• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
For context Kyle went 10mi AFTER the range meter went to 0mi. @tommolog still had 2mi to go when he stopped so the no kidding range stop would probably be ~280mi.

Not that I would ever take it that far to the edge, its nice that Ford has a little safety buffer in there.

Also... would not be surprised if Ford offered just a little bit more range with an OTA update. Thats what happened with the MME when they became more comfortable with the battery reliability in real world use.
But understand, Kyle pulled off the highway at 250 miles. I drove at 70 mph for 268+ miles. For me, the range test pretty much ends when I can no longer drive at 70 mph (it's a 70 mph range test!). Kyle's final 10-15 miles were done off the highway at lower speeds, and he explains that.

I am certain that I couldn't have driven 10 more miles at 70 mph. So no, it wouldn't have been 280 miles, probably 275 as I explain at the very end of the video. :)
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
But understand, Kyle pulled off the highway at 250 miles. I drove at 70 mph for 268+ miles. For me, the range test pretty much ends when I can no longer drive at 70 mph (it's a 70 mph range test!). Kyle's final 10-15 miles were done off the highway at lower speeds, and he explains that.

I am certain that I couldn't have driven 10 more miles at 70 mph. So no, it wouldn't have been 280 miles, probably 275 as I explain at the very end of the video. :)

Very true and I'm not criticizing...love your range tests. I'm not suggesting you repeat Kyle's method of running it completely dry.

I do feel fairly confident that you could drive it pretty darn close to zero on the display and be OK....unlike the Bolt which ran out right at 0 and the polestar which severely limits power below 5%.

It seemed like you had full power almost until the end. How did it behave when you got really close to zero...any power loss?

I've owned many Ford's over the years..they do play it conservative which is in line with the Mach E.

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
Very true and I'm not criticizing...love your range tests. I'm not suggesting you repeat Kyle's method of running it completely dry.

I do feel fairly confident that you could drive it pretty darn close to zero on the display and be OK....unlike the Bolt which ran out right at 0 and the polestar which severely limits power below 5%.

It seemed like you had full power almost until the end. How did it behave when you got really close to zero...any power loss?

I've owned many Ford's over the years..they do play it conservative which is in line with the Mach E.
I didn't think you were being critical :)
Yes, there is definitely feel the reduced power once you get under 5%, maybe even a little earlier. I got off the highway right as the SOC hit 0% and drove about 1.5 miles to the EA station at lower speeds.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Great video and test. As I was expecting, we get about an extra 30 to 40 minutes of highway driving vs. our Mach-e GT.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
@tommolog

While we have you, in one of your charge videos can you give 5 minutes on the Standard range charging and share that theoretical charge curve that I think Ford shared with you at one point :)

Also, if you can squeeze out of Ford why the the max charge on Standard range is lower than Extended, I would love to know that as well :)

Sponsored

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
@tommolog

While we have you, in one of your charge videos can you give 5 minutes on the Standard range charging and share that theoretical charge curve that I think Ford shared with you at one point :)

Also, if you can squeeze out of Ford why the the max charge on Standard range is lower than Extended, I would love to know that as well :)
I've arranged a loan of a SR Lightning. I'll be doing that recording and analysis soon

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
@tommolog

If I remember correctly it's because the ER battery can take higher power levels without encountering heat issues; bigger battery, bigger heat sink.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
@tommolog , I too really appreciate your work and the info you share with the community.

This forum has been slowly filling up with FCSP use issues now that more owners are Putting them to use. The conversations that concern me the most are potential charging issues that are being hypothetically tied to higher ambient home garage temps (e.g. 95-115) that are now becoming the unfortunate summer norm in many places.

Do you or those in your circle have any thoughts on these concerns?

I’m looking forward to you future vidoes and data!

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
If I remember correctly it's because the ER battery can take higher power levels without encountering heat issues; bigger battery, bigger heat sink.

Heat sink wouldn't be a difference between the two..

The standard and extended batteries are in the same enclosure (seen below). Just in the standard, that bump out on top isn't filled with anything. If anything, the standard would have better cooling given less heat caused by the additional batteries :)

Plus if you order Max towing, you have an additional cooling pump that can address heat.

Trying to figure out if Ford gimped it due to some part of the physical build process... or if it's just being extra conservative and software limiting it. Then, can update that curve notably like VW did.

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning 70 MPH Range Test by Tom Moloughney = 270 Miles @ 2.1 mi/kwh 1657742016747

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
Heat sink wouldn't be a difference between the two..

The standard and extended batteries are in the same enclosure (seen below). Just in the standard, that bump out on top isn't filled with anything. If anything, the standard would have better cooling given less heat caused by the additional batteries :)

Plus if you order Max towing, you have an additional cooling pump that can address heat.

Trying to figure out if Ford gimped it due to some part of the physical build process... or if it's just being extra conservative and software limiting it. Then, can update that curve notably like VW did.

1657742016747.png
Sorry, I meant that the battery effectively acts as a larger heat sink. You can push more power into the bigger battery before it starts overheating. Smaller battery heats quicker.

I agree with you, I expect those with Max tow in ER and SR will someday get an improved charge curve, if heat is the limiting factor.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
@tommolog

I feel like a good OTA update would be for Ford to increase the precision of miles/kWh value to hundredths position. It makes a difference since the battery is so big - not knowing if/how they are rounding, there is a good 5-10 miles of uncertainty locked up there for people who want to base future range on experienced mi/kWh knowing coming real world conditions, versus the GOM miles estimate.

Agree?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
@tommolog

Do you plan to to a video on the 80a charger, separate from the home integration? Would love to see you compare it to a ChargePoint Flex or Juicebox with regards to cord, plug and overall quality.

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
@tommolog

Do you plan to to a video on the 80a charger, separate from the home integration? Would love to see you compare it to a ChargePoint Flex or Juicebox with regards to cord, plug and overall quality.
Yeah, I'll do that for sure

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So with the ER battery, the Lightning gets the same highway range as my Mach-E ER AWD, but uses 45% more energy.

I may hold off ordering they add another 100 miles to range.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So with the ER battery, the Lightning gets the same highway range as my Mach-E ER AWD, but uses 45% more energy.

I may hold off ordering they add another 100 miles to range.
You must get much better efficiency than we get in our GT. The Lightning will have 30 to 40 more miles. We only get about 220 - 230 on the highway.
Sponsored