• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Normanrabbit

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Does your solar system already have a lockout switch and an outlet on the panel near your inverter? mine has one so I can power a fridge or some other emergency device during the day if needed during a power outage. I could also charge the truck but it would just be level 1, 120v so pretty slow.
I do not and I am trying to figure out on how to get one so at least I have partial power for the fridge. If you can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I have the adapter, I need something that negates that plastic ridge they showed in the video
Forgot about that bit...snips and a file maybe?

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I do not and I am trying to figure out on how to get one so at least I have partial power for the fridge. If you can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
Mine came installed from the company that put my solar panels on the house, it was a local solar company not one of the large lease companies. It's built into the inverter and is designed as emergency backup power. With only one outlet it won't do much but I guess it could keep a freezer going during the day.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
"I'm hoping there is also a software configurable option to allow us to selectively further reduce the charge"

Latest NEC I've heard doesn't allow software controlled. Thought being that anyone could burn it up by a keystroke. They wanted the switch/jumper or such inside the device and not able to access from outside.
Not sure there is a great reason to get too low. Otherwise just use L1 on a 12A setting.

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 C Max energi, 2015 C Max energi, 2017 Explore
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
I'm rearranging my 23'x20' garage and need to know if the Lightning would fit. I don't want to place the 80 amp charger where I can't park overnight and charge with the garage door closed. If I need to run big wire over 50' for a 100 amp circuit to the charger from my 200 amp service, what size? Also will that size wire be able to supply back up house power? I think I can put the charger to charge inside or out, but it would be 48' from my panel. I could put the charger next to my panel and charge only in the garage if the Lightning fits. What are others planning? I'm sure the cost to run the 80 amp 48' is much more and has anyone checked into this.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
100amp service wire is large, and hard to manage, and expensive, #4 copper wires or, more commonly, #2 aluminum wires .
No, since the truck can only provide up to 40amps of output, there's no need for any larger wire, matter of fact, it would only need to be 8/3 romex wire to handle 40 amps - much easier to deal with.

You could more easily just run 6/3 romex from your main panel and derate the charger to only 40-50amps, which is PLENTY to charge your vehicle - 80amps is simply overkill.

If you are installing the 80amp and using the FULL 80amp charger output, that's a whole different story - large heavy and expensive wiring to ensue.
If you are installing the 80amp for the automated Sunrun 'whole house' power, then you'll be getting an electrician involved anyway.

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
100amp service wire is large, and hard to manage, and expensive, #4 copper wires or, more commonly, #2 aluminum wires .
No, since the truck can only provide up to 40amps of output, there's no need for any larger wire, matter of fact, it would only need to be 8/3 romex wire to handle 40 amps - much easier to deal with.

You could more easily just run 6/3 romex from your main panel and derate the charger to only 40-50amps, which is PLENTY to charge your vehicle - 80amps is simply overkill.

If you are installing the 80amp and using the FULL 80amp charger output, that's a whole different story - large heavy and expensive wiring to ensue.
If you are installing the 80amp for the automated Sunrun 'whole house' power, then you'll be getting an electrician involved anyway.
Thanks. If I install the 80 amp, I would want the full 80 amps to charge. It's nice to know you are limited to 40 amps back to the house and don't need the bigger wire in case I can't go 80 amps to the charger. I like to know what I need for bids on electrical because most electricians don't understand car charging. I had a 40 amp charger installed in 2013 but the 80 amp charger may need to be put near the 200 amp panel and underground service in the garage. I can't reach outside from my 200 amp panel and that why I wanted to know if 23' was long enough for the Lightning in the garage to close the door. I can charge through a hole now inside or out with the garage door closed, but that charger is 48' from my panel.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The issue is your time available to re-charge it. The second part is the amount of power you consume each day or maximum each day.

I recharge my 65 mile trip each day in 4 hours at about 30 amps on a car. That would end up about 8 hours for f150.

My guess would be to figure 1.5 to 3 mi/kwh since epa and real world not published.

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
The issue is your time available to re-charge it. The second part is the amount of power you consume each day or maximum each day.

I recharge my 65 mile trip each day in 4 hours at about 30 amps on a car. That would end up about 8 hours for f150.

My guess would be to figure 1.5 to 3 mi/kwh since epa and real world not published.
The issue is the time it takes to charge and how long it will last. It takes a powerful battery to push the Lightning and be able to tow 10,000lbs. I plan ahead by buying the latest technology with the most capability at the best cost and investment at the time. An example is I didn't need a 40 amp charger for a plug-in C Max in 2013, but it's old tech now and cars can be charged at home with 80 amps a lot faster. If a charger comes with the car and does what Ford says, I'll wire it to the max. The internal combustion engine is being phased OUT! Prepare for the future because 40 amps will be to small not long from now.

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
well, everyone will have their favored idea of how they want their charging options to provide for them, but another thought about 'fast' charging unfortunately can run contrary to the very idea of EVs and their ability to 'save' us money - 'fast charging when you arrive home at the very time electricity rates are at their highest'. I would rather 'slow', or 'slower', charge over a very long period, where the battery works better over the long term, and at the hours overnight when rates are at their lowest.
Again, few of us are EVER going to arrive home each day needing anything CLOSE to a 'full' charge since we have not gone very far in light of the milage the battery can already provide.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
after viewing the video with Tom M and Ford's intelligent backup power rep, it looks like there are two options to 'whole house charging': Simple and easy, or Automated and expensive.

A) you can choose to go the 'automated' route, with Ford's 80amp Pro IBP charging system setup, and SunRun's equipment, and a licensed Electrician, and permits, and probably over $10,000.00. This system provides an integrated INVERTER to handle the DC 9.6kwh output of the truck's battery, creating the 240v 40amp output back to the home's primary power panel, or a dedicated 'generator subpanel'.

B) you can simply use a 8/3 soow cord with a 30a twist lock 240v male plug to the truck, and the other end a Nema 14-50 male plug back into the very same charging outlet that the provided Ford 32amp charger already uses. This would provide 7.2kw power with 30amps at 240v from the truck back to the home's main power panel, with a breaker interlock, or a dedicated 'generator subpanel' setup, depending on your preference. While a 'manual' whole-house power feed, and 30amps of power, it's certainly as much power as most any home 'needs' for a critical power outage. Plus, nothing keeps you from also making use of the other 2.4kw of power from the other outlets on the truck, with extension cords. Maybe $100.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
well, everyone will have their favored idea of how they want their charging options to provide for them, but another thought about 'fast' charging unfortunately can run contrary to the very idea of EVs and their ability to 'save' us money - 'fast charging when you arrive home at the very time electricity rates are at their highest'. I would rather 'slow', or 'slower', charge over a very long period, where the battery works better over the long term, and at the hours overnight when rates are at their lowest.
Fast charging can be great for EVs taking advantage of super off peak rates. Our utility has a pilot EV rate of 4 cents between midnight and 4am. Definitely need fast charging to fill the lightning in that period.
Sponsored