• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I am sorry, but everyone in this thread is clearly in the wrong. Ford missed the boat completely. We all know exactly what sounds the Ford Lightning needs to play over the speakers while driving:

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Once you are moving at more than about 10mph (parking lot speeds) the sound of tires is louder than engine sounds. There are plenty of well insulated ICE cars that make almost no noise at idle rpm with enough torque to move at parking lot speeds. Hybrids and EVs make a high pitch sound even at fairly low speeds. People need to listen for this new (not that new, it's been around for almost 20 years) sound. Unless all cars sound like commercial trucks when backing up, EVs should not have to be any louder than the quietest ICE cars. I don't have a problem with extra sound as long as I can't hear it on the inside of the car.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Outside the vehicle at low speeds, the speaker would not bother me at all - I have been driving a PHEV for 4 years and have gotten used to the "ummmmm" meditation chant.

Inside the vehicle, my PHEV is so quiet, it's deafening.

For my Lightning inside - I want a jet takeoff blast like Tom Cruise's Top Gun & Maverick movies!
Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning acceleration sound - like it or not? top-gun-2

Slick68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rapid Red Lightning, 68 Mustang, 17 Road Glide
I think the reverse and outside sounds are important for the safety of people on the street. I often come up a street without people knowing I'm behind them, so I'm completely okay with the outside being on all the time. I can't hear it anyway, and from the outside, it sounds a bit like a spaceship.
Will it make a difference? I’ve backed up in parking lots or drove up a street many a time with my ICE vehicle (with all its noise) and the vast majority of people have their noses buried in their damn cell phones, completely oblivious to their surroundings!

Sponsored

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Personally I don't mind the sound. I'd probably use it some of the time. But I wouldn't want it all the time. I really love that you can enable/disable it. I'd go back and forth.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
And likely illegal (not sure of the details of the law however)}
And even if not illegal per se, it would likely support an argument that the vehicle owner was grossly negligent if a pedestrian got hurt because they could not hear the vehicle because a critical safety system had been deliberately disabled.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Probably be just fine...............until you hit someone in a parking lot...Then?
Just don’t hit them?
I’ve owned a Tesla for years, they didn’t have sound warnings back then. No dead pedestrians so far.

Reactions: cag

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
And even if not illegal per se, it would likely support an argument that the vehicle owner was grossly negligent if a pedestrian got hurt because they could not hear the vehicle because a critical safety system had been deliberately disabled.
I’m pretty sure hitting them knocked the speaker wire out. 😉

I don’t care about most of the noise but there is zero reason for it to sound like a dump truck backing up. As someone else said, make the legal requirement that it has to match ICE decibels and call it good.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D

Sponsored

thegangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 F150, 2017 Model S
Probably be just fine...............until you hit someone in a parking lot...Then?
My 2017 Model S pre-dates this requirement and I've magically avoided running over a pedestrian.

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
My Bolt sounds like a UFO.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Just please Lord let me get rid of the 3-tone chime sequence when doors are open or whatever it is. It's my biggest hesitation of joining the Ford "family".
Nope, that's not going to happen. It's been the standard sound in Fords since 2011, and I rather like it.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
They better make that configurable or I am ripping that speaker out regardless of what error message comes up to try and convince me otherwise. I bought a damn EV for a reason, I want it silent.
It has to be configurable. The Mach E has an option to turn the exterior sound on or off.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It has to be configurable. The Mach E has an option to turn the exterior sound on or off.
No it doesn't. You can turn the Propulsion sound on and off, but that is in the interior. You can't turn off the low speed pedestrian sound (external sound).
Sponsored