that were done under inherently different ambient conditions.

Last edited:

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I think a constant 70mph is a good standard test for highway range.

Why?

Even if I try to drive 75-80mph on the freeway, I don't drive that fast for most of the trip. Here's a road trip I did that I logged w/ ABRP... It was ~90 miles and while on the freeway I tried to go 75-80:

1657734268131.png

This was with my Ioniq 5 and I got 3.6 mil/kwh for the above trip.

I don't stay at 75-80 because of traffic here and there. And unless you manage to do a road trip that is just 99% freeway then you're gaining efficiency outside of the freeway and you're average speed drops... The above average speed was 64mph. Average highway speed was 72 mph.

Your conditions may vary, I'm talking about driving in California where there's always a slowdown somewhere.
Curious, is that an estimated SoC or are you tapping your car’s data? If you’re tapped in, what device are you using ? I want to tap into mine to get the same data….😎

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
@tommolog, it's not a real range test if you didn't need to push the truck to the charger. Ask @OutofSpecKyle :LOL:

Out of Spec got 160 miles in their Platinum range test, although they completely depleted the buffer and it's hard to directly compare two tests that were done under inherently different ambient conditions.

For context Kyle went 10mi AFTER the range meter went to 0mi. @tommolog still had 2mi to go when he stopped so the no kidding range stop would probably be ~280mi.

Not that I would ever take it that far to the edge, its nice that Ford has a little safety buffer in there.

Also... would not be surprised if Ford offered just a little bit more range with an OTA update. Thats what happened with the MME when they became more comfortable with the battery reliability in real world use.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Curious, is that an estimated SoC or are you tapping your car’s data? If you’re tapped in, what device are you using ? I want to tap into mine to get the same data….😎
Not estimated, pulling from car data.

Setup was:

ABRP (Paid version, was on free trial). You can export data from a trip, records a value every 5 seconds (speed, elevation, power, SoC, lat/long).
Bluetooth ODB - Exact one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NFLL3NT

I analyzed a few trips just to get a sense of real word range for a road trip.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber

Setup was:

ABRP (Paid version, was on free trial). You can export data from a trip, records a value every 5 seconds (speed, elevation, power, SoC, lat/long).

Did you have trouble linking the OBD2 in ABRP? I cannot get mine to link even though it's an approved adapter.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumber
Also... would not be surprised if Ford offered just a little bit more range with an OTA update. Thats what happened with the MME when they became more comfortable with the battery reliability in real world use.
This will be moot when they activate the range extender port that's hidden behind the bulkhead in the bed. :LOL:

Last edited:

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
This will be moot when they announce the range when they activate the range extender port that's hidden behind the bulkhead in the bed. :LOL:
TBH if this thing had a range extender that could say double the range that would cover almost all f150 uses including towing long distance. I consider myself to be road warrior and would be hard pressed to go more than 750mi in a day unloaded..probably closer to 500mi max with atrailer of any size.

PopsGG

First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I am finding I don't mind going slow (60-65) and following close behind 18 wheelers with Blue Cruise on. It really helps increase the efficiency.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

Setup was:

That's a cool setup!

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Did you have trouble linking the OBD2 in ABRP? I cannot get mine to link even though it's an approved adapter.
No issues. I was surprised that it connected immediately.

Using Andriod Phone.
Sponsored